Forums are back in action! ×

Post-Workout Meal

I had it in my head that not eating after working out is better because it prolongs the fat burning period (something I really want). But when looking up how to lessen DOMS (which I have big-time right now), the info points to eating a post-workout meal as a means to preventing muscle soreness. Is it standard procedure to eat something after strength training?

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered: "Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money in order to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future. He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

Someone here will be better able to explain the "why" than I am, but yes, lots of people will recommend a post-workout meal (and a pre-workout meal). This study found better lean muscle gains and improved strength for people who supplemented with a certain ratio of protein, creatine and glucose before and after strength training: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17095924

I'm not a fan of supplementing so I try to do it with food. I personally eat a little bit of carbs (the only carbs of my day) plus protein in the form of fruit and nuts before, and a protein-centered, larger meal after (grilled chicken on salad usually, or stir fry meat and veggies).

I had it in my head that not eating after working out is better because it prolongs the fat burning period (something I really want). But when looking up how to lessen DOMS (which I have big-time right now), the info points to eating a post-workout meal as a means to preventing muscle soreness. Is it standard procedure to eat something after strength training?

Fatty acid oxidation: http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/fatty-acid-oxidation.html#mobilization

Post workout meal (timing): http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/tdnjl/

After a hard workout I usually eat the flesh of my enemies, that way I can absorb the power of their ancestors and become the greatest warrior of all time!

...that and a glass of chocolate milk; it's got the perfect ratio of protein:carbs, and it tastes so damn good!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Mizvalentine, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I wonder if the pre and post workout meals apply to someone like me. But I am up for trying it if it'll help me recover from strength training better and maintain more muscle mass while dieting.

Alecto, I haven't skipped any cardio, but tried doing an angry birds workout yesterday and royally sucked at it. I want to give strength training another try later on today, probably something easier like with a barbell (because at my weight bodyweight exercises can be tougher). I probably haven't been drinking as much water as I should. Weather's getting colder and I tend to ease up on the hydration without realizing it, so that's something to keep tabs on. And a good night's sleep is a pipe dream right now with young children at home who wake me up nightly and then way too early in the morning. As long as DOMS will go away eventually and lessen as training improves, I will stay the course.

JS, the BBC isn't loading for me right now. I'll check it out later; thanks. As for that fatty oxidation page, if I'm understanding it correctly, working out without eating before or after should produce ketones that will release stored fat. That's exactly what I'm after. But I also want to reduce my chances of getting DOMS again. Choices, choices. Maybe I can have the best of both by eating only after the strength training. Fat burning is enhanced during the workout, but muscles get fed afterward.

Killer, the cannibalism thing isn't my cup of tea, but that glass of chocolate milk sounds tempting. I haven't had a glass in months since trying to lose weight. Trying to cut the sugar out whenever I can. Perhaps now that I'm strength training it can become part of my diet again.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered: "Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money in order to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future. He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

While I don't have access to any of them at the moment (typing on my phone), there are many studies that talk about the importance of protein post workout. It's supposed to help build the muscles you just worked. Building muscle=burning more fat more of the time=best way to improve body composition/lose fat. So, post strength training, yes, I would eat some protein, good carbs and healthy fat. Just a bit. Doesn't have to be a large meal or highly caloric. It might help and shouldn't affect your weight loss goals negatively. Just make sure you account for it...obviously.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

After a hard workout I usually eat the flesh of my enemies, that way I can absorb the power of their ancestors and become the greatest warrior of all time!

Great source of protein!

I'm by far no expert bit I used teo be around fitness junkies every day... and ALL of them swore by eating protein after a workout... ether in the form of a shake or a meal when they got home but it was always with in an hour of finishing the workout

+1 on MEAT

Flesh of enemies is ideal. A great steak, hamburger (bun optional), chicken breast, milk with chocolate protein powder, etc. are great alternatives when your victim gets away.

Mon: DeadLift, Pulldown (Chin grip), DB Rows, Push-ups

Wed: Bench Press, Military Press, DB Press, Chins

Fri: Squat, Leg Press, Good Mornings, Chins, Push-ups

Seconded on 67alecto's advice about DOMS. If you stay consistent, it'll get lessen and almost be non-existent at a certain point. As for the post workout nutrition, protein is definitely the way to go. As for other factors about the post workout food (timing, what to eat, etc), I'll just link you to something I read that might help a bit.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=659666

Killer, the cannibalism thing isn't my cup of tea, but that glass of chocolate milk sounds tempting. I haven't had a glass in months since trying to lose weight. Trying to cut the sugar out whenever I can. Perhaps now that I'm strength training it can become part of my diet again.

Try going for the low fat/no fat/skim version to cut out the sugar or mixing the chocolate stuff with skim/almond/soy milk. Again it's got the perfect ratio of carbs : protein for optimal recovery.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Try going for the low fat/no fat/skim version to cut out the sugar or mixing the chocolate stuff with skim/almond/soy milk. Again it's got the perfect ratio of carbs : protein for optimal recovery.

During my low-carb period, I used to make a drink out of unsweetened almond milk and watered cocoa powder mixed with stevia. It was decent. I don't think it has much protein, though. With one of my 6-week challenge goals being to spend less on groceries, basic chocolate milk in moderation might be my best bet.

Seconded on 67alecto's advice about DOMS. If you stay consistent, it'll get lessen and almost be non-existent at a certain point. As for the post workout nutrition, protein is definitely the way to go. As for other factors about the post workout food (timing, what to eat, etc), I'll just link you to something I read that might help a bit.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=659666

After reading that article, I'm not going to be too concerned over meal timing anymore. I still have lots to learn about strength training and nutrition, but for now will just be happy with overall lifting and eating healthier.