Forums are back in action! ×

Buffalo, NY (really the suburbs south of the city) Gets Buried

For anyone NOT following the news, the suburbs south of Buffalo, NY have been getting absolutely pounded by "Winter Storm Knife" these last couple days. Snow totaling over 76 inches in places has paralyzed local roadways, and with more snow expected Wed night into Friday that total may exceed 100 inches; thats 8 FEET of snow in less than 5 days. Arent you glad you dont live there? Because, well, I DO. Anyone care to send some warm thoughts?

• Like 1

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. "-Henry Rollins

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

"Crawling is acceptable. Falling is acceptable. Puking is acceptable. Tears are acceptable. Pain is acceptable. Injury is acceptable. Quitting is unacceptable"

That's about our average annual snowfall here in Ottawa (Too far from Lake Ontario to really get lake effect snow), and that usually involves a few rounds of trucking off snow, so I can imagine what a mess it must be. Here we've had snow, but just a bit (I shoveled once, but didn't "need" to). Looks like we're getting more overnight.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Read about it in the news. Doesn't sound fun at all. Do you have power? Hope you can stay inside, safe and warm.

Power, heat, all safe and warm and cozy. Even better our plow guy showed up so we are now no longer snowed in! Granted where I live wasnt hit as hard as some but we still got 4-5 feet...

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. "-Henry Rollins

"Crawling is acceptable. Falling is acceptable. Puking is acceptable. Tears are acceptable. Pain is acceptable. Injury is acceptable. Quitting is unacceptable"

Power, heat, all safe and warm and cozy. Even better our plow guy showed up so we are now no longer snowed in! Granted where I live wasnt hit as hard as some but we still got 4-5 feet...

I just can't even imagine that much snow. At least your street was plowed. That ought to count as several workouts shoveling your driveway!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

at some point, does the difference between 4-5 feet and 7 feet pretty much not matter?

I just can't even imagine that much snow. At least your street was plowed. That ought to count as several workouts shoveling your driveway!

I was just posting in a warrior's thread that the snow presents a great workouts opportunity. HIIT shoveling, shoveling for time, snow drift sprints, etc.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

at some point, does the difference between 4-5 feet and 7 feet pretty much not matter?

at 4-5 feet, I could still see over the top... at 7, I'm buried... so yeah there's a difference. :-)

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

It's supposed to warm up a bit today and get some melting going, right?

pond.png

Totally worth a read, as are all the others:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/104/

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It's supposed to warm up a bit today and get some melting going, right?

pond.png

Totally worth a read, as are all the others:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/104/

I know what the guy at the end of that article feels like... we only hit below 70 this week when that cold front from Alaska made it's way down here, and holy crap did it make an entrance.

and yes... XKCD is awesome...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

So the Second Wave came through and re-buried us........the snow is deeper NOW than it was yesterday when we got plowed out(by a guy we pay to plow, not the town guys). The town plow came  and left this huge pile right at the end of my driveway.....essentially trapping me and my neighbors at the end of the street behind a giant wall of snow.....

So the Second Wave came through and re-buried us........the snow is deeper NOW than it was yesterday when we got plowed out(by a guy we pay to plow, not the town guys). The town plow came  and left this huge pile right at the end of my driveway.....essentially trapping me and my neighbors at the end of the street behind a giant wall of snow.....

I sent my weather... it's gonna take a while. Just sit tight and it'll get there... :-)

My first challenge

Thing is, rapidly melting snow is also a big problem as that water's gotta go somewhere. It's going to warm up a bit and start raining over the weekend, and then Monday is supposed to be quite warm... find your storm sewers and clear them off so the water's got somewhere to go!

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

For anyone NOT following the news, the suburbs south of Buffalo, NY have been getting absolutely pounded by "Winter Storm Knife" these last couple days. Snow totaling over 76 inches in places has paralyzed local roadways, and with more snow expected Wed night into Friday that total may exceed 100 inches; thats 8 FEET of snow in less than 5 days. Arent you glad you dont live there? Because, well, I DO. Anyone care to send some warm thoughts?

That just sounds like torture to me.  But I hate cold weather.  Hope everything is ok for you up there!  

And you asked for warm thoughts, so here ya go:

alluring-tropical-island-beach-scenery-w

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™