Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

I will keep that in mind as I write more narratives in the future then. I will update my post later to reflect the font color coordination for character speaking.

Terinatum, I assumed the italicized colored font was what your character was thinking; if that is not the case please let me know so I can address my characters interaction properly. 

Also, I do want to point out that I, Tialoredron, hold no ill will towards any other players on the Pathfinder threads or their characters.  My character however...  As shouldn't be said, I would like to point out that this is just a game and players should not be worked up over how other players are playing [not saying that any of you do, but I have had bad experiences in the past and I enjoyed reading this one and want a good RP session with all of you] and that how Thurindor reacts and responds to your character(s) is how Thurindor reacts and responds to your character(s), not how I feel about you, your character, your world, or how I will react and respond to you, your character, or your world.

If you feel I am playing Thurindor out of character, please let me know so I can develop my skills!

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

I will keep that in mind as I write more narratives in the future then. I will update my post later to reflect the font color coordination for character speaking.

Terinatum, I assumed the italicized colored font was what your character was thinking; if that is not the case please let me know so I can address my characters interaction properly.

Also, I do want to point out that I, Tialoredron, hold no ill will towards any other players on the Pathfinder threads or their characters. My character however... As shouldn't be said, I would like to point out that this is just a game and players should not be worked up over how other players are playing [not saying that any of you do, but I have had bad experiences in the past and I enjoyed reading this one and want a good RP session with all of you] and that how Thurindor reacts and responds to your character(s) is how Thurindor reacts and responds to your character(s), not how I feel about you, your character, your world, or how I will react and respond to you, your character, or your world.

If you feel I am playing Thurindor out of character, please let me know so I can develop my skills!

You can be secretive and somewhat blunt, but all I ask is you attempt to keep it somewhat lighthearted. I don't think any of us will get upset with you if you play a character that's not Mr friendly/sociable, but what I don't want you is attempting to attack other characters and stuff along those lines. I will say that it doesn't make much sense of you to not attempt to support and blend with the group.

Basically meaning if your too much of a pain in the ass why would they keep you around?

Also one note on your post, the statue has not been erected in the town yet, as the stuff under authors note in my post happens a great amount of time after these events.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Fixed the statue reference.

I didn't mean to imply attacking other characters was in Thurindor's options; I agree that if a member is a pain, then there is no reason for the group to keep a member around simply because he is a "player".  I have no issues with Thurindor being put in his place when he needs to [even when he doesn't need to; after all, where is the fun if there is no witty banter between the Sorcerer and Wizard in schools of thought regarding the arcane?]

Looking forward to the update!

Also, is there going to be a night watch that we will be rotating through or are we all falling asleep?  If there is going to be a watch, Thurindor would volunteer first or last watch but otherwise will sleep/meditate after he has completed his studies and preparation.

Speaking of preparation, cn3wton, how would you like me to handle the prepared spells for the day?

Half-elven Ranger

I've been playing darker and occasionally downright evil characters, so I 100% understand Tial's disclaimer. It's basically what cn3wton said, or what I usually say about evil characters not being cartoonish and having something more than just the "oooh I'm eeeevol" gimmick about them. That, or as a friend once put it, "You don't have to be a d*ck to be a paladin" (or a blackguard, for that matter)

As long as things are kept light hearted and Tial's not focused on screwing up the rest of the party, should be OK.

P.S. If you haven't read the Dragonlance novels, please do so urgently, at least the basic trilogy. Raistlin for me is the ideal archetype for your character.

Sent from Parts Unknown, while wrestling with buff guys wearing facepaint

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Raistlin is an amazing character! I have tried to us him as inspiration a few times, but I have a hard time playing a non-good character.  I tend to overthink neutral as not-good and not-bad and end up swinging to good due to my usual nature.  I think I may be able to get away with being good towards the party members and neutral to NPCs, but I have found it extremely difficult managing an evil character with a good party. Due to how heavy the RP is in this system, I figure this is my best chance to step out of the good niche that I usually fill and improve my own RP as DM to my own groups.

Have you read the Twins trilogy? There was another trilogy that I read, but I can't remember what it was called. I remember the main character was a female who wielded a morning star, but without research I can't place any other details. I also have the Dragonlance campaign setting, but haven't found anyone to play with that was interested.  It has landed itself on a shelf and gone untouched for months unfortunately, but I may bring it down and read through it again; especially if I start rereading  Dragonlance.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Next post is up, please post your initiative roll and plans for the battle.

As far as resting/night shifts go there is no need to do that. This traveling sequence was an extra thing for your characters to meet. In an attempt to keep these adventures short and engaging I have cut out stuff like that.

As far as daily spells go assume the whole adventure (8 posts) is about 1 day, maybe 2. Do not feel that you have to save spells however. If you want to rest you can bring it up with the group. But all in all expect that there wont be much rest during these adventures. 

This will also be the first official post of this adventure. It will be 8 posts total. You all have done a great job with the kind of transition post, so please make note that you have all earned 1 Adventure Coin (cant think of a better name) these can be turned in for a prize at the end of the adventure.

I will try to get back to you guys as soon as I can, so that you can post your responses. If you have any questions please let me know.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Random.org gave me a 20 + 2 for 22. That'll be the only one of those I see.

How many skeletons? How far away?

Hare to tell, at least 20. 10 meters in front. Not right on top of you but close

Jibbly.

Elora will cast hypnotize which fascinates 2d4 creatures which if I understand correctly means that they just stop and stare. Random.org gave me 1 and 3 so four hit dice (I'm guessing these guys are one each) just get and magical lobotomy.

She will call for a tactical retreat to a more defensible location (like and alley between buildings). She will ready her bow which is currently unstrung. I can't get the paizo site to load tonight but I'm assuming that will consume my move action or something of that nature

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

When telling me your plan it's for the entire battle. So don't worry about move actions and all that.

Darn. Why did it have to be skeletons again. With their immunity to mind-affecting stuff and all. Should have made a paladin or cleric... *grumbles*

In all seriousness, I rolled a 17, so Bacon's total initiative score is 19. He will cast Mage Armor on himself and use his spear in melee to harass the skellies and create openings for his allies, particularly Bronan who he expects will smash the bonemen once again. Not sure of the technical stuff, but this means a combination of the following actions:

- Fight defensively

- Aid another

- Tactical movement to create flanking opportunities for others

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Jibbly.

Elora will cast hypnotize which fascinates 2d4 creatures which if I understand correctly means that they just stop and stare. Random.org gave me 1 and 3 so four hit dice (I'm guessing these guys are one each) just get and magical lobotomy.

She will call for a tactical retreat to a more defensible location (like and alley between buildings). She will ready her bow which is currently unstrung. I can't get the paizo site to load tonight but I'm assuming that will consume my move action or something of that nature

When telling me your plan it's for the entire battle. So don't worry about move actions and all that.

Then I would add that after casting hypnotize she will string her bow and fall into a support positions and try to encourage the group to get somewhere like the aforementioned alley to funnel the skeletons. She'll drop arrows on skeletons at a +3 to hit and only change tactics if the barbarian begins to fall.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I will keep that in mind as I write more narratives in the future then. I will update my post later to reflect the font color coordination for character speaking.

Also, I do want to point out that I, Tialoredron, hold no ill will towards any other players on the Pathfinder threads or their characters.  My character however...  As shouldn't be said, I would like to point out that this is just a game and players should not be worked up over how other players are playing [not saying that any of you do, but I have had bad experiences in the past and I enjoyed reading this one and want a good RP session with all of you] and that how Thurindor reacts and responds to your character(s) is how Thurindor reacts and responds to your character(s), not how I feel about you, your character, your world, or how I will react and respond to you, your character, or your world.

I third this, more just to state that I understand and agree and want everyone to know your character's actions themselves will not offend me. It's not so much of an issue for my character this time around who is basically just a jolly sum bitch unless you piss him off or offend him in some way, like raising skeletons in front of him, which are his new most hated things ever.

You can be secretive and somewhat blunt, but all I ask is you attempt to keep it somewhat lighthearted. I don't think any of us will get upset with you if you play a character that's not Mr friendly/sociable, but what I don't want you is attempting to attack other characters and stuff along those lines. I will say that it doesn't make much sense of you to not attempt to support and blend with the group.

Basically meaning if your too much of a pain in the ass why would they keep you around?

Also one note on your post, the statue has not been erected in the town yet, as the stuff under authors note in my post happens a great amount of time after these events.

Damn, Bronan smash was my backup plan.

Have meetings this morning, should have intent up this afternoon. Is it ok for me to do my own attack and damage rolls? I like the rolling and adding everything up aspect. Then again, you don't necessarily use the stats much, so it might be a waste of time.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Int -- 21 (17+4)

Flo will grab stones and hard things on the ground to throw at skeletons -- she will keep a biggish one in her off hand to use as a shield, dodgeball style. If she gets too close, she will use her bracers as weapons. SHe will opt for cover and throwing if possible, but mostly she's throwing first, dodging and getting shelter second - her battle lust comes out some, making her safety less important than normal. 

Move through threatened area -- 13

Acrobatics -- 26

Perception -- 25 (-battle mod)

Alright, let's kick these bones!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Yuppers. I put all my speech in quotes. I am thinking of changing the color though that would make it quicker and easier to read. Glad you asked.

@All -- As far as character clashes are concerned...

It is bound to happen with the variety of classes and races involved, it's the realistic part of fantasy that I enjoy. Rough housing and arguments are part of bonding and settling into our 'family' dynamic. So I assume it's all done via character unless statements made are obviously directed toward my playing or other personal aspects of me. I doubt it will come to that, but if it does, one decent apology (in OCC and an edit in game thread) and let us get back to playing.

So far, I have no personal distress over anything, except that I should have bought throwing hammers for Flo, instead of darts! Will she/I never learn? LOL

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I actually thought that was a brilliant way to display the thoughts of your character; I need to go back and adjust Thurindor's text to separate thoughts and sayings; I was very inconsistent in my text.

I will put in my intent as soon as I can, but Thurindor is practically frothing at the mouth at the display of necromantic power and yearns to learn how to control this art of summoning the undead. He will help the party with the threat presented, but I need some time to analyze my characters abilities and will update with a more specific intent along with any results from rolls as appropriate.

Half-elven Ranger

Init: 20

I think this one is pretty straight forward and predictable. Bronan takes his morning star up in his right hand and warhammer (Yay blunt weapons!) in his left and rushes in, attacking with great sweeping swings to try to take out as many skeletons as he can with each (basically trying to cleave without the cleave feat. Don't know what the penalties are). Once the crowd breaks up, he'll start selecting targets to keep them off the others, with Bacon and Flo as the main considerations. 

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Init: 26 (19 rolled + 7 [3 Dex, 4 improved initiative])

Attempt to Turn Undead (DC 10 will save negates); You can, as a standard action, use one of your uses of channel positive energy to cause all undead within 30 feet of you to flee, as if panicked. Undead receive a Will save to negate the effect. The DC for this Will save is equal to 10 + 1/2 your wizard level + your Charisma modifier. Undead that fail their save flee for 1 minute. Intelligent undead receive a new saving throw each round to end the effect. If you use channel energy in this way, it has no other effect (it does not heal or harm nearby creatures). [Normally a cleric specific feat; gained from Necromancy specialization]

If more than half flee, Thurindor will attempt Turn Undead on the remainder that have stayed [assuming those skeletons left over have not been crushed to dust]

If half or less flee, Thurindor will move away from the impending melee and attempt to harass the rival Necromancer with the following:

If Necromancer is in close range (within 25 ft): Ray of Enfeeblement (DC 14 Fortitude Half): A coruscating ray springs from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum 1d6+5). The subject's Strength score cannot drop below 1. A successful Fortitude save reduces this penalty by half. This penalty does not stack with itself. Apply the highest penalty instead.

Otherwise Thurindor will pull out his crossbow and attack the Necromancer.

If the skeletons attempt to get into melee, Thurindor will drop his crossbow and draw his quaterstaff cast Mage Armor defensively and start beating bones in. 

Concentration Check: 15 (11 rolled + 4)

OOC-related; would my character, as a Necromancer, be able to identify the weaknesses of certain weapons in regards to the skeletons? I do not have Knowledge Religion and thus normally do not have access to knowledge of undead, but if Thurindor does know he would make sure to point out that some weapons are not as effective.

IC-related: Would Thurindor have had time to identify the Necromancer as an Arcanist or, even better, a Wizard? Spellcraft is usually used to identify a spell being cast, and Thurindor would like to know if there is the potential for a spellbook as I assume this was a spell that caused the skeletons to rise.

Perception: 18

Spellcraft: 15 Action: Identifying a spell as it is being cast requires no action, but you must be able to clearly see the spell as it is being cast, and this incurs the same penalties as a Perception skill check due to distance, poor conditions, and other factors. 

Task Spellcraft DC Identify a spell as it is being cast 15 + spell level

moot point possibly, but I figured he would still attempt.

Do you want me to also roll the Ranged Touch Attack and Strength damage for the Ray of Enfeeblement spell and/or crossbow attack and damage? Both attacks are Dex based and have an attack modifier of +3.

In case any where wondering, edited my post to reflect character thoughts as bolded and italicized, and what he actually says as italicized only. 

Half-elven Ranger

For what my oppinion's worth, I think spellcraft at best could hint at the type of magic used to raise the dead, which could in turn lead to an educated guess (sorcerer or wizard if it was arcane, probably a cleric if it was divine, perhaps a death knight if it was a supernatural/spell like ability etc) but not downright identify the bad guy's class. Same way that someone who saw Thurindor turning the undead can assume he is a cleric, paladin or something else, but he'd probably need to see him use more of his powers to be certain.

Also, I think the bad guy fled the scene in a quite cinematic way and is not a part of the fight.

As for weapons and skeletons, to me it's nothing mystical, it's pure logic: they have no flesh, no nerves, nothing to cut or stab, you just gotta bash em. In our lucky case anyway, three of us fought skeletons during the first adventure and found that out first hand, Thurindor should know it as a necromancer and Elora certainly has picked up the info as part of her bardic knowledge.

In the end, it's how cn3wton rules it, I'm just trying to make his life easier

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Excellent questions and 3xcellent answers. I will be on my computer shortly to sum up the battle.

I would like to point out to everyone that using the environment is a viable option. Not only for cover, but as a weapon. No blunt weapon? Why not try to find a rock or something as a makeshift weapon. Etc.

I would like to point out to everyone that using the environment is a viable option. Not only for cover, but as a weapon. No blunt weapon? Why not try to find a rock or something as a makeshift weapon. Etc.

What he's trying to say is bash the skellies, grab one of their leg bones and use it as a club to bash more skellies [emoji14]

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Thurindors turn undead does not cause the skeletons to flee, but it does seem to halt them for a bit so that Bronan can finish them off. Or perhaps they just never had the chance? The necromancer is nowhere to be found, so he moves back and attempts to shoot the skeletons moving around bronan. The shots are inneffective however, and 2 make it into close range. He kills them with his staff and suffers no damage himself. (he would know that the quarterstaff would be better suited for killing the skeletons due to the groups shared knowledge). You are unable to tell how the figure managed to raise the skeletons, and you do not recognize it.

Elora attempts to use a mind controlling spell on the group of mindless skeletons and it fails. She does however rally everyone to a defensable position behind bronan. Her arrows prove inneffective but she does manage to bring down 1 skeleton with the help of a well timed spear thrust by bacon.

Flo, a veteran thrower of rocks at skeletons brings 2 down with well placed throws. As a few skeletons move towards bacon she jumps in and assists him, killing 1 with her bracers.

Bronan true to his nature charges in and takes on the brunt of the group. He manages to take down a total of a dozen skeletons in the early frenzy. Being mostly unarmed they only manage to deal 1 damage to him in return. One manages to latch onto his leg but pays for it by being quickly destroyed. He turns to find that what few skeletons made it past him where quickly handled by the group. He then kills the remaining 2 skeletons before him in a single mighty blow.

Bacon seems to have grown bolder and takes his position in front of his ranged comrades. After Bronan initially enters the fray Bacon uses his spear many times to "set up" his friend for easier blows. As a few begin to get past him he positions himself between the ranged group and the skeletons. Using his spear to hold them in place as they rain fire down on it. Elora manages a great shot that kills one. Flo enters the fray and helps him kill the last skeleton to make it past the brobarian.

Alrighty so you guys should be able to make up your posts now. I kept it as vague as possible. This fight definitely plays to bronans strengths but down worry I will create more puzzles and stuff for everybody else in the near future. As always your feedback is appreciated. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, but I will say if someone doesn't smash a skeleton with its own femur I may be a tad bit disappointed!

I will be posting the next actual part of the story tomorrow night, late. So you have the rest of today and most of tomorrow to get your posts up!

• Like 1

Looks good to me! Also a reminder there is no need to post in initiative order

Where is everybody? Lol

I'll give you a bit of an extension... lol

• Like 1