Forums are back in action! ×

This section is perfect for my challenge this time around (I'm "stockpiling" healthy habits so I can really get back to working out)!

I'm not gonna lie, it hurts to think how far I've fallen - around a year ago, I broke through my person pushup wall and went from 4 on a really stellar day to 16 on an average day in about 2 months. A little before that, I could actually run a couple miles in a row and, hell, I participated in a 50 mile relay race with coworkers and completed my 13.1 miles under my goal pace.

Now, I'm nursing a hurt shoulder, my back issues have resurfaced after a handful or years, I'm 15 pounds heavier than I have been, and while I'm in a much better place mentally than 6 months ago, I'm still not feeling as resilient as I was before.

So what happened?

Truthfully, I tried to do it all and all by myself to boot. I started a kickass morning routine, got a whole bunch of responsibility at work, took on a huge project in the training of my very reactive (read: looks aggressive when out in public) dog, and tried to cover for my bf at home while he does work and school full time (so yeah, all the cooking, cleaning and project completions). Add to that a couple serious incidents that truly shook my faith in what I do and who I am, and well, that's how I got from there to here. 

Now, the good news is I'm 4 challenges past my lowest point and although the changes aren't physical yet, they are there. I've been working with a counselor to address my perfectionist tendencies (a perfectionist is not perfect, merely miserable because they cannot be) and how to ask for help (cause, you know, perfect people don't need help, right? :P). A physical therapist gave me good stretches for my back and shoulder, and my boss is super supportive of me rearranging my work schedule so I can take care of myself to boot. Not only that, but the bf is helping when he can, my Mom moved from MN to WA, and my friends are almost all of the "be healthy and have fun doing it" mentality.

And one of the best parts? I have a new strategy/goal that is based on fun and not fear - being an archer! So that's my respawn point - in the training yard, learning how to strengthen my body so I can pull a hefty long bow some day :)

• Like 1

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Now, I'm nursing a hurt shoulder, my back issues have resurfaced after a handful or years, I'm 15 pounds heavier than I have been, and while I'm in a much better place mentally than 6 months ago, I'm still not feeling as resilient as I was before.

And one of the best parts? I have a new strategy/goal that is based on fun and not fear - being an archer! So that's my respawn point - in the training yard, learning how to strengthen my body so I can pull a hefty long bow some day :)

I think the second flows out of the first.  Cutting through all the perfectionism and fear will get you into a better mental place.  From there comes the strength to accomplish your goals.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.