Forums are back in action! ×

Monday Training:

Squat:

3 @122.5kg - protip, if 115kg feels dodgy slamming 7.5kg on isn't going to fix things

3x5 @100kg - by the last set I'd remembered how to keep my back tight

Bench Press (paused 1st rep):

3 @75kg

3x5 @67.5kg

Hang Snatch:

5x3 @44kg

Assistance:

Dumbbell Rows, Overhead Lunges and various ankle/ hip mobility work.

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Just an observation of something I've seen on the boards alot. It looks like you are doing a power style squat in a heeled shoe. Is that your intention? If you look at how your femurs and hips interact in your back squat relative to your overhead squat during your snatch, you will likely see what I mean. If it's your intent then forget I said anything. If not, just mull it over a bit.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Just an observation of something I've seen on the boards alot. It looks like you are doing a power style squat in a heeled shoe. Is that your intention? If you look at how your femurs and hips interact in your back squat relative to your overhead squat during your snatch, you will likely see what I mean. If it's your intent then forget I said anything. If not, just mull it over a bit.

Yes, No and re bit about silly decisions to go heavier when it was clearly not on the cards for yesterday.

YES.  

Also, where did you get those mad lifting skills, TankWeasel!? Freaking awesome stuff.

Persistance.  Just keep at it and you'll get there.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Some mixed feelings this morning.  A girl I help coach at the judo club has been awarded a blue by the university after taking bronze at an area championship.  Which is great because we've been pushing for awards like this due to the great perfomance our club has.

However, I was knocked back on a nomination while at uni as powerlifting wasn't a recignized sport, despite being national junior champion three years running and a senior title under that too.

You win some and you lose some.

"Gentle means tired."

Is it NGB status that's required before it's a recognised sport or is it Olympic/Commonwealth sports?

Glasgow uni argued that it was participation rates, which was why we had to fight for our judo national medalists to get awards  too.  Now judo have proven their participations rates and we get stuff at area championships.

We had a couple of weightlifters who'd been Scottish and Irish champions as well as GB medallists who also got blanked.

"Gentle means tired."

Tuesday Training:

Clean & Jerk: 5x3 @54kg, 3 @56kg - the extra work on jerk is paying off.  I'm not pushing out in front now.
Snatch Grip Deadlift: 3x5 @65kg

Paused Front Squat: 5 @67.5kg, 4x5 @70kg
Assistance: Inverted Rows, Lat Pull Down and ab stuff.

The heavier my jerks get the narrower my split gets.  Maybe I should just go back to power jerks.

"Gentle means tired."

Today at BJJ I kept dominating in situational sparring and didn't understand why.

Half guard counts as an escape from turtle, where as the same kind of drill in judo would call for you to get into a hold down.  I instinctively got into half guard and started working to side control.

• Like 2

"Gentle means tired."

Thursday:

Paused Squat (3 count): 3 x 3 @100kg - my poor wee leggies are broken.
Squat: 5x5 @100kg

Bench (comp paused): 1 @79kg

Paused Bench (3 count) 5 @65kg, 5 @69kg, 3x5 @65kg

Assistance: OH Squat, Bent Over Row and seated cable row.

I felt very tired going into the gym and my legs were like jelly.  Considering I was okish Monday and Tuesday I'm putting today down to just being a bad day. 

As the weeks go on out of the suit my squats stance is starting to get narrower again.  Equipped lifting :(

"Gentle means tired."

"How long have you been doing BJJ?"
"Third time here."

Then grassed up by the coaches for having done judo and already competed in BJJ a few times using a judo background.

I'm still going turtle to half guard and struggling to get sweet from half guard when the big guys decide it's time for a cuddle.  If I can get full guard, side control or keep control at a distance I'm golden.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

Saturday:

Deadlift: 4x4 @112.5kg, 2 @130kg, 2 @145kg, 9 @112.5kg
OHP: 12 @26kg, 8 @31kg, 5 @34kg, 3 @36kg, 13 @26kg
Jerk: 2,3,3,3,2 @52kg - these need to be a bit sharper
Assistance: planks & renegade rows

"Gentle means tired."

Tuesday:

Squat: 3 @120kg - normal service has resumed

Squat: 3x5 @97.5kg

Bench Press (1st rep paused): 3 @77.5kg - was hoping to get closer to 80kg again today, but shoulders were unevenly set

Bench Press (1st rep paused): 3x5 @67.5kg

Snatch: 3 @41kg, 3 @45kg, 1 @45kg, 3 @44kg, 2 @45kg, 3 @45kg - some technical difficulty, not finishing the pull

Assistance: dumbbell row and over head lunges

BOOM! 55kg again.  This is not normal for seasonal eating.  I'm doing so well.

I'm also having a think about framing to escape a hold vs my usual work for the choke because getting sat on by big people sucks.

"Gentle means tired."

Wednesday:

Clean & Jerk: 2, 2, 3, 3, 2 @53kg

Snatch Pull: 3x5 @53kg

Paused Front Squat: 5x5 @73kg

Assistance: Pushup, rows, lat pull down and ab stuff.

I got home at 9pm last night, and was back out at the gym again at 10:30am today.  My legs actually held up ok but I think I wasn't there mentally, my jerks were all over the place again.

"Gentle means tired."

Saturday:

Squat (3 count pause): 3x3 @105kg

Squat: 5x5 @105kg

Bench Press (competition pause): 70kg, 77.5kg, 80kg, 81kg, 83kg, 85kg - was wary going over 80kg but things felt easy
Bench Press (3 count pause): 3x5 @ 69kg, 2x5 @65kg

Assistance: bent over row, cable row and over head squat

I regret not recording today's benches :(

"Gentle means tired."

2" ROM rather than 1.75"? :-p

Yeah, it's 1.75" now.

Remember the story I told you about the girl that took a breath and then exhaled on the press command, the one that had to retake the attempt and actually bend her elbows?  (Chinese Taipei)

"Gentle means tired."