Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

Hey Cn3wton, and players

Hum... for me, the postings have been interesting as far as finding Flo's rhythm and letting her take steps into her fighter persona.

The battles were repetitive, but unsure how that would change unless the type of fighting we're doing is changed up each time and that can be a lot of work on your part. I suspect taking the extra time is wise.

The adventure itself was too predetermined for me and I would want more of a risk. I haven't felt Flo's life to be at risk in this adventure, like the first one. I don't want Flo to die! LOL But it's hard to imagine what her fear and desperate actions in battle would be when I'm given a green light to take out the baddies without too much damage.

There also isn't a lot of damage control time or healing after battles. I know you want short adventures, but I would love more after battle time, puzzle-solving - like you mentioned - and player and NPC interactions. I would love to roll more in the game - perhaps the puzzles will help with that.

What works is the atmosphere you put us in. Your writing is wonderful. I feel like Flo can interact with her surroundings quite well. Your dedication to the game is really helpful in feeling the flow of the story too. Two posts a week is great as far as I can tell. I think planning it out more will give us more freedom and you will have more ways to get us where you want us.

As always, I am very happy with your desire and ability to make this possible. Thank you so much,

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Another adventure wrapped up and thank the gods we're not sticking to the rules for rolling and tactical combat, because Bronan's final fight would have us all looking into the grappling rules. Those and mounted combat rules are ALL the ugh.

Joking aside, once again congratulations to everyone for their input and especially cn3wton for the dedication. Now, for a pros and cons analysis....

Pros

- Pacing was good, although I wouldn't call the adventure "short"

- Some excellent writing by cn3wton to get us into the mood. It's raised the bar for everybody, I can see how all the players have improved theirs compared to the first adventure

- I liked how cn3wton took the liberty to narrate the characters going forward until it was time for us to make a decision that actually mattered. Didn't feel like restriction/railroading and it kept the game from bogging down

- Narrative approach to combat worked ok, although I have to agree with Terinatum about being greenlighted to be a badass without risking the character's life. I think I preferred the previous mode of stating our intentions OOC, getting the results and making our post

- Bronan's posts. They are priceless for a laugh and push me to bring out the sillier side of my gnome

Cons

- Have mercy, no more undead please. Seriously, it's not just that it's repetitive. With me and TML relying on mind-affecting spells, their immunity really disarms us. No priest or paladin around, Tialoredron's Turn Undead gave us little help and he dropped out after a while

- I was a little lost with what's going on, the history, the flashbacks etc the way they were written. That's also due to some personal life chaos that kept me from getting 100% into the whole thing. I'm glad I play a sorcerer, because if Bacon was a wizardly bookworm or a travelled bard, I'd feel really lost if I wasn't able to get into the groove of all that

- The "hold your ground for X time" thing at the entrance was a great alternative. Didn't work that well for the finale, as it felt kinda repetitive. Guess it made up for Bronan missing the first one though, as he got the chance to solo duel the final boss

- We could do with a few riddles or puzzles, requiring us players to think instead of the characters making an Intelligence/Wisdom check. I'd also like some social interaction, but I understand that stuff is suited for the gaming table, not playing by post

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Pros

- I agree with everyone else that the writing is really superb, by both players and DM.It brings so much life to the game.

- I'm loving the cahracters, and how they intereact.

- You're a great sotryteller, I'm feeling really invested and looking forward to see where these guys go

Cons

- I like the battle more from last time around better, with posting our intentions, getting the results and flow of the round, then doing our posts.

- I don't like typing others' actions like in that last battle

- Kinda miss rolling as well. I know it's a pain though form the DM perspective and takes forever, as I used to do it myself. I think the main part is that I put so much thought into building my character sheet, both in the beginning and with each level, but I don't get to really use any of it if rolling isn't involved. Bronan "raged" in that last battle, but it was only for a narative effect.

-would love puzzles and thinking that we have to solve vs ability checks. I always find those more fun anyway.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

There are indeed. I am going to have it all written up beforehand so I'll need a week or so.

I am thinking about having a good amount of time pass in the world (like 4-5) years. You guys can sort of post more about your characters and develop them a bit more. Thoughts?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Ok so I have listened and heres my plan.

I am going to write up the majority of the adventure beforehand so I don't have to just "wing it" all the time.

I will be including more puzzles that require actual thinking by you guys and problem solving.

I am going to incorporate rolls that you have to perform. Things like strength, perception, and knowledge checks will be coming back.

I will be reducing the frequency of battles, in hopes of further expanding role play.

I am considering slowing down the pace a bit. Adventures wont necessarily have to finish in the 8 post time frame, you will just level up after 8 posts.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I like it the pre-writing and the time span.

Along that line, should we...

• write up stuff together for the 4-5 year gap? Assuming we stay together?
  • should we part ways a bit, developing our character individually?
  • other?

Not to be a level hog, but will we be advancing before the start of the next adventure?

I assume between this adventure and the years following, we would have gained a little something. I'd like to be able to incorporate in Flo's story, new skills and tricks she's been learning, but I don't want to leap into level skills if that's not what we're doing. Please advise, thanks.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Yes you can level up. And it's up to you guys to determine what you do during the time gap.

Hey guys I am going to be posting something wednesday. It will be sort of like the transition from the first to second adventure. Primarily role play and setting up the stuff for the next adventure. 

Please post anything you want to do concerning what you do while following the trail of the eagle by tomorrow night. 

I will be away all weekend and really want to get this up beforehand. I have some great stuff planned for this next adventure!

• Like 1

The next part is up, we are going to try something new here. You can visit 3 places before you have to be at the castle for dinner. You pick one of the following, or suggest your own! Its important to note you can explore whatever you want.

blacksmith shop

library

shamans home

the inn

the castle

the market

the edge of the forest/the forest

A bit of info about the town. There aren't any real poor/rich areas. Wealth seemed to be evenly divided. The people also do not tend to stick near their own kind. Merchants tend to live near the market etc. Though there are small areas where similar races do group together for various different reasons (religion/etc). So if theres an area like this that you think your character would want to try and visit suggest it here.

By friday I will try to have everyone answered so they can form their posts. Please have yourideas in by then as I will be gone for the weekend!

Make sure you level up too, rolling will be important, primarily skill checks. Speaking of if theres anything you think you should check feel free to add a skill check into your post. You can use a dice roller online or a real dice. Just tell me the result!

• Like 1

Character leveled. Rolled another 12 for HP, which was awesome. Got cleave as my feat, added skill points, picked up trap sense per the class. Not going to type up a background of adventures, I'll leave it vague.

What loot did we get since the last adventure? No point in hitting the blacksmith or the shaman's place if we didn't get any extra cash money.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Oh knew I forgot something. You have acquired 2000 gold through your own adventuring/completing the last part.

Also its good to know that these are all points of interest with story attached to them. So a store might not just be about shopping.

Bronan is visiting the Shamar, the blacksmith, and the market.

500 / 330 / 625

Bacon's all levelled up (crap, I rolled a 1 for hp!) except the equipment which I will arrange tomorrow. I can however tell you that his frequent brushes with the undead made him go buy a gnome hooked hammer ;)

Gonna post the character sheet tomorrow, along with what he's been doing between adventures. As for places to visit, he'll go to the Shaman's lodge, the Forest and any part of the city where fey/woodland creatures live. If there's no such thing, he'll go to the gnome district instead

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Flo's intentions & questions:

Is the family that greeted them human? If not, what race if obvious?

Flo will visit the town in such a way as to check on the local thieve's guild. She will likely think she won't find it easily as the town has that balanced and calm feeling. If she finds evidence of one, she will pay her respects and whatever the vistor's fee is. She will ask about the town and its politics, its current state of well-being. She will also ask for news on the 'big things' going on in the world and she will offer what she knows as well.

The market will give Flo a chance to see the people in their own environment and get a sense of the mood on the surface anyway, and hopefully find fresh fruit, too. She won't do anything to interrupt folks or make a scene except just by being a shopper/tourist. She will however try to discern the actual condition of the town physically. She will use her knowledge base of engineering (rolled [w/ +2 bonus]: 17, 9, and 13 if you want to use them) to figure out things like: have buildings been repaired lately? Are any lanes or streets unusable or brand new? And are there any constables or officers making rounds regularly.

Flo will also check out the Inn, assuming it's the one they will be staying at. Ask for fine bottle of wine for later that night when they return from their dinner, and she will pay well for a hot meal before exploring the above areas.

*haven't decided on new skills, except that she will be uping her fighter level as opposed to her rouge. And like Bronan, Flo rolled max hit points for this level: 10, yay!

Thx cn3wton. I'm excited to get going again!

The Way

Better Now than Later On

MOAR BACON!

Race: Gnome

Class/Level: Sorcerer 3

Alignment: Chaotic good

Hit points: 17

Armor Class: 13 = 10+1(Size)+2(DEX)

Initiative: +2 (DEX)

Attacks: Small longspear +1 (1d6, X3, brace, reach) or gnome hooked hammer +1 (1d6/1d4)

Small light crossbow +3 (1d6 dmg, 19-20/X2, 80ft.)

STR         10

DEX        15

CON       14

INT         14

WIS        11

CHA       17

Gnome traits

·Small size (+1 AC, +1 attack, -1 CMD and CMB, +4 Stealth)

·Slow Speed (20ft)

·Low-light vision

·Defensive training (+4 AC vs giants)

·Gnome magic (+1 DC to illusion spells, 1/day: dancing lights, ghost sound, prestigidation, speak with animals, caster level equal to character level, DC 10+spell level+CHA mod)

·Hatred (+1 attack against goblinod and reptilian foes)

·Illusion resistance (+2 to saves)

·Keen senses (+2 Perception)

·Obsessive (+2 to Craft or Profession of choice)

·Weapon familiarity (gnome)

·Languages: Common, Gnome, Sylvan, Draconic, Goblin

Base Attack Bonus: +1

Saves

Fortitude: +3 = 1(base)+2(CON)

Reflex: +3 = 1(base)+2(DEX)

Will: +3 = 3(base)+0(WIS)

Skills

Bluff +7 = 4(rank)+3(CHA)

Knowledge (arcana) +4 = 2(rank)+2(INT)

Knowledge (nature) +2 = 0(rank)+2(INT)

Perception +2(Keen Senses)

Profession (cook) +6 = 2(rank)+2(INT)+2(Obsessive)

Spellcraft +4 = 2(rank)+2(INT)

Use Magic Device +5 = 2(rank)+3(CHA)

Feats: Arcane Strike, Eschew Materials, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Fey Bloodline (+2 DC to compulsion spells), Dodge

Laughing Touch (Sp): At 1st level, you can cause a creature to burst out laughing for 1 round as a melee touch attack. A laughing creature can only take a move action but can defend itself normally. Once a creature has been affected by laughing touch, it is immune to its effects for 24 hours. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This is a mind-affecting effect.)

Woodland Stride (Ex): At 3rd level, you can move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at your normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect you.

Equipment:

Gnome Hooked Hammer (1d6/1d4 dmg, 6lbs, double, trip)

Small longspear (1d6 dmg, X3 crit, 9lbs, brace, reach)

Small light crossbow (1d6 dmg, 19-20/X2, 80ft., 4lbs)

10 Crossbow bolts (1lb)

Backpack (2lb)

Bedroll (5lb)

Blanket, winter (3lbs)

Iron Pot (4lbs)

Rope, hemp 50ft (10lbs)

Waterskin (4lbs)

Entertainer’s Outfit (4lbs)

Buffering Cap Tattoo (once per day, convert one critical hit sustained to nonlethal damage)

326gp, 6sp, 52 lbs carried

Scrolls

Comprehend Languages

Ear-Piercing Scream

Disguise Self

Ray of Enfeeblement

Reduce Person

Spells Known (5/3)

Level 0: Detect MagicLightTouch of FatigueMessageMage Hand

Level 1: Mage ArmorColor Spray, Keep Watch, Entangle (Bloodline Spell)

Spells/day(Cantrips at will, 5+1 lvl 1 spells)

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Post is up. I took the chance to insert some info about what Bacon has been doing all this time. His mentality has been reworked to reflect the effect of those 5 years and the group's adventuring experience on him. His social skills have diminished a bit, which means using Enchantment spells and his newly acquired Bluff skill will be a lot less smooth. Less grace, more blunt magic; if that makes him lean towards a less good standpoint on the alignment spectrum down the road, it'll be an interesting development. Finally, I used the minimum hp roll along with the head tattoo to whip up a story about disease to match cn3wton's gritty take of the world :)

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

So a few questions for you, cn3wton.

1. I found two feats that would be great stacked, but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Info I have found is below for references.

Weapon Finesse Use Dex instead of Str on attack rolls with light weapons

Weapon Finesse (Combat)

You are trained in using your agility in melee combat, as opposed to brute strength.

Benefit: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.

Special: Natural weapons are considered light weapons.

---------

Agile Maneuvers Use your Dex bonus when calculating your CMB

Agile Maneuvers (Combat)

You've learned to use your quickness in place of brute force when performing combat maneuvers.

Benefit: You add your Dexterity bonus to your base attack bonus and size bonus when determining your Combat Maneuver Bonus (see Combat) instead of your Strength bonus.

Normal: You add your Strength bonus to your base attack bonus and size bonus when determining your Combat Maneuver Bonus.

-----

My original stat bonuses::

STR:: -1

DEX:: +4

CON:: 0

INT:: +1

WIS:: +2

CHR:: 0

BASE ATT Bonus:: +2

So CMB would be:: -1

And CMD would be:: +5 (plus the base of 10)

With  Agility Maneuvers, it would be:: CMB:: +8

With Weapon finese, it would be:: CMB:: +6

SO with both it would be:: CMB:: +12

Is this right?!

---------

2. Plus last time we had decided that the attacks of opportunities within the feat, Combat Reflexes, was not available to me, because I needed more levels or base attack bonuses. However that prerequisite is not in the feat chart. So what do I do?

Combat Reflexes   Make additional attacks of opportunity

Combat Reflexes (Combat)

You can make additional attacks of opportunity.

Benefit: You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity per round equal to your Dexterity bonus. With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Normal: A character without this feat can make only one attack of opportunity per round and can't make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Special: The Combat Reflexes feat does not allow a rogue to use her opportunist ability more than once per round.

If I can't stack the bonuses, may I switch feats?

Thanks. I know you're out for the weekend so no worries about a quick answer.

------

3. Are we writing up the town visit before you give us info on where we go? Or are we waiting for you to tell us what we are encountering?

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Hi I don't have the rulebook with me so I'm not 100% sure but combat maneuvers are listed in the book. Things like bull rushing (slamming into an enemy and pushing them back) etc. You should also gain attack die in the near future I would think.

I will.be adding story for each place you visit before you post anything.

• Like 1

Weapon Finesse refers to melee attack rolls, as in, when trying to inflict damage. Agile Maneuvers is activated when doing a Combat Maneuver (Disarm, Trip, Sunder etc). Two different things, no reason for them to stack

Flo's original stat bonuses::

STR:: -1

DEX:: +4

BASE ATT Bonus:: +2

So CMB would be:: -1  <--- That would be +1 (+2 Base Attack, -1 STR) not -1

And CMD would be:: +5 (plus the base of 10)

With  Agility Maneuvers, it would be:: CMB:: +8 <--- +6 Actually (+2 Base Attack, +4 DEX)

With Weapon finese, it would be:: CMB:: +6 <--- Nope, because a Combat Maneuver is not an Attack roll

SO with both it would be:: CMB:: +12 <--- Nope, because they're used on different occasions

What Weapon Finesse does is that when you attack somebody with a light weapon, instead of adding +1 to your Attack Roll (+2 Base Attack, -1 STR) you would add +6 (+2 Base Attack, +4 DEX).

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker