Forums are back in action! ×

Stand And Deliver

So, like everyone else in this subforum, I'm new-ish here.

NF has crossed my path a few times before now, but for the past seven or eight years I've been suffering from chronic pain that basically made anything more than light activity impossible. I thought that it was entirely genetic and that there was nothing I could do about it (thanks to family history) until I got a blood test earlier this year that told me my Vitamin D was... well, pretty low.

This isn't a huge surprise--I'm what you might generously call "indoorsy". I spend my days as an IT desk jockey, and in my leisure time there's nowhere I'd rather be than playing some DotA with my buddies or working on my next novel.

Since I started taking some supplemental Vitamin D, my energy levels are up, and perhaps best of all, I've found that I can actually do some strenuous exercise without feeling like I want to die! So, when I came across a NF link on Facebook this time, instead of feeling ashamed, I felt like maybe I could finally do something about it.

I've been overweight since age 6, and I'm 29 now... a couple times, my weight has approached 300 lbs. Through diet alone I've managed to stay between 240 and 250 for the last couple of years, and kinda figured that's where I would be forever. Even so, my grandfather died young (in his late 50s) from colon cancer and my other genetics aren't that great either--can't spend too much time outside because if I do I'll get skin cancer and die, etc. Steve's article about how some people get to live life on Legendary difficulty really spoke to me... I don't think my difficulty setting is jacked up quite to Death Incarnate, but it's definitely not on "Can I Play, Daddy?".

On 8/29, without really knowing what I was doing, I started what I guess is my own kind of six week challenge: setting goals, adding in some basic workouts, and just trying to raise my conditioning level from 'couch potato' to 'maybe not couch potato'.

I'm proud to say that I'm hitting most of my little baby step starting goals and genuinely starting to feel just a little stronger... moving with purpose instead of just moving, little tasks starting to get easier and without feeling like I might break under the strain. I just finished my third full week of goal tracking, better eating and exercise, and I feel like I'm in it for the long haul this time.

When I started, I promised myself that if I made it a whole month bringing at least 4 lunches a week from home, cutting out some of the sneaky sugar sources, and doing at least three strength workouts a week, I would join the Academy with the money I saved. In the meantime, I've also rediscovered how to ride a bike, fixed some bad form in my exercise routine, switched back to intermittent fasting four days of the week (I did it before to good results, but eventually fell off b/c of lack of discipline) and have eliminated almost all liquid calories from my diet.

My long-term goal is to get into good enough conditioning that I can either start or join a HEMA group (Historical European Martial Arts, for those who don't know) and learn the longsword styles I've always dreamed of. Right now it's still tough to get past the initial "I could never do something like that" response and realize that maybe, just maybe, now I can.

Sorry for the wall of text--here's the TL; DR:

I want to be around for a long time, I want to be stronger, I want to live my dreams--to HELL with family history!

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

So, when I came across a NF link on Facebook this time, instead of feeling ashamed, I felt like maybe I could finally do something about it.

On 8/29, without really knowing what I was doing, I started what I guess is my own kind of six week challenge: setting goals, adding in some basic workouts, and just trying to raise my conditioning level from 'couch potato' to 'maybe not couch potato'.

I'm proud to say that I'm hitting most of my little baby step starting goals and genuinely starting to feel just a little stronger... moving with purpose instead of just moving, little tasks starting to get easier and without feeling like I might break under the strain. I just finished my third full week of goal tracking, better eating and exercise, and I feel like I'm in it for the long haul this time.

My long-term goal is to get into good enough conditioning that I can either start or join a HEMA group (Historical European Martial Arts, for those who don't know) and learn the longsword styles I've always dreamed of. Right now it's still tough to get past the initial "I could never do something like that" response and realize that maybe, just maybe, now I can.

I want to be around for a long time, I want to be stronger, I want to live my dreams--to HELL with family history!

I found so much in your wall of words that resonates with me, it was amazing.

8/29 -- an anniversary date!! It will be here again soon and you will feel such an sense of accomplishment. The long haul looks to have already started strong. I think sometimes, we have to try several times and fail, before we can decide that this, this healthy, happy me, is worth fighting for. I'm glad I see such honesty about shame and pride. You have come sa far, I am hoping you can really see that.

My vit D was pretty damn low too and I found out my thyroid wasn't working right. With those two things being managed, I find energy easier to use than to shy away from for fear of failing or getting hurt. What types of basic exercises are you using right now? Also, I'm a big fan of mobility, if you haven't tried it maybe it would help. Dunno. A thought.

The HEMA group sounds fantastic. And writing a novel? Awesome. I'm trying to get around to finishing a full length play I wrote. It's almost done, but I'm stalling and don't exactly know why.

You can start a battle log here if you like. That way you can get feedback and have some accountability for yourself. So, enjoy your victories and keep up the great work. PM me any time, and let me know if you started a battle log that I can follow.

Welcome and see you again soon,, I hope.

Teri

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hi Teri,

Thanks for the welcome, I really appreciate it! =)

Right now I'm using Steve's Beginner Bodyweight Workout for some basic strength conditioning, and I'm working specifically on my grip and wrist/arm strength because I want to do sword work. I could definitely use some mobility, though--I'll check out the link ^.^

I always find the middle the hardest part of writing, but the end isn't easy either, especially on early projects. For me, I was always a bit hesitant for two reasons on the end: 1) Am I going to get this ending right? and 2) When it's over, that means I have to do something with it! I still struggle with the first sometimes, but I've self-published eight books to date, and so I've mostly overcome the second.

I went ahead and jumped in to the current 6-week challenge as a Level 1 Rebel for some accountability for myself. Should I do a battle log as well, or are they about the same?

Thank you again--I'm so glad to find some like-minded people. I always enjoy multiplayer games way more than doing stuff alone!

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Great!!!

A battlelog is more of a journal for your whole time at NF, and before. The challenge thread is your more active one, because that;'s where most folks go to check out how you're doing. So when you post about your day, you can do that in the challenge thread and if there's something about that day that really resonates with you or you don't want to forget, slap it in the battlelog.

8 books! Fantastic!!

Okay, jump in the challenge and have at it!! I'll find ya over there!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On