Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

@Crusunik: Check this online book on Norscans, it's got pretty much all the background story you'll need. As for magic, Warhammer is a pretty low magic world, especially when it comes to items. Magic in Warhammer is powerful and dangerous, used only by few powerful individuals like High Priests and Wizards, while magic items are rare artifacts with just minor powers, so as far as your character goes, he'd probably be a mundane guy with mundane weapons; Norse favour the axe (held or throwing), hammer and javelin. Also, Beserker is a pretty much frontline melee ability, the only ranged unit eligible for joining such a leader is the Whalers. I would suggest either writing him up as going full melee or pick another ability. Either way, leaders are just about buffing units and casting spells, I'm not involving them in actual combat because they'd probably end up dead after a few battles.

@ShadowLion: Fight is next Sunday, Oct. 5th. Tracking starts from this Monday, recruit your troops and let's go for it. Oh, and players just do the recruiting, deploying and roleplay, I'm trying to keep it simple and fun for you peeps :) Leave all the dice work to me

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

This is going to be fun!!

@Crusunik, this is what I'd though Rising Heroes was going to be.  It was the NF's attempt at making a more game-like, motivating environment, but they canceled the development about a year ago.  I'm used to D&D too - so we'll adjust together!!

• Like 3

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

@Crusunik: Check this online book on Norscans, it's got pretty much all the background story you'll need. As for magic, Warhammer is a pretty low magic world, especially when it comes to items. Magic in Warhammer is powerful and dangerous, used only by few powerful individuals like High Priests and Wizards, while magic items are rare artifacts with just minor powers, so as far as your character goes, he'd probably be a mundane guy with mundane weapons; Norse favour the axe (held or throwing), hammer and javelin. Also, Beserker is a pretty much frontline melee ability, the only ranged unit eligible for joining such a leader is the Whalers. I would suggest either writing him up as going full melee or pick another ability. Either way, leaders are just about buffing units and casting spells, I'm not involving them in actual combat because they'd probably end up dead after a few battles.

@ShadowLion: Fight is next Sunday, Oct. 5th. Tracking starts from this Monday, recruit your troops and let's go for it. Oh, and players just do the recruiting, deploying and roleplay, I'm trying to keep it simple and fun for you peeps :) Leave all the dice work to me

Cool!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I agree with the heroes only adding bonuses to their units so they themselves dont die, I'm still going to write it like he was in the thick of it though.

Are you going to message us the results so we can write it up ourselves? 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I agree with the heroes only adding bonuses to their units so they themselves dont die, I'm still going to write it like he was in the thick of it though.

Are you going to message us the results so we can write it up ourselves? 

Of course you should write it as such :)

I'm not sure, depends on how you want to go about it. I can make a narrative description of the battle and post the technical part as well, but that leaves little room for your roleplay and it can only be done between battles. Letting you write the battles instead takes work off my shoulders, but may cause some inconsistencies (each side views things a bit different). I'm open to suggestions

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Let the winner write his part, then the next person writes theres (in the case of 3 people the person who lost the worst goes last).

That adds even a little more incentive to win.

I would definitely prefer to write the story, and that takes some off of your already full shoulders.

Those who don't want to write it can defer it to someone else. 

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Sounds good to me, as long as nobody objects to the idea.

Dwarfs are up, currently working on Chaos Dwarfs. Speaking of incentive to win, you may notice that some units look exactly the same or some more expensive units have inferior stats. This is because I'm not including the upgrade options yet. For simplicity's sake, they will be discussed only with the player eligible for upgrade and only when it's time to upgrade a squad. Just trust me for now, more advanced units have a reason to be expensive and special/rare, even if it's not apparent yet.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must return to my Forge and whip those worthless goblins into pumping out more unit stats for the spreadsheet

Chiomegarho3AF0sigmaftau3AF0taulambdaomi

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

give me my chaos stats or give me death!

I understand it takes a while to make the sheets though so dont feel like I am pushing you.

As long as they are done by sunday so I can figure out what troops to get!

• Like 1

Malarielle stood at the shoulder of her most seasoned captain as her flagship glided toward the mist-shrouded island. She could feel the oppressive gloom pulling at her like a clammy web. An image grew in her mind – she was surrounded by enemies, blade drawn and dancing through the air. She slayed them one after the other. As the blood flowed, Nimang grew ever brighter and the clammy threads were burned and lifted. The air was pure again. But her heart grew dark and she was lost.

“It’s the wrong way,†she murmured, surprised at the revelation.

The captain glanced back, taking her measure. “The humans must be stopped. This is our destiny.â€

She stiffened briefly. He wasn’t questioning or dissenting, only giving her room to think, “I’m not to lead with the sword this time. It’s a trap for my soul.â€

Silence. “…but you are our strongest warrior…the sword…â€

She stroked the white feathers that lined her cloak, gathering confidence “Have no doubt. There will be a time for the sword, but I’ve been called to be more than that. I’m sure of it now. This mission won’t be simple, and I’ll need perspective to command all our units. I’ll stay with the ship.†As she said it she felt the unnatural rightness of the words. This was surely a revelation.

The captain breathed out slowly “Asuryan is with us today.†He felt it too.

“Today and always. WE SHALL NOT FALL.â€

TLDR: Sea captain this time.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

give me my chaos stats or give me death!

I understand it takes a while to make the sheets though so dont feel like I am pushing you.

As long as they are done by sunday so I can figure out what troops to get!

Chaos Dwarfs are done and so is my dinner. Next are Greenskins, then Chaos. Don't worry, it'll all be done in time.

TLDR: Sea captain this time.

Choosing an ability for your general is permanent. I really liked the RP post :)

Lvl 65 Multitasker

@Crusunik, this is what I'd though Rising Heroes was going to be.  It was the NF's attempt at making a more game-like, motivating environment, but they canceled the development about a year ago.  I'm used to D&D too - so we'll adjust together!!

This is, unintentionally, a huge compliment

That is along the lines of what I was trying to say as well. When I first found NF a few months ago and saw stuff about the characters and stuff, I had something like this in mind for what it would be. I just didn't know the details about Raising Heroes. I just didn't know exactly how it could work. This is really probably better than any way that I could have previously imagined it could work because I only had experience with D&D and other similar stuff to draw from.

Okay, that is different than I was expecting. I will have to rethink the character some. I'm thinking maybe Battle axe in one hand and the bladed shield mentioned in that book in the other and maybe a great axe on his back. The axes and shield probably have the closest feeling to those rings. Maybe a few throwing axes as well for situational use. I had gathered that leaders were mainly about buffing units, I was just thinking about the bonuses from the berserker ability being like he was actually fighting for character development and RP purposes like cn3wton was saying.

Currently, I've read that book to the point where I've just gotten to the "Norse History" section. What I saw in the previous section, "The Norse," they still mostly talk about them worshiping chaos, just not overtly, but they did mention Aesafolk vs Vanenes and that followers of chaos don't believe in Olric (or Ulric? There seem to be 2 spellings. Perhaps the O is a typo?) having the Einherjar join in the last Great War against chaos, so it sounds like Axel's god would be Ulric (who wikipedia says is kind of like a maix of Odin and Thor).

I will edit my original post with the changes.

This is, unintentionally, a huge compliment

Actually, it was an intentional compliment.  FWIW, I told Steven and Staci that they should invite you and Teros to give a workshop next Camp Nerd Fitness on using popular game mechanics in leveling up your life.  

I've fiddled around with some of this for myself, but I'm too social to just "play" against myself/environment.  Maybe I could do it PvE in a group game where we have NPC bosses that we choose to go up against either solo or in a group.   But I really like the uncertainty of playing against someone who will be working hard all week to beat me too.

dont-let-your-competition-train-harder-c

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

When I first found NF a few months ago and saw stuff about the characters and stuff, I had something like this in mind for what it would be

In that case, I'm glad you found what you were looking for. And to answer your question, many, but not all Norse, follow the gods of Chaos. As opposed to their neighboring Kurgan race (which form the mass of Chaos Warriors) who in their entirety worship the Ruinous Powers

Actually, it was an intentional compliment.  FWIW, I told Steven and Staci that they should invite you and Teros to give a workshop next Camp Nerd Fitness on using popular game mechanics in leveling up your life

The idea of flying over the atlantic to attend camp NF alone is beyond a dream, let alone to do something like this. One can only hope. Still, thank you for your initiative. If nothing else, it's important recognition for what I'm struggling to create here.

All right, all in on the abilities! 

Thanks for the compliment...it's my first time trying this :-)

I was thinking today "NF Warhammer: Do more burpees...because life is cheap"

Don't worry, it's everyone's first time trying this :D  So, you'll be sticking with Sea Captain?

Greenskin, Chaos and Pirate unit stats have been added to the spreadsheet. Only Amazon and Albion units left, then I can add the other races at my leisure

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

All units for races involved in this first round have been added to the spreadsheet, along with spells for those who made a spellcasting general. Still waiting for some players to pick their general's starting skill from the previously posted list. Other than that, we're good to go. Submissions are closed for this round, take Sunday to view your army's spreadsheet and from Monday start tracking your workouts in order to recruit units.

Let's get this party started!

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I remember playing that mmo, it was pretty fun.

On another note.

OH, ITS ON

• Like 1

Going to have to go with Lord for my general skill, the others may be interesting effect wise but they don't fit my character.

• Like 1

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

As I'm still a noob here does anyone have advice for how to plan a workout to fit with the dwarves?  They are almost all upper body workouts which is exactly what I want as my arms and core are my weakest links.  I was thinking of using the beginner body weight workout but it only has 10 dumbbell rows and 10 push-ups for the exercise, not sure if that is enough to make a decent dwarf army?  I'll be concentrating on cardio on my off days as I enjoy it and can use it as well.

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

I'm guessing that we should probably have our armies decided on before Sunday if we're battling on Sunday, so Sunday would really contribute to the next week, so should we really start tracking Sunday (today/tomorrow depending on time zone)? I ask because I normally lift on Sundays. I suppose I could just do Monday Wednesday Friday Sunday Tuesday Thursday this week and next week to fit the workout in, but that seems kinda silly. >.>;

Typed with some words possibly being replaced with "words I must have meant" without my knowledge.

• Like 3

I'm guessing that we should probably have our armies decided on before Sunday if we're battling on Sunday, so Sunday would really contribute to the next week, so should we really start tracking Sunday (today/tomorrow depending on time zone)? I ask because I normally lift on Sundays. I suppose I could just do Monday Wednesday Friday Sunday Tuesday Thursday this week and next week to fit the workout in, but that seems kinda silly. >.>;

Typed with some words possibly being replaced with "words I must have meant" without my knowledge.

I think that makes sense too - Sunday to Saturday to build up our armies - and then battle on Sunday. Repeat.

• Like 2

Level 1 :: Lycan (STR-2 :: DEX-2 :: STA-2 :: CON-2 :: WIS-1 :: CHA-1)

Challenges:  One

Daily logs: Battle log / MFP

Whats the APV cap for next sunday? 

There is none, as long as you stick with the required analogy of core/special/rare :D Just make sure you don't overwork yourself and risk injury

I'm guessing that we should probably have our armies decided on before Sunday if we're battling on Sunday, so Sunday would really contribute to the next week, so should we really start tracking Sunday (today/tomorrow depending on time zone)?

I think that makes sense too - Sunday to Saturday to build up our armies - and then battle on Sunday. Repeat.

We still need some time until army deployment is posted and orders are PM'd to me, but I understand not wanting to rule out an entire day. Track your Sunday workouts, but points gained may only be used for the following Sunday's battle and forward. Some more thoughts and notes

• I was thinking of adding stuff on the first page of the spreadsheet, but it's going to be a big mess. I trust you all to honestly track your points
  • Also, remember this PvP is about fun, rp and workouts. Try to do exercises that push you, instead of many reps of the easiest ones you can find in order to gather up a horde
  • Time limits are relative to everyone's time zone. So, post your army deployment and send me the orders by Saturday night on your part of the world. Since calculating the battles requires some work on my part, doing it sooner would be appreciated, although I understand wanting to recruit as many troops as possible up until the last minute.
  • Like 4

Lvl 65 Multitasker