Forums are back in action! ×

Beginning the Quest - late but enthusiasticly

Hi Everyone!

Yes, it is two weeks into the forum and after lurking, thinking, and procrastinating, HERE I AM! Who ever would have thought that an active child, on the cross country team in high school, active in college and the army, that here I am, just shy of 50, a large, unhealthy, couch potato. My quest begins today. My goal is to be fit by 50. That gives me a little time. I plan to start small, using the Body Weight Workout and walking. Frankly, my 6 week goal is to be able to do 3 sets of the workout. I can't complete one at this time. Also, I started cooking Paleo this week. So far my family is loving the recipes but haven't gotten rid of everything else. My husband is into the toast for breakfast and potatoes for dinner. Can only change gradually or I will have a rebellion of my own on my hands!

Could really use all the support I can get. 

PS. Do any of you know Polgara from the Belgariad? That is one confident woman, comfortable with herself, active and ready to take on the world. That's my ideal.

• Like 2

Welcome!!  I'm 54 and am also kinda surprised to see what's become of the active person I used to be - but we WILL get back into shape.  We know who we really are, and we can do it!!

Definitely, make SMALL changes that you can stick with for the rest of your life.  The bodyweight workout is an excellent workout for everyone, and you can keep making it harder as you get good at it.  And walking is the best thing you can do - easy on the joints and something that can really be fun and fits into everyone's life.  You don't even need special clothing for it!!

You might never convert your husband from toast and potatoes.  Mine still eats his bread and sweets eventhough he's borderline diabetic.  I just don't eat those things myself anymore.  It's tough, but you don't have to eat the same things as the people around you eat.  Serve potatoes, pasta, and bread on the side for them.  

If you have any questions or need to chat - just send me a message or stop by my thread.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Pol's amazing!  Great books!

I was never a fit and sassy type, always loved to sit around.  I was one of those effortlessly skinny types.  I could eat like crazy, and never gain an ounce.  Then I had kids, and woah, did I blimp out!  Now I can't even look at food without gaining!  Haha!

I wish ya the best, it's a tough road, but I know you got this!  :-)  Good luck with the bitty rebellion at home, that's one I'm dealing with myself!

• Like 1

A year from now, you may wish you had started today.

Okay.  So, I'd wondered whether there would be other women my same... ahem... shall we say calendar-linear-age....

Lots of similarities and that's really encouraging.  Hubby who IS diabetic but still in denial.  That's okay, I take him as he is.  But since I do the cooking around here:  he's gonna have to eat what I cook or have cereal.  No two ways about it.
I have about a year's worth of low carb but food sensitivities are sending me paleo (at a minimum until we find whatever else I'm sensitive to besides dairy and gluten).

I do exercise -- play disc golf 3-4 times a week, cardio boxing, and just peeking the door into toning with dumbbell weights.  I started at 2 pounds a couple months ago, I'm at 5 now and wondering if it's not enough.  

And lastly:  Belgarath says hi.   

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."