Forums are back in action! ×

Hi! I, like several others I have seen, have been lurking for a while before gathering the courage to actually post.

I'm male, 52, 5'10", and last weigh in was 188 lbs and 26% body fat. t needs to get better, but it HAS been worse! April of 2013 found me topping out at 219 lbs :nightmare:, all of it fat. 3 years of under-employment, a sucky job, and stress eating took its toll. I got into Weight Watchers, and lost 35 lbs over the course of the next year, dropping to 180 lbs. The down side? I was constantly HUNGRY, and cruised the kitchen looking for contraband snacks like a shark in the shallows. I also was feeling really weak- just out of it. Then I  found StrongLifts 5x5, decided to try it out.  I love the program- it's  simple, requires relatively little time, has an App for tracking, etc. I have been at it for about 10 weeks and have felt a tremendous improvement in my strength- although my weight has gone up some (I dropped the WW for a bit), I'm more concerned with how I feel than a number on the scale.

Now I have hit my first speed bump- earlier this week I got hit with a flu virus, which put me down and out for 2 days. Then, when I felt well enough to start lifting again, I managed to hurt my back while squatting 135lbs. Poor form, I knew it when it happened. Thankfully, I don't think it's serious, just uncomfortable for now.

My big question for the community- What is the best way to work out while healing? Alternatives to SL 5x5 that might be easier on the back for a bit? Back strengthening exercises?

Any advice would be welcome!

Hi Jeff,

Welcome. Glad you posted. SL5x5 is wonderful, glad you found it for yourself!

Back injuries can be tricky to heal directly. I often have to work on support muscles like abs and obliques when my back acts up -- I have a reoccurring thing. You've got it right already though: stay active and you heal faster.

If you can do any non-back exercise without pain, definitely keep it up. You may want to bring the weight or reps down a bit if your back is a major secondary muscle in that exercise.

I would think bodyweight exercises would be good. You can do bridges, planks, leg lifts, knees lifted to chest, the yoga cat move - arching and sagging, shoulder blade squeeze, etc... Just pay attention to your back - if it gets worse, lay off it.

*** If you can get in a pool and swim, that would be awesome.

Real advice? Go over to the Warriors thread and ask away. They will be more than happy to point you in a good direction.

You have started a great part of your life, congrats! See you around the 'hood.

Cheers, T

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On