Forums are back in action! ×

Sci fi/Fantasy book nerds, I need your help!

Hey, so I'm getting married in a little over a year (woo!) and I'm starting to think of things I want to include in my vows. 

The help I need is: do you have any sci fi/fantasy quotes or passages you absolutely LOVE that would be awesome to include in wedding vows? They don't actually have to explicitly be about love or marriage...I've thought of some but I'm at a loss. I've just read so many books I can't think!  :redface-new:

Fetchling Warrior, Level 2

str-9 dex-2 sta-3 con-4 wis-3 cha-3

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?â€

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

From the marriage of Goldmoon and Riverwind at the end of the Dragonlance book Dragons of Autumn Twilight:

Goldmoon spoke:

"Wars have settled on the north

and dragons ride the skies,

'Now is the time for wisdom,'

say the wise and the nearly wise.

'Here in the heart of battle,

the time to be brave is at hand.

Now most things are larger than

the promise of woman to man.'

"But you and I, through burning plains.

through darkness of the earth,

affirm this world, its people,

the heavens that gave them birth,

the breath that passes between us,

this altar where we stand,

and all those things made larger by

the promise of woman to man."

Riverwind spoke:

"Now in the belly of winter,

when ground and sky are grey,

here in the heart of sleeping snow,

now is the time to say

yes to the sprouting vallenwood

in the green country side,

for these things are far larger than

a man's word to his bride.

"Through these promise that we keep,

forged in the yawning night,

proved in the presence of heroes

and the prospect of spring light,

the children will see moons and stars

where now the dragons ride,

and humble things made large by

a man's word to his bride."

Edited to add: Got the series right but the book wrong; corrected.
  • Like 4

Astreja K. Odinsdóttir, socially-distanced Valkyrie
Race:  Humanoid (
Ásynja)
[ Level 9 | STR 14 | STA 18 | DEX 16 | CON 18 | WIS 19 | CHA 15 ]

Sorry, I thought of a few then realized they were from TV. I'll look for some book ones later.

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

There are two quotes from the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher that I like that might apply.

“There’s power in the touch of another person’s hand. We acknowledge it in little ways, all the time. There’s a reason human beings shake hands, hold hands, slap hands, bump hands. It comes from our very earliest memories, when we all come into the world blinded by light and color, deafened by riotous sound, flailing in a suddenly cavernous space without any way of orienting ourselves, shuddering with cold, emptied with hunger, and justifiably frightened and confused. And what changes that first horror, that original state of terror? The touch of another person’s hands. Hands that wrap us in warmth, that hold us close. Hands that guide us to shelter, to comfort, to food. Hands that hold and touch and reassure us through our very first crisis, and guide us into our very first shelter from pain. The first thing we ever learn is that the touch of someone else’s hand can ease pain and make things better. That’s power. That’s power so fundamental that most people never even realize it exists.â€

"Life is too short. And there's nowhere near enough joy in it. If you find it, grab it. Before its gone."

• Like 3

Ogre Warrior
LEVEL : 2
STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 3
"CARPE DIEM"

Kahlan guide me. Kahlan teach me. Kahlan protect me. In your light I thrive. In your mercy I am sheltered. In your wisdom I am humbled. I live only to love you. My life is yours." — Richard

• Wizard's First Rule, Chapter 48, page 553

"Both of you are Mud People, and are bound not only by your words before your people, but by your own hearts. These are simple words, but in simple things, there is great power. ' He met Richard's eyes.

"Richard, will you have this woman as your wife, and will you love and honor her in all ways for all time?"

"I will," he said in a clear voice that rang out over the gathering. The Bird Man looked into Kahlan's eyes, and she had the most profound sense that he was speaking not only as a representative of his people, but for the spirits, too. She could almost hear their voices echoing in his.

"Kahlan, will you have this man as your husband, and will you love and honor him in all ways for all time?" "I will," she said, a clear chime matching Richard's.

Temple of the Winds - Chapter 70- whatever the last page is.

There are two quotes from the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher that I like that might apply.

“There’s power in the touch of another person’s hand. We acknowledge it in little ways, all the time. There’s a reason human beings shake hands, hold hands, slap hands, bump hands. It comes from our very earliest memories, when we all come into the world blinded by light and color, deafened by riotous sound, flailing in a suddenly cavernous space without any way of orienting ourselves, shuddering with cold, emptied with hunger, and justifiably frightened and confused. And what changes that first horror, that original state of terror? The touch of another person’s hands. Hands that wrap us in warmth, that hold us close. Hands that guide us to shelter, to comfort, to food. Hands that hold and touch and reassure us through our very first crisis, and guide us into our very first shelter from pain. The first thing we ever learn is that the touch of someone else’s hand can ease pain and make things better. That’s power. That’s power so fundamental that most people never even realize it exists.â€

"Life is too short. And there's nowhere near enough joy in it. If you find it, grab it. Before its gone."

Hells yeah, up top for a Dresden fan! o/ (that means give me a high-five)

Also from the Dresden books, a line that I think is excellent for anyone's perspective:

"You are a soul. You have a body."

I dunno why, but I think if you do it right, you could really turn that into something good and romantic~

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

Congratulations on your engagement!

I have a few quotes from Frank Herbert's Dune series that might work nicely:

1. "We have eternity, beloved."

"You may have eternity. I have only now."

"But this is eternity."

(via Dune Messiah)

2. "It was mostly sweet," he whispered, "and you were the sweetest of all."

(via Dune Messiah)

3. "I tell you we are a marvel and my memories leave no doubt of this."

(via God Emperor of Dune)

4. "We had something few experience. We were joined in our strengths rather than in our weaknesses."

(via God Emperor of Dune)

Ballad

Level | Water Nymph | Druid

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Epic Quest

Past Challenges: I

"The first and best victory is to conquer self."