Forums are back in action! ×

Nice work. A few thoughts on the jerk..

I'd try moving your feet in for the drive phase. Loathed mentioned your back knee coming in on the split but I think the weirdness is more related to your feet actually traveling medially into the split position resulting in the ol "tight rope" split. We generally go for the reverse, drive from around hip width and spread the feet out (laterally) into a more squat width position for the split support. Your rear femur looks mostly ok from this angle considering the close support stance. If you can get your feet wider it'll probably sort itself out. You may notice your rear foot ends ankle out to varying degrees on most of the reps, which is good, and can also create the illusion of a wonky knee from certain angles. Similarly you land toe in on the front foot sometimes and this is also not a bad thing. In fact a lot of high level coaches actually prefer this.

So wrapping all that up, I wouldn't worry too much about those minutia (because they are actually net positives) other than to play with the drive to support width change.

Outside that I'd also work to break the habit of recovering with the back foot first. Whenever possible and when we get into a nice balanced split support we want to try to drive off the front leg first. The rear step is sometimes required to save lifts but in general will cause otherwise well supported lifts to start moving forward and then you're off to the races chasing it out front.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

So question... I thought the ideal situation was neutral spine (meaning your head should stay in line with your spine) throughout movements.  I mean obviously, you are clearly in a different echelon of lifter then I, but figured I'd ask the question on why you throw your head back so far prior to every squat? 

Nice work. A few thoughts on the jerk..

I'd try moving your feet in for the drive phase. Loathed mentioned your back knee coming in on the split but I think the weirdness is more related to your feet actually traveling medially into the split position resulting in the ol "tight rope" split. We generally go for the reverse, drive from around hip width and spread the feet out (laterally) into a more squat width position for the split support. Your rear femur looks mostly ok from this angle considering the close support stance. If you can get your feet wider it'll probably sort itself out. You may notice your rear foot ends ankle out to varying degrees on most of the reps, which is good, and can also create the illusion of a wonky knee from certain angles. Similarly you land toe in on the front foot sometimes and this is also not a bad thing. In fact a lot of high level coaches actually prefer this.

So wrapping all that up, I wouldn't worry too much about those minutia (because they are actually net positives) other than to play with the drive to support width change.

Outside that I'd also work to break the habit of recovering with the back foot first. Whenever possible and when we get into a nice balanced split support we want to try to drive off the front leg first. The rear step is sometimes required to save lifts but in general will cause otherwise well supported lifts to start moving forward and then you're off to the races chasing it out front.

I'm always worried toe in is caused by my dodgy ankle not wanting to do as told.

Width would explain why I still favour a squat jerk over the split jerk and the rear recovery explination explains the shuggling overhead that I don't like. 

The one big thing I seem to get picked up on from my jerk is that I try to split before I drive.

So question... I thought the ideal situation was neutral spine (meaning your head should stay in line with your spine) throughout movements.  I mean obviously, you are clearly in a different echelon of lifter then I, but figured I'd ask the question on why you throw your head back so far prior to every squat? 

Bad habbit, one the GB coaches are trying to break.  It's me looking back up after checking my feet.  The coaches want me to get to the stage where I can walk out and go.  It'll mean I get a quicker start signal and waste less energy.

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Tuesday:

Paused Deadlift:  5x5 @80kg - bringing these back in as assistance

Clean & Jerk: 5x3 @53kg - trying to split but my foot is all "naw, I like it here"

Paused Front Squat: 5x5 @75kg

Assistance: inverted row, push up, lat pull down and ab roll out

Considering doing a few "weightlifting workshops" as a lot of the coaches I've spoken too would love to coach me... if I was a full time weightlifter.  I am too far into powerlifting for that switch.

"Gentle means tired."

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Some feedback from the Judo coaches last night.  My groundwork is still solid, I rarely get a solid Ippon scoring throw in, but my transition from throws is good.

I'd improved greatly while I was training at the national training facility but that all fell away in the run up to the IPF worlds, along with two judo sessions a week.  This is obviously where my standing has started to fall away again.

The entry list for the Scottish Open has been posted and the 57kg class looks easier compared to the 52kg class.  Determined to make weight as this is a tester for the European Classic, even if it does lessen my medal prospects.  (One international and one squad player at 57, tons at 52)

"Gentle means tired."

Thursday:

Paused Squat: 3x3 at 107.5kg - despite feeling wrecked managed to improve on keeping knees out

Squat: 5x5 at 107.5kg

Paused Bench: 70kg, 77.5kg, 82.5kg, 86kg - not getting my pauses called for me and feel I might be cutting them a bit on my own
Long Pause Bench: 3x5 at 69kg, 5 at 65kg, 4 at 65kg - rushed these so inadequate rest between sets

Assistance: bent over row and cable row

Have some well dodge benching.

"Gentle means tired."

Sunday (GBPF Classic Squad training):
Body Weight: 55kg (1.5kg actual weight still to lose)

Squat: 135kg  (140kg competition best)

Bench: 77.5kg  (85kg competition best)

Deadlift: 145kg (147.5kg competition best)
Total: 357.5kg (365kg competition best)

Bench and deadlift were a bit low for me but this isn't a competition with a peaking cycle so every one is expected to be a bit down.  However I'm pretty close to my bests while dieting down, with only deadlift being a grinder of a lift.  Coaches are happy and think it looks good for the Europeans.

I'm still worried about that deadlift as I know it's what's going to let me down on the medals table.

"Gentle means tired."

Monday:

Squat (heavy): 3@120kg - these were pretty good, didn't want to push is further the day after squads though

Squat (light volume): 3x5@100kg
Bench (heavy, 1st paused): 3@77.5kg - poop

Bench (light volume,  1st paused): 3x5 @70kg
Snatch: 5x3 @44kg - technically sloppy, reverting to power snatch on some
Assistant: db row and overhead lunges

vidyas to follow when I get home.

BONUS!!! Weighing in at 54.7kg this morning, likely to just sneak into the 52kg class this weekend.

"Gentle means tired."

And next week you can have that doughnut? :-p

One, though, only one.   I don't want to undo the hard work before the classic in March.  The water weight will go back on but I'd like to keep my actual body weight that I've lost off.

"Gentle means tired."

I'm very glad I'm not going to be in your office tomorrow.

Anticipating serious hangries? ;)

More that I'm going to feel a bit wrecked.  I have the afternoon off to go cut the lst bit of water weight but I'llbe sitting sweating all morning any way.

"Gentle means tired."

Wednesday:
Halting Deadlift: 5x5 @85kg

Clean & Jerk: 5x5 @53kg

Paused Front Squat: 5x5 @76kg
Assistance: push up, inverted row, lat pull down and ab stuff.

(followed by judo where I actually relearned to throw just in time.)

Thursday:

Paused Squat: 3x3 @110kg

Squat: 5x5 @110kg
Bench (Comp Pause): 70kg, 77.5kg, 82.5kg, 86kg - at 54.5kg body weight, hopefully this keeps moving up as the shift towards 52 continues
Bench (Long Pause): 3x5 @67.5kg, 2x5 @65kg
Assistance: bent over row & cable row

Friday:
Day of Judgement.  Still 2kg over weight and it has to start snowing making it difficult to run anything off.

"Gentle means tired."

Ugh... I feel so terrible for you.  Been a long time since I took part in wearing those contraptions. 

I thought I'd got away with just chillin in the sauna all after noon.  Got on the test scales and was .2kg over, blizzardy here so had to go on the cross trainer in my sauna suit and about five layers, got in at 51.7kg.

A bit of forward planning for the Euros as I don't want to do that again.

"Gentle means tired."

Saturday:

So glad I've made the move back to 52kg.  I feel like I'm not spending effort and energy stopping myself from getting thrown while trying to throw.  This seems like the weight class for me even if I am a bit tall and lanky for it.

I've been told to seriously consider upping my judo practices back to 2 -3 times a week again, and attending the women's senior practice at Ratho (national training centre... lol) every so often.

Sunday:

Deadlift: 4x1 @132.5kg, 5x3 @117.5kg
Deficit Deadlift: 3x5 @95kg
Shoudler Press: 12@25kg, 8 @30kg, 5 @33kg,  3 @35kg, 11 @25kg
Jerk: 5x3 @48kg
Assistance: renegade row and plank

Deadlift program rejigged and should hopefully work better and less risk of burn out.

"Gentle means tired."

It sounds like your skills are being recognized. Would more judo hurt your lifting and how would you feel about that?

Yes, I would struggle to fit in all the training and I'm already an international level powerlifter.  I'm a bit old to hit international level in senior judo, but would be a solid shout for masters in three years.

"Gentle means tired."

Wednesday:

Halting Deadlift: 5x5 @90kg
Clean & Jerk: 5x3 @54kg
Paused Front Squat: 5 @83kg, 3 @78kg, 5x5 @70kg - I forgot that I'd swapped out the womens' bar back to a 20kg one and misloaded my first set,  then misloaded what I decided would be a nice easy down set, do
Assistance: pushup, inverted row, lat pull down /w scap retraction and barbell roll outs.

Thursday:

Paused Squat: 3x3 @112.5kg

Squat: 5x5 @110kg

Bench (comp pause): 70kg, 77.5kg, 82.5kg, 86kg - fail at 88kg, rotated my shoulder out the bottom
Bench (long pause): 5x5 @65kg
Assistance: bent over row and cable row

Friday:

I got to show some kumi kata and kasushi to the jits guys.  I was confused by their impressedness at my grip stuff as I don't think highly of myself in that realm, then I realised it's how a lot of their stuff is new and impressive to me.

"Gentle means tired."