Forums are back in action! ×

Hey all my name is Mike, I am from the Seattle Washington area. At the age of 15 I discovered that I had a pretty sever knee issue. Fast forward 17 years and 3 knee surgeries and 6 leg surgeries later and I went from a healthy 200lbs to a very unhealthy 408lbs. I started working on my weight 5 months ago and managed on just diet alone to lose 48 lbs. I am now working in exercise into my daily routine. I just went in to have a lubricating injection into my knee and found out that if I dont lose the weight I am looking at a knee replacement in the next 3 to 4 years. So I am now more then ever focused on losing the weight. I am working with free weights 3 days a week riding 8 miles on my bike 4 days a week and swimming two days a week and hoping i can stay focused. I have been working out the last 5 weeks and have seen 8lbs lost so far. Is there any low impact exercises that other people have found worked out well for them? Also any suggestions on exercises that can help work you into running/jogging? I look forward to hearing back from everyone and am excited to meet others on the same journey as I am..

Mike 

• Like 1

Hi Mike! I have a friend in a similar situation, only she's having to lose weight to even get a knee replacement. Oof, it's a rough spot to be in either way. I don't have any suggestions about exercises, so I hope you'll be able to find answers here from somebody. Welcome! :)

My body tells me no, but I want more! I. Want. More!

Current Challenge
Pavel Sneaks Back In

Level 2

Half Orc

Assassin

Hi Mike! I have a friend in a similar situation, only she's having to lose weight to even get a knee replacement. Oof, it's a rough spot to be in either way. I don't have any suggestions about exercises, so I hope you'll be able to find answers here from somebody. Welcome! :)

I have a co worker that is  in the same spot she has to lose weight to get her knee replaced. With the exercises I am working with a Physical therapist and a personal trainer so I have plenty but I am always looking for something new to switch things up. Thanks for the welcoming:) 

I don't know if this will help, but I've recently come across an app called "Zombies, Run!". It's a listen along game that tracks you pedometer. As the story progresses, you'll have to outrun zombies (sounds) chasing you, and you pick up items that help with your town. I've gotten to chapter three so far, and I gotta say, it's pretty funn. You don't have to run they the entire story, only when you hear zombies

Hey Mike.  There's a LOT of people on here (myself included) who have suffered injury or poor health, so you'll find yourself in good company.  At the moment I would say that any exercise at all is good, and you're already doing the two things (swimming and cycling) that I would have steered you towards, so that's great!  What I always say to people is "Do what you enjoy."  There are no right or wrong answers to getting fit and healthy, but if you enjoy what you're doing you're far more likely to stick at it.  Group activities that have a social aspect are a good idea too as you get a built-in support network.

When I started my journey, I couldn't walk very far let alone run, so I had to think of ways to get active that were "low impact".  Swimming and aqua aerobics were great for me back then, and lifting weights was a game changer and something I think you should consider if you haven't already.  Don't make the mistake of thinking "I'm trying to get fit and slim down, not bulk up" because believe me, when you lift heavy you are working your cardio vascular system too, and burning one Hell of a lot of calories.  

If you're keen to get into running then a lot of people do the Couch to 5K (or C25K) program and find it very successful.  

Anyway, hope there's something of use in there, and congrats on the weightloss so far. *highfive*

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously