Forums are back in action! ×

large, rebuilt, older nerd looking for a home...

Hello Rebels!

Well, to explain the title!  I am 48, 6'5", 318lb self-proclaimed nerd!  

I started developing a self-image as everybody's big brother early on.  Was average size in third grade, then grew 13 inches from third to fourth grade.  Stood out, and didn't like it too much.  I had ADHD, and was on Ritalin for years.  Stood out in too many ways for me to handle well.  Food was my comfort zone - and it wasn't a problem for a while.  I had a great metabolism until I was in my 30's, then got married and moved to a desk job for the first time.  Went from 235 (volleyball playing weight) to 340 over several years.  I also had spinal fusion, two heel and calf surgeries, bilateral hernia surgery and neck fusion.  The fun of being a big guy who hadn't learned his limits...   I had given up on getting back into shape, and then I heard myself say "You don't get to be my size or shape turning down food."  Crap!  It was like a lightning bolt struck.  I can't stay this way any more.  I used to play sports and spend a lot of time outdoors.  I miss that!  I'm totally rebuilt, and finally allowed to do what I want to get back in shape.  No restrictions, and my spine surgeon told me now is the time.  I agree - tired of being tired and lumpy.  So, I looked for a way to stay focused and work my way back to where I want to be.  Tried a few things on my own...  didn't succeed. 

Then, a lightning bolt of sorts - I need support and accountability, so I searched and searched.  Finally - I found NerdFitness!  I believe this may be my missing ingredient.  I am at 318 pounds right now (slow progress so far).  I love what I have seen on this site, and I look forward to becoming a part of the family - if you can handle a stone giant being a part of the mix!

Well - here goes!  Time to start my new adventure!

• Like 1

"The only difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra"

"Always give 100% in everything you do...  unless you're donating blood"

Weight Below 240 Pounds

15.1%
15.1%

I never had any interest in working out up until a few months ago.  There's a few things that really helped me - I found what form of exercise I really enjoy, and I stopped making this imaginary barrier between me and "fit people."  Finding something that doesn't feel like a chore (like Steve has said in his blog - if you absolutely hate getting on the treadmill, don't get on the treadmill) has really helped me keep with a routine.  As far as the mental barrier, as soon as I stopped dividing between "me" and "them" I realized that it was much easier to say to myself that "I work out," without automatically thinking of myself as any less of a nerd just because I enjoyed exercising.

Kheris

Level 0 Wood Elf Monk:

STR-0 DEX-0 STA-0 CON-0 WIS-0 CHA-0

Neutral Good

“A path is made by walking on it.â€
― Zhuangzhi

I never had any interest in working out up until a few months ago.  There's a few things that really helped me - I found what form of exercise I really enjoy, and I stopped making this imaginary barrier between me and "fit people."  Finding something that doesn't feel like a chore (like Steve has said in his blog - if you absolutely hate getting on the treadmill, don't get on the treadmill) has really helped me keep with a routine.  As far as the mental barrier, as soon as I stopped dividing between "me" and "them" I realized that it was much easier to say to myself that "I work out," without automatically thinking of myself as any less of a nerd just because I enjoyed exercising.

First, thanks for your response!

I like this attitude.   I have definitely fallen prey to thinking of us versus them.  I am looking for a few things to do as my go to exercises (planning to try the beginner's bodyweight workout this afternoon).  I want to try different things and see which fits best for me.  What do you think is the best way to begin?  What are your favorite exercises to start pushing yourself?

Weight Below 240 Pounds

15.1%
15.1%

For me, I have always been afraid of going to the gym.  Every time I've tried to start up a workout routine in the past by going to the gym with friends, I found it too easy to duck out because there was that extra mental barrier there.  Now, there's definitely benefits to going to the gym - if you go, you're there to workout.  There's no distractions and if you do end up going when you dislike it, you'll do your best to get all your sets in and out as quickly as possible.  Mentally, it's already a workout space.  It's also a potential place to find workout partners and get motivation, if that's what keeps you pumped.

As far as bodyweight workout routines - I love them because it's what got me into working out.  Motivation's easier for me to keep up because even when I don't want to go outside, I know I can just sit down and pump out a (relatively quick, when you factor in you don't have to travel to the gym and back) workout.  And, it's much easier to watch your favorite show or movie so you don't get bored while working out (just don't get distracted, haha).  The one factor that may be an issue is pullups - sometimes the doorframe pullup bars aren't the sturdiest, so the assisted pullup machines at the gym may still be better for that.  You can always start out with the beginner bodyweight workout and if you feel like tracking the numbers for your lifts would be more motivational to you than pushing towards one more rep on bodyweight workouts, you can always try and find a local gym to get started in.  Depending on where you live, gyms run by the city can be pretty cheap and accessable in my experience.

Whatever the case, I've found the most important thing to me was to keep the workout fun!  Try and keep it varied, and once you've gotten a handle on whatever workout routine you decide to settle on at first, try and throw in some other exercises as you go along, maybe variations of what you've already been doing.

Kheris

Level 0 Wood Elf Monk:

STR-0 DEX-0 STA-0 CON-0 WIS-0 CHA-0

Neutral Good

“A path is made by walking on it.â€
― Zhuangzhi

Hey! Welcome on board. I think you'll find lots of like minded people on here and plenty of support and advice.

I'd like to echo what Severininfurs said about doing something that you enjoy rather than pushing yourself to do something that you hate, just because you think it's "good for you". That doesn't work long term. Also I'd say that since you're still at a point where you're carrying a lot of excess weight then realistically all you need to do to get things moving in the right direction is to focus on getting your diet right and just get more active. Get out there and walk, walking is an AMAZING form of exercise, and you'd be surprised by how much it will improve your general fitness.

Bodyweight exercises are great and I always advise people to give them a go. If you have any doubts about what they can do for you then check out Waldo or even check out his website http://strengthunbound.com It's pretty impressive stuff.

If you want some inspiration to keep you motivated, a few of my heroes on here are Ferguson911 (his Woot thread is here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33245-i-cant-believe-it-o ) and Iron_Glider (Woot thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55519-90lbs-finally-burned-october-2013-14/#entry1264731 ) They've both achieved amazing results and are exactly what this place is all about.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hey! Welcome on board. I think you'll find lots of like minded people on here and plenty of support and advice.

I'd like to echo what Severininfurs said about doing something that you enjoy rather than pushing yourself to do something that you hate, just because you think it's "good for you". That doesn't work long term. Also I'd say that since you're still at a point where you're carrying a lot of excess weight then realistically all you need to do to get things moving in the right direction is to focus on getting your diet right and just get more active. Get out there and walk, walking is an AMAZING form of exercise, and you'd be surprised by how much it will improve your general fitness.

Bodyweight exercises are great and I always advise people to give them a go. If you have any doubts about what they can do for you then check out Waldo or even check out his website http://strengthunbound.com It's pretty impressive stuff.

If you want some inspiration to keep you motivated, a few of my heroes on here are Ferguson911 (his Woot thread is here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33245-i-cant-believe-it-o ) and Iron_Glider (Woot thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55519-90lbs-finally-burned-october-2013-14/#entry1264731 ) They've both achieved amazing results and are exactly what this place is all about.

Thank you for the advice!  I have a Fitbit now, so I am going start walking and tracking how I do.  I plan to do a lot of it!  It worked really well after back surgery, so I have my paths and such in mind for building up distance and stamina now.  And I appreciate the links to your heroes!  Those are a couple of awe-inspiring stories.

I will be posting my Battle Log today...  and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks for the welcome!

Weight Below 240 Pounds

15.1%
15.1%

Oooh! You've got a Fitbit? You can add me as a friend if you want. Here's the link: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2GBCZM

Lots of my Fitbit friends are people from the forum too. There's an NF group on the Fitbit forum, though I don't think anyone posts there very much, but it's a good place to go to find other people from here to help keep you motivated. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hi :) Welcome! Have you given any thought to how you want to achieve your goals? What does the "ideal" you look/act like? (just curious, not something you have to answer or be expected to know yet ;) )

I'm glad you are here!!!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Oooh! You've got a Fitbit? You can add me as a friend if you want. Here's the link: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2GBCZM

Lots of my Fitbit friends are people from the forum too. There's an NF group on the Fitbit forum, though I don't think anyone posts there very much, but it's a good place to go to find other people from here to help keep you motivated. :)

Cool!  I will definitely add you - I haven't added anyone yet, so that sounds like a great way to stay motivated.  Once I add you, can you see my stats and I see yours?

Hi :) Welcome! Have you given any thought to how you want to achieve your goals? What does the "ideal" you look/act like? (just curious, not something you have to answer or be expected to know yet ;) )

I'm glad you are here!!!

Thank you ma'am!  Those are great questions, and I am still working on that image of what I see as the ideal me.  Of course I have the grand picture (along the lines of Nicholas Cage in Con Air) but the "me's" I need to be along the way need some focusing.  As I develop it, may I run them by you for your feedback?  I think that could help.

• Like 1

Weight Below 240 Pounds

15.1%
15.1%