Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

I counter your 8 black orks and 5 immortals with

10 marauder horseman

3 chaos trolls

1 chaos Chariot

1 chaos spawn

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Trolls are 35 reps a piece according to the spreadsheet

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Question, for when there's a break in the arms race... :)

I'm in the western US, and have my Wednesday workout planned for 10 pm, after I get home from work. Will that make the Wednesday deadline?

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

And, has anyone heard anything from JoeBlend? Is my foe racking up armies, too?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I don't have weights at home, so right after I read that post, I grabbed my 15kg ironing board and gorilla pressed it over my head 140 times in order to recruit 10 Devastators, so

zpZL6bN.gif

thats-cute-d.jpg

While cooking my dinner on the grill, I scroll to this page on my phone. Seeing your post I knew I had to do something. So I promptly finished cooking my chicken and set it aside.

Then I went outside and grabbed my olympic barbell and did the following (thats 20kg btw ;) )

40 Clean and Presses

20 Bent Over rows

40 Overhead presses

So I guess 3 chaos ogres will be joining me for the coming battle.

Your move.

Okay well I'm going to get pummelled - because I'm just sticking with my set out routine to earn troops. 

So here is my army ready for battle:

20 Chaos Marauders (2 squads of 10)

10 Chaos Warriors

5 Marauder Horsemen

3 Chaos Trolls

3 Chaos Ogres

1 Chaos Spawn

Now I don't really understand what to do from here. My general is a skulltaker - so I can join one of the squads right? Am I supposed to now PM D_R with my moves?? Hellllppp!

So for a comparison standpoint I will post what I did yesterday and what troops I got.

234 upper body exercises. 

Broken down I did 144 during my YAYOG workout, then I did 60 seated dips in between breaks from artwork. While I was doing jump rope I did 5 minutes of that seperated with 6 push ups with my feet elevated.

I recruited 10 marauders and 5 forsaken with this.

I did six minutes total of jump rope throughout the day. So I have 6 Hellstriders of Slaanesh

I did 240 core exercises. I did this by adding them to my YAYOG workout. I would do 20 exercises after each set (there where 12 sets).

With this I got 40 chaos warhounds.

So my current composition of my army is 10 marauders, 5 forsaken, 6 Hellstriders, and 40 warhounds.

I post this because I really want this to fun and fair. So if I am getting really far ahead of everyone I will adjust my difficulty, or something.

On the spreadsheet it says 19 minutes of jump rope for a Hellstrider of Slaanesh - or am I missing something.

Level 1 :: Lycan (STR-2 :: DEX-2 :: STA-2 :: CON-2 :: WIS-1 :: CHA-1)

Challenges:  One

Daily logs: Battle log / MFP

For Wednesday, do we have to obey the minimum squad sizes and % core vs. % special APV?  

I have:

• 26 buccaneers
  • 19 grog lubbers
  • 23 harpooners
  • 30 pirates
  • and one flying galley 
  • Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

The unit casualties w/ attack and defense and all suit me just fine for my cheap units, but it seems to overpower even small squads of weak troops vs big monsters like a big varghulf or ice giant (since they are 1 unit and don't seem to be able to take multiple wounds or anything).

BTW armies and orders posting Wed in this thread, or were we PM'ing them, or??

I got off my lazy butt and did a couple hundred exercises today, so I'ld have something to fight with. If we're fighting so soon, I'm super glad that I did individiual exercises instead of so ending 1.5 hrs on a yoga session for a pair of spirit walkers or whatever.

BTW, totally jelly of folks with ranged attacks.

• Like 1

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

On the spreadsheet it says 19 minutes of jump rope for a Hellstrider of Slaanesh - or am I missing something.

It used to be only 19 reps, I don't know when that changed.

Hmm don't know - but 19 reps does seem a bit too easy.

That is why I adjusted it to 1 minute of continious jump roping. So it required alot of effort since I suck at jump rope lol. I think nearly 20 minutes of exercise for a troop that requires 5 in a min squad is a lot...

For Wednesday, do we have to obey the minimum squad sizes and % core vs. % special APV?  

I have:

• 26 buccaneers
  • 19 grog lubbers
  • 23 harpooners
  • 30 pirates
  • and one flying galley 

At first I thought you had to have a drink for each grog lubber. I was a wee bit worried.  I know you're a pirate and all but...

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I will have to look into the mock battles to see their prowess to see if they will be worth it.

I'm feeling a bit intimidated.  I've just moved apartments and am still cleaning out the old place for Wednesday (the 1st).  Between that and 12 hours a day at work I don't have the time or energy to do a huge long workout every day, also most of my exercises are upper body, which are supposed to have a rest day in between working out specific muscles. I'm feeling a bit lost, any advice?

My current troops:

2 warriors

2 crossbowmen

1 irondrake

yikes!

• Like 1

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

My 2 workouts would normally only net me 20 marauders and 8 norse hunters, but seeing how many points other people are getting and what other people are doing, and minorly joining in on the silliness would give me:

30 marauders (3 squads of 10)

14 norse hunters (2 squads of 7)

(I think it's kind of silly though)

Typed with some words possibly being replaced with "words I must have meant" without my knowledge.

• Like 2

Before today's Q&A session, I'd like to mention that since the thread is growing pretty large pretty fast, I intend to change it from [Ongoing] into Challenge Specific. That would leave the thread here at the end of the challenge, allowing me to start a new one next challenge and carry remaining troops there.

Question, for when there's a break in the arms race... :)

I'm in the western US, and have my Wednesday workout planned for 10 pm, after I get home from work. Will that make the Wednesday deadline?

Yes. I'll sort out battles on Thursday anyway. Roughly estimating that I'm 8-10 hours ahead of that, your 10pm would be my 6-8am, so you're still in time.

And, has anyone heard anything from JoeBlend? Is my foe racking up armies, too?

I messaged him yesterday, life has kept him a bit behind but he'll drop by to pick an ability and post his troops before the deadline

Then I went outside and grabbed my olympic barbell and did the following (thats 20kg btw ;) )

Your move.

I get by with whatever I have available around. I should thank you though, it was my rest day and if you hadn't dragged me into that arms race, I'd probably still have just my Hobgoblins and Sneaky Gitz. Oh, did I mention I did some extra recruiting I'm keeping secret? B)

Now I don't really understand what to do from here. My general is a skulltaker - so I can join one of the squads right? Am I supposed to now PM D_R with my moves?? Hellllppp!

You general may join either the Marauders or Warriors. Now you should PM me with each squad's starting position (No ranged units=I'm guessing no back row) and orders. Roughly 1) who will try to fight what enemy squad 2) if the enemy flees, will they pursue or attack another enemy 3) if they prevail, who will be their next target.

As for Hellstriders, I fixed it according to what I previously said, whatever's most challenging to everyone. So cn3wton as a newbie would have to pull off 19 single-under jumps to recruit a unit, while I'd have to go for 19 minutes or 19 double-unders. It may look simple, but it will be so only during reinforcing a unit. In order to recruit a full squad, you have to look at minimum size too. Thus, to recruit a new squad of Hellstriders, cn3wton has to do 95 Jumps

Since it's the first try and we haven't all been recruiting at the same rate, minimum squad sizes don't apply for this first round. Core/Special/Rare APV percentages apply normally

The unit casualties w/ attack and defense and all suit me just fine for my cheap units, but it seems to overpower even small squads of weak troops vs big monsters like a big varghulf or ice giant (since they are 1 unit and don't seem to be able to take multiple wounds or anything).

BTW armies and orders posting Wed in this thread, or were we PM'ing them, or??

BTW, totally jelly of folks with ranged attacks.

Big units have their multiple wounds calculated into their defense bonus. Agreed, they can be taken down by a large squad of many cheap troops, but they will deal massive damage and are also protected by abilities such as Fear, Terror etc

Like I said to lishvicious, post the forces you'll be deploying and PM me with their orders like I wrote above

And ranged is an issue, but surviving squads will have the chance to be upgraded, including the option to wield javelins or throwing axes.

At first I thought you had to have a drink for each grog lubber. I was a wee bit worried.  I know you're a pirate and all but...

Grog lubbers need a drink before conversion. Kislev's Kvassniks, on the other hand, need a shot before doing the reps for recruiting each unit of them

I'm feeling a bit intimidated.  I've just moved apartments and am still cleaning out the old place for Wednesday (the 1st).  Between that and 12 hours a day at work I don't have the time or energy to do a huge long workout every day, also most of my exercises are upper body, which are supposed to have a rest day in between working out specific muscles. I'm feeling a bit lost, any advice?

My current troops:

2 warriors

2 crossbowmen

1 irondrake

yikes!

Don't worry, life, injury and such drawbacks are all part of the game. Since you're involved in a 3-way battle, you could retreat and let the Chaos people fight it out (Dwarfs retreating? That's going in the Book of Grudges, laddie!)

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Well, I'm doing a little better than I thought as I got all inspired by the arms race and essentially did a double workout tonight. I'd also front-loaded the week a bit by taking Saturday off so I could do a bigger workout than usual on Sunday. I'm staying back in the trees for now, where no one is going to see what I've got to field. :)

I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning, being an older than average Amazon. I'm hoping the Tai Chi and yoga will let me recover from the strength and heavy bag work enough to get another round in tomorrow morning and finish off with just yoga tomorrow night. I felt like I was doing CrossFit again, but at least Pukey the clown didn't decide to threaten to visit!

I left a post on JoeBlend's thread. Want this to be as much of a battle as we can manage. I do need to do some reading about how to deploy troops, I guess, never having played something like this. I'm a little unclear on how we give orders for attack or chase, when we don't really know what type of units we are going up against.

Do you have any sort of general advice or guidelines to help out us n00bs?

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I left a post on JoeBlend's thread. Want this to be as much of a battle as we can manage. I do need to do some reading about how to deploy troops, I guess, never having played something like this. I'm a little unclear on how we give orders for attack or chase, when we don't really know what type of units we are going up against.

Do you have any sort of general advice or guidelines to help out us n00bs?

Everybody has to post their armies before the deadline, otherwise they are considered having skipped the battle. You may keep your opponent guessing until the last minute, but ultimately you have to show your troops on the battlefield.

Example of deployment and orders for one squad:

One squad of Amazon Warriors, X units strong, deployed on the front row. They will march to meet Y unit (i.e. one of Xena's squads in the front row). If their target flees, they shall pursue/attack Z unit/move to the back row to attack the archers/attack whatever squad is giving the amazon units most trouble. If their target is destroyed, they will attack Z unit/move to the back row to attack the archers/attack whatever squad is giving the amazon units most trouble

That's pretty much it. Once you and your enemy have posted the squads and where each is deployed, PM me with the orders for each squad.

Hints & Tips

- Ranged combat is safer, but only gives you a d6 to add to your bonus. Melee has a d6 multiplied by your bonus, but also has the enemy counterattacking you. Choose wisely

- Large squads can suck up more casualties, but if they fail their Morale check, you end up with several units vulnerable and out of combat. Smaller squads are more fragile, but allow for more flexibility. Plan accordingly

- If you plan to chase your enemy in case he retreats, make sure you match up the squads properly. Don't expect footmen to catch up to cavalry

- Make sure you read the abilities of both your and your enemy's units

- Try not to leave your flanks exposed. Losing the fight there and getting flanked is one thing, but leaving them exposed for the enemy to smite you is truly unwise

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I hope I did this right, PM sent!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I hope I did this right, PM sent!

Reply sent, just mentioning in public a little change that might be of use to other players as well; Planks now give ground/abs points per second, not minute held, in order to keep them balanced compared to crunches or situps. That way, a 1 minute plank would earn someone 60 ground/abs points instead of just one. Abs are used for weaklings like Goblins, ground exercises for warbeasts, so i.e. since a single Goblin costs 2-3 points, a 1-minute plank would recruit 20-30 Goblins, roughly close to their minimum squad size.

Also, certain units that specifically required planks (Chaos Ogre, Dwarf Sea Dog, Ulfwerenar) have been altered from minutes into seconds to bring them into the game

Chaos Ogre (Min squad size 3)

Previously: At 60 minutes, you needed 3 hours of planking for a squad that might be killed in one round

Now: 3 minutes of planking earns you a squad at minimum size

You get the idea. Considering that even big units can die with ease, there was no need to kill yourself for days instead of investing in several squishier units. Now you can recruit them as easily as they can be lost, so they become a viable option.

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker