Forums are back in action! ×

Creative people

I LOVE making things myself! Especially jewellery (wire-work with silver wire and gemstones). I do sometimes get a creative block, because my 'creativity' comes in waves and is negatively correlated with the amount of stress I have, somehow :P So, during unversity-intense periods I don't make a lot... but then, in the holidays, I make a LOT!

The best way for me to treat a creative block is to just do something very basic, something I did before.. and then change the design slightly or add some more things. Reading tutorials or looking at pictures of inspiring artwork may also help. On the side, I draw a lot of designs, only 5% of which get realized eventually :P

• Like 1

Level 1 Wood-elf
Aspiring druid and adventurer
Current challenge

Right now most of my time is taken up by work around my house, though I do want to get my camera out again.

Getting over a creative block, for me it's just a matter of relaxing, for me it's putting down the camera and stepping away for a little bit. I still look around with an eye for a pictures, but having no camera kind of allows me to build up a "mental portfolio" of things I can do when I pick up the camera again.

I've also found that helping my fiance with her scrapbooking and/or upcycling helps too. I'm learning something completely new, so there's all kinds of ideas running through my head.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

and is negatively correlated with the amount of stress I have

I find this to be especially true as well.  My typical "creative" activities include 3D modeling, working on my car, and doodling out designs for machines that may or may not actually work.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I write, mostly, so I get over creative blocks by attempting random prompts or ideas (or adapting ideas I've seen/heard of before), or going for a walk to calm down and clear my mind. Either that, or I put it aside first and come back to it about an hour later - I find that the creative blocks usually resolve themselves by then.

The famous middle-distance runner Herb Elliot once said: "Poetry, music , forests, oceans, solitude- they were what developed enormous spiritual strength. I came to realize that spirit, as much or more than physical conditioning, had to be stored up before a race".

I think that applies just as much to creativity as it does to running. You want to break through a wall? Immerse yourself in silence, solitude, nature and the works of the creative individuals you admire.

• Like 1

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

I mostly drawing during my free time on campus (hide downstairs in art/science building where lot of cool art pieces are). Sometimes during lectures.

Doing quit of bit of diy (like these bad ass Hercules comic flats), got me into collage work and mix media.

Also, got back into writing recently. I tried this exercise where you make poetry by cutting words (now think of it sounds like ranson note in the making).

I notice reading art books, going to museums (even if it's not medium you work in), and Ted Talks can help spark something.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Projects in the works:

Safety posters for work (close to thirty of them need to be done).

2-5 player card game, which I hope to publish and sell (it's taking waaaay to long to finish the first draft of this).

Lego costumes for the kids.

Some sort of large, three-way-opening box with shelves built in, painted like the sewers and laboratories and what-not for the kids' ninja turtles action figures.

Serenity tattoo design for the wife.

I will share pictures on my log as I actually get some of this done.  If I ever am capable of becoming self employed I plan to start a web comic, although I don't know anything about digital art or web design or any of that crap.  I'm going to be relying hevily on my besty to handle all the computing for me.

• Like 1

I'm into leather working. Nothing like hammering metal into leather to reduce stress.

Right now I'm taking an intermediate level leather carving class, where I'm learning the skills to make designs that have depth and dimension to them. I'm also working on making myself a messenger-style bag.

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

I have Creation sessions with friends.  some of my buddies draw, others write, and still others do crafts like jewelry or sculpting.  so a few of us will get together and just work on whatever together.  I write or draw while another plays with beads, etc.

• Like 2

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

I have Creation sessions with friends.  some of my buddies draw, others write, and still others do crafts like jewelry or sculpting.  so a few of us will get together and just work on whatever together.  I write or draw while another plays with beads, etc.

That's a badass idea...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

That's a badass idea...

steal it if you'd like.  we always enjoy it.

(and it's even better when it's all different forms of art, because then we're not comparing our pieces at the time against one anothers'.  we just create what we need, as we need.)

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

steal it if you'd like.  we always enjoy it.

(and it's even better when it's all different forms of art, because then we're not comparing our pieces at the time against one anothers'.  we just create what we need, as we need.)

Need to get some creative friends first...

*Goes to kidnap some creative people*

My first challenge

I write articles and concoct random food dishes remotely based on cookbook and internet recipes thrown together.

Previously, I tried my hand at book binding but found that I lacked the workshop space to work on them periodically. Insufficient living and storage space to leave half-bound materials lying around.

Inspiration comes from reading widely, synthesising ideas and imagining the results.

When I run into a block I just drop it and come back later I guess. 

"A professional knows the limits of his knowledge. An amateur does not know the limits of his knowledge. A dilettante does not know that there are any limits to his knowledge." 

I write articles and concoct random food dishes remotely based on cookbook and internet recipes thrown together.

Previously, I tried my hand at book binding but found that I lacked the workshop space to work on them periodically. Insufficient living and storage space to leave half-bound materials lying around.

Inspiration comes from reading widely, synthesising ideas and imagining the results.

When I run into a block I just drop it and come back later I guess. 

Sounds like my room with all the projects I attempted over the years. And I pretty decent size space, which makes it more scary.

I should probably get rid of some most of them.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram