Forums are back in action! ×

Getting back on track

So I fell off the wagon for a few months: not really exercising, eating like crap, and not training at all with my aikido. 

Granted, I've had a lot going on: significant changes for me at work, buying a house, and now a baby due in a week or so.

But I have found that this has been an all-too-often cycle that I've been going through. I always seem to find some reason to not eat right, not exercise, or to not train. Training is by far one of the most important things I can to, as my job puts me in a position where fighting/subduing someone, when necessary, is a requirement. 

So I finally got back to the gym today, and though it was tough, it felt great. I feel more focused and energized when I work out. I don't know what mental block exists that keeps me from going, but heres to hoping I get over it soon.

Anyone else every find themselves in this kind of cycle? What have you done to break it?

• Like 1

"The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood. It is not a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek to compete and [best] one another are making a terrible mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst thing a human being can do. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent such slaughter — it is the Art of Peace, the power of love." -- O Sensei

Keep a picture of your wife and child taped up where you will see it frequently, but she won't.

Tape a note below that photo: "while you're being lazy, today might be the last time you see your family because you were slow and some damn fool got lucky."

I agree with the meaning of TMedina's concept: find your motivation and find a way to keep reminding yourself of that reason for doing what you do.

A picture of why you're practicing is one way to do it but I'm sure you can find other ways if that way isn't right for you.

Also, think about the feeling you got after you worked out. Don't you want to keep feeling that? If so, you have to continue to repeat the actions that make you feel that way.

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3