Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

Just d reminder to everyone your next post needs to be up by midday tomorow. If you are not doing any checks there is no need to post intent in this thread you can just post like Gainsdalf did.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Give me some time to demolish my dinner and I'll get right to it, chief!

Edit: Done!

Disclaimer: I know Thurindor is a wizard, not a cleric. It's intentional, Bacon is kinda mocking him for sounding like a cleric while he was turning the undead. His mood and nerves aren't in the best condition, as it becomes apparent further down the post, so it's not the best of humor and might be perceived in an odd way. Just putting this up to remind everyone that it's a character thing. I'm cool as a person with everybody and their characters

Now, back to the action!

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

next part of the story is up. I am super tired (been up since 5am and its not 12pm). So I may come back tomorrow and fluff up the story, but the bear bones of it are there.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Elora 

Initiative: 15

Elora has limited combat magics but she's going to try and get cover behind a pillar from the archers. She'll cast Daze (lose a turn) on whichever of the close melee guards isn't going after Bronan (he's proven very effective in combat already). She'll then cast it (lose a turn) on the other melee fighter, presumably the one who is facing Bronan. Then Flare (-1 on combat rolls) on the first and flare on the second. Basically doing this same process to anyone who enters melee. If we get to a point where melee fighters are done she'll draw a bow and start going after archers.

If anyone tries to engage her in melee she will drift away towards the fighters in the group so that she can continue to sing and perform magic.

Elora's casting come in the form of singing a song. She will sing a sad song of a young prince who fell in love with a princess but every thing he did to hold the power of the kingdom drove her further away until he had to slay her personally as a show of power, after which he never spoke, slept or ate again.

EDIT: just clarify whoe Elora is casting spells on.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Hey guys forgot to say that I need initiative roll and plans in the post, but I see some of you guys have already. Please try to have them up by tomorrow so I can reply and you can start crafting your posts.

Gotta be careful with the narrative approach, skipped over Bacon and Bronan investigating the fountain.

Also, I sort of have an issue. 4 archers above, 4 below, and 2 big guys up front? That's not really something Bronan is going to charge into guns blazing. It's a killing field with everyone else serving a support role and him being the only melee guy.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Sorry I will add a bit more about the fountain in the post. you guys cab also add more as well in your next post. I really just wanted to get something up to give you guys enough time to figure out the battle strategy. I do plan to flesh out my last post when things calm down. Hopefully later tonight.

As far as issues with the battle, do you mean questions, or feel that it's a bit lopsided. All the other members of the group carry a ranged weapon, so the ones above shouldn't be a problem. Also you can use cover to engage the melee guys, once in combat the archers have more of a chance hitting their own men than they do yiu.

Again it's been a super crazy weekend, a funeral, aunt being hospitalized, and someone from work getting in an accident and having to work all day yesterday, so I really haven't had the time to refine the last post like I wanted. If you want me to alter the battle let me know. Hopefully I'll have time later today.

Gotta be careful with the narrative approach, skipped over Bacon and Bronan investigating the fountain.

Also, I sort of have an issue. 4 archers above, 4 below, and 2 big guys up front? That's not really something Bronan is going to charge into guns blazing. It's a killing field with everyone else serving a support role and him being the only melee guy.

What are you thinking  Bronan will do. I'd be happy to adapt my post if Bronan is taking cover as well. 

I mean it's losided, at least for the opening part. There are 8 archers ready to pop the first one through the door, unless you're not giving them preemptive strike of some sort and still going based on actual initiative. I'm imagining them all sitting there with arrows knocked and half drawn.

I guess there's not really a choice with that green fog closing in.

Initiative: 18

Bronan readies his shield, held high and in front of his face to protect his head from any incoming arrows for above or in front, and charges in, trying to close the gap between he and the right melee brute as quickly as possible (such that the additional attcker comes at his shield side. He will keep close in battle, maneuvering to keep the brutes between he and the archers as much as possible while trying to dispatch them with his morningstar.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

How I envisioned it was there is a small area the group is standing in after entering the roOm. You only see the robed figure, the two holding the sacrafice, and the two bruisers. After he stops speaking and the fight begins the archers step out from behind cover. So they will roll for initiative because they didn't have line if sight on you.

Also two of the guys (the ones holding the sacrafice) leave with the robed figure. I don't know if I made that clear enough.

Ah, that makes a difference. I hadn't realized we were inside already and that there was cover of any kind.

Hum...

I think Flo would first shoot at the brute that Bronan doesn't run toward, get cover, and then aim at the archers and fire from behind cover. She would definitely not stay in the doorway as it's confining her area of attack and bottle-necking the group.

Int is and was 19

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

So the post has been altered. I am much happier with this one.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53425-pathfinder-journeys/?p=1459740

I have also removed 4 of the archers, and given you the opportunity for a sneak attack of some sort. I realize that this may change everyones tactics, so I think I will push this post back until friday to give you the time you need. 

I want to thank you guys for your patience and feedback. As far as the world of RPG's goes I am still pretty new to this whole dming (or gming in pathfinder). So I appreciate all your suggestions and feedback. I want to make this as enjoyable as I can for everyone involved!

It has been a crazy weekend, but I feel I was finally able to get some time to really bring this post up to par. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone, I've been on and off the net these days, with all the "moving to a new town and a new job" thing. Still no internet at home, logging in from the tablet at work so long reads and posts are not that easy. I'll check the story post asap and I'm pretty confident I will have my part up by the deadline.

P.S. Since I can't do it from the tablet, those with modding power, please remember to edit my future post on the story thread (all blue, Font is Comic Sans, sayings/thoughts in italic)

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

No problem, I've really been enjyoing everything. Hope your aunt and work compadre are feeling better.

500 / 330 / 625

Okay, one more revision. lol

Initiative: 19

first and second moves if they present as such which they seem to, but your call: combat reflexes feat (adds 4 atts. of opportunity. - not rogue, just fighter) I will shoot twice at one of the big new enemies as I'm one number ahead of Bro with initiative, I won't know which one he's going after so how do we do this blindly? I can PM you with my decision and Bro can PM you his?

third and forth moves:  fire twice at the archers, one shot against each.

Find cover!

The Way

Better Now than Later On

You can always elect to slide further back in combat order if you're waiting on someone else's actions.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Okay, one more revision. lol

Initiative: 19

first and second moves if they present as such which they seem to, but your call: combat reflexes feat (adds 4 atts. of opportunity. - not rogue, just fighter) I will shoot twice at one of the big new enemies as I'm one number ahead of Bro with initiative, I won't know which one he's going after so how do we do this blindly? I can PM you with my decision and Bro can PM you his?

third and forth moves:  fire twice at the archers, one shot against each.

Find cover!

Disclaimer: Minor rules lawyering rant to follow. Not trying to ruin anyone's fun, just a clarification. cn3wton's word is final and I'm just trying to make it easier for him as far as rules are concerned. If it's too much or ruins his narrative, he's free to overlook all that, of course :)

Not sure about Pathfinder, but in 3,5 ed. D&d, Combat Refexes allowed the hero to perform as many Attacks of Opportunity (AOO) as his/her Dex modifier. So without it, you had a random free shot at whoever passed by you, cast a spell adjacent to you etc and everyone else pretty much strolled by, because you couldn't hit em all. Combat Reflexes lifted that obstacle, which made it great for the party's "Tank" character to go ahead and make it really hard for opponents to bypass him/her and get to the weaker members on the back.

That said, you still need a high Base Attack that grants you extra attacks per round, and using the Full Attack action as well (full round action) in order to fire several arrows per round. Having Combat Reflexes alone doesn't allow for any extra attacks on its own. Also, I'm fairly sure it takes a melee weapon to perform an AOO, it's kind of like a wild swing against a careless nearby enemy. Not sure if careless targets at a distance would trigger a shot from Flo.

Initiative: 22

Bacon will look at the others for a moment, to discern if they mean to stay put and hear more or intend to go in. If he sees that the latter is the case, he will attempt to sneak in (Rolled a 6, plus 2 Dex bonus, oops!) and go for cover. Mage Armor should still be in effect, so depending on what the situation looks like, he will:

- Fight defensively while popping in and out of cover, to draw the archers' attention and fire, in order to give Bronan and the others a chance to move around

- If the archers seem to ignore him, he will use some more Mudball tokens/scrolls to blind them, for the same reasons as above

- As a last resort, he will use his crossbow to lay some "supressive fire"

- If the robed figure doesn't run away but instead stays and does any suspicious stuff, such as attempting to cast a spell, Bacon will use his token/scroll to cast Ear-Piercing Shout at him

Lvl 65 Multitasker

@DarKzRaideR, et all...

Interesting. I didn't read that. Thanks for sharing that,  man. I knew it was a hard hitting feat, I guess the modifiers is something I overlooked or scrubbed from my memory so I could get away with it! lol Hey! I'm a thief at heart. Whatever works for me, right. LOL 

@Gains, et all

I could do that actually, but I think she wouldn't recognize that option this early in her career. Thanks for saying something.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

@DarKzRaideR, et all...

Interesting. I didn't read that. Thanks for sharing that,  man. I knew it was a hard hitting feat, I guess the modifiers is something I overlooked or scrubbed from my memory so I could get away with it! lol Hey! I'm a thief at heart. Whatever works for me, right. LOL 

It's cool, I'm glad you took it that way. In my many years of gaming (mostly as a DM, mind you) I know it's never easy to tell somebody "uhm, that's cool, but technically, you can't quite do it"

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

LOL yeah, I've come across that a lot in my years! No worries, I'm new to the new rules so all the help I can get, the better.

It's cool, I'm glad you took it that way. In my many years of gaming (mostly as a DM, mind you) I know it's never easy to tell somebody "uhm, that's cool, but technically, you can't quite do it"

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Later On

repost, based on the changed number of archers. Elora will work to hold down the archers with Daze (lose a turn)

Initiative 19

Daze archers (meaning they must be able to see and hear Elora as she sings) so they each lose a turn. She'll daze whichever archer was most effective in the last round. She will attempt to not directly engage in Melee. If she is forced to, she will use her longsword (which means she can't cast because combat uses the same action slot).

Bacon hits one of the closer archers, one by the statue with a mudball. Blinding it. He then moves from cover to cover shooting at this group of archers. He scores a small hit on the one he did not blind, and a pretty serious wound on the one he did. They continue to fire, but due to bacons supressing fire and the amount of debris between the group and them, they are unable to hit. The archers that had been heading up the ramp however, rain shots that get dangerously close to the group. The two archers from around the statue, seeing their arrows useless enter the melee. Bacon kills the first with eloras assistance. She then kills the other (who had been blinded by bacon earlier) with his assistance.

Elora however manages to distract the archers that are going up the ramp, this makes them extremely slow on the uptake. Providing plenty of time for flo to take aim and start raining arrows on them once bronan moves into range with the bruisers. Once they are thoroughly distracted she turns her attention to the two men by the statue. Seeing that their arrows prove futile they draw steel and elora moves into the melee to support bacon. Together they take down the men however. Bacon striking the first down, while elora takes down the second who had previously been blinded.

Flo, not wasting any time, deals a devastating shot to the left bruiser, putting him off balance for the beginning of the fight. She attempts to fire another shot, but quickly sees bronan growing to near the melee and chooses not to risk putting an arrow in her friend. Seeing the archers distracted on the ramp she takes aim. Her first shot deals a moderate wound. They begin to return fire and she finishes the one she had wounded off. It then takes her a single shot to kill the final archer.

Bronan charges into the melee. A few archers attempt quick shots at him but they are deflected by his shield. He takes them both head on, one significantly wounded by flo is an easy target. He dispatches them in close combat, taking blows to his shield. He slays the unharmed man first, then the other. His battle with the 2 men ends shortly after all the archers fall.

So thats everybody who posts. I have messaged Tialoredron and sadly have not recieved a reply... I am trying to keep this vague enough so you can craft your own heroic tale. But honestly its not that hard, especially for bronan. Hey he goes in, wails on the guys, ends up killing them. Lol,

Just a quick thing, I have basically abandoned rolling and all that. I just dont have the time to sit down and roll it all out. I like it being a bit more narrative, and I think it has been working well. This makes it a bit more of an even playing field, and everyone feels as though they can contribute. If anyone has issue with this let me know and we can try to figure something out. But I will say that I greatly prefer it this way, and it takes a lot of stress out of it. I still try to abide by the rules and that kind of stuff. So its not like thats getting thrown out the window as well. 

Rolls will still be involved for things like dodging traps etc, where I will have you guys roll. But I just don't like the idea of rolling for you guys. If that makes sense. On top of that, like I said, its just too time consuming and just not as interesting when i "roll it out".

As always thoughts/feeling/feedback is appreciated.

Nice teamwork between Bacon and Elora! I'll try to come up with some stuff to post, hope TML doesn't mind if I take a few liberties. Otherwise we can sort it out via PMs so we don't spam this topic

Just a quick thing, I have basically abandoned rolling and all that. I just dont have the time to sit down and roll it all out. I like it being a bit more narrative, and I think it has been working well. This makes it a bit more of an even playing field, and everyone feels as though they can contribute. If anyone has issue with this let me know and we can try to figure something out. But I will say that I greatly prefer it this way, and it takes a lot of stress out of it. I still try to abide by the rules and that kind of stuff. So its not like thats getting thrown out the window as well. 

Rolls will still be involved for things like dodging traps etc, where I will have you guys roll. But I just don't like the idea of rolling for you guys. If that makes sense. On top of that, like I said, its just too time consuming and just not as interesting when i "roll it out".

Personally, I am 100% in support of your approach. It works and it fits playing by post. Dice are more suitable when playing around the table. Once again, thanks for the time you put into this.

Lvl 65 Multitasker