Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone, I really don't know what to say or put in here.

I've been strolling this website a bit for the past few days, and I've decided to sign up here in the forums. I'm basicaly just wanting to improve my general life and health. I'm a bit overweight and just want to lose that all that fat, whilst hopefuly getting some muscle as well (no delusions of great big muscles or anything - just want strength so that I can tasks that might come my way - say I want to move a heavy piece of furniture in the house for example).

I guess I should talk a bit about myself as well. I'm 25 years old, about 1.72m in height and currently weigthing 85kg. I have asthma, but that's not been a problem for me, and I've not had any issues with it whilst doing exercise. I'm a web programmer and outside of work I spend most of my time playing PC games and/or on imgur. I enjoy reading, though I don't do it very much. Love to watch some TV shows as well, but I just don't have much time for that lately (spend all my time playing games!). That's pretty much it I guess.

I just don't quite know what do to, or how to do it. I've read quite a few blog entries in here. I'm currently trying Paleo diet, started on Monday. I'm not really afraid of the kitchen, so I had that going for me which was nice, and I've been cooking my own meals since then. Now I know the basics, but I've always stayed quite a bit away from vegetables, so most of them I have no idea how to prepare or cook. Carrots, cucumber, green beans are all okay for me, so that's what I've been using. 

So yeah, that's my diet for now. In regards to exercise, I've been going to the gym for the past few months, on and off really but still managed to get somethings done. I was mostly doing just steady cardio. I thought I was in really bad shape since my heart rate would always be very high up (could reach 180 in the elliptical without much effort) and always felt afraid to push my body harder because I was afraid of getting the heart rate up beyond that point. To be honest, I've since done some research but am still not entirely sure if it's okay or not to have your heart rate go really far up when doing cardio. But that's basically what I used to do.

My plan going forward is doing the begginers body weight workout on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and do cardio on Thursday and maybe Saturday or Sunday (I can't do tuesdays). Is this a good plan?

P.S. There's a question I had about interval training, which I want to attempt today. I will be doing it in the elliptical and I just do not know if when I'm sprinting I'm just meant to go faster but stay in the same level of difficulty, or if I should go faster and increase the level.

P.P.S. I'm quite shy and really don't feel very comfortable at the gym, so I'll be going to the gym to do interval training, and I'll do the body weight workout at home (until I'm happy I got the form right and know how to do the exercises).

I hope I did this post right

Hi snake, welcome!!

I've been lurking around the nerd fitness website for over a month, there's a lot of helpful resources here to help you exercise right. I really like the bodyweight workout, it's also one of my exercising staples :) 

There's also a ton of motivational content, so I'm sure you'll find a good start on your path to weight loss here. 

I think working out and getting fit is an amazing way to develop self-confidence, it will surely help you with your shyness :)

Good luck!!

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Hi snake, welcome!!

I've been lurking around the nerd fitness website for over a month, there's a lot of helpful resources here to help you exercise right. I really like the bodyweight workout, it's also one of my exercising staples :)

There's also a ton of motivational content, so I'm sure you'll find a good start on your path to weight loss here. 

I think working out and getting fit is an amazing way to develop self-confidence, it will surely help you with your shyness :)

Good luck!!

Thanks!

Yeah, I've always had the problem of giving up halfway-through, but I blame that on the fact that I never did quite know what I was doing and therefore did not see much results. I'm certain that will be different this time around ^^

Maybe, I'm not sure. I don't know if it'll help, but I just want to get in shape ^^

Thank you very much! :D I did the interval training today and I'm beat >.< Just finished cooking some Salmon for tomorrow's meal as well, so all is going according to plan so far :D