Forums are back in action! ×

A Traveler's Respawn

3 months ago I started traveling the world by myself...and with traveling to unfamiliar countries with unfamiliar foods with unfamiliar streets and unfamiliar people, my food and exercise life went buh bye!  And that sucks.  And it needs to change.

So here's to me attempting to figure out how to exercise while living out of hostels, eating healthy while surrounded by fried street food and 7-11s, and slowly working towards becoming the best version of myself.

I mean that's what long-term travel is about right?  Finding yourself?  Not really sure on that one, but it is an opportunity for me to focus solely on ME.  On doing what I want to do, on going where I want to go.  It's about being selfish.  And if I don't want to go out drinking then I don't have to.  If I don't want to eat fried food and opt for something healthier that's my perogative.  

And I SERIOUSLY need to get over being embarassed about working out in public.  Dorm rooms are not exactly conducive to working out but I should be able to find SOMEWHERE where I can do a bit of exercise.

Rewpawn on, my nerdy friends.

I used to train dolphins and sea lions...now I'm traveling the world on a solo mission of awesomenss (16 months and counting)  :)

**Check out the account of all my travel adventures on my website Home Behind - The World Ahead (get it?....get it?)**

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.†– Robert Louis Stevenson

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.†– Susan Sontag

“Not all those who wander are lost.†— J. R. R. Tolkien 

Playgrounds are like gyms in disguise!! Go early in the morning or around 6 pm, thats when theres less people around (playground = kids, kids go home early). If youre in Asia, abandoned temple complexes are awesome for it! (Try running around Angkor Wat, I dare you) and mountain hikes are the perfect way to see the world and to workout simultaneously. If you reach the top, do 20 squats to celebrate

What I did a year back was helping farmers in their rice fields, which is a great way to get to know the people, their lifestyle, habits, language and its even worse than "leg day" ;) be inventive! It gets you places :)

Losing 10 kilograms

8%
8%

100 consecutive push-ups goal

25%
25%

If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you!

Playgrounds are like gyms in disguise!! Go early in the morning or around 6 pm, thats when theres less people around (playground = kids, kids go home early). If youre in Asia, abandoned temple complexes are awesome for it! (Try running around Angkor Wat, I dare you) and mountain hikes are the perfect way to see the world and to workout simultaneously. If you reach the top, do 20 squats to celebrate

What I did a year back was helping farmers in their rice fields, which is a great way to get to know the people, their lifestyle, habits, language and its even worse than "leg day" ;) be inventive! It gets you places :)

Thanks for the reply!  I honestly hadn't thought about temples!  As long as i can find a place where it wouldn't be disrespectful I really like the idea.  

Unfortunately Asia (at least from what I've seen) is surprisingly short on playgrounds.  Otherwise I'd totally be all over that.

Hikes are definitely great and I love them.  Though at the moment, after hiking for 3 weeks to Mt Everest, I'm a little 'trekked' out.  But I'll soon recover!  I also try and walk everywhere and when you're carrying a backpack that certainly helps.  Maybe I'll start doing squats while wearing it :)

I used to train dolphins and sea lions...now I'm traveling the world on a solo mission of awesomenss (16 months and counting)  :)

**Check out the account of all my travel adventures on my website Home Behind - The World Ahead (get it?....get it?)**

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.†– Robert Louis Stevenson

Yea, watch out with temples; Usually, the abandoned ones that are the main tourist attractions work best, as they aren't used as actual temples anymore!

A Mt. Everest trek sounds so cool though!! I'm dying to do that one day :)

Good luck and have loads of fun on jour journey, both the world travel and the fitness juorney ;)

• Like 1

Losing 10 kilograms

8%
8%

100 consecutive push-ups goal

25%
25%

If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you!

Things have been pretty easy in the healthy eating/exercise department over the past week as I've stayed put on the island of Koh Lanta in Thailand.  I had my 'restaurant' that served good, healthy food, fresh fruit galore, and a beach 5 min away where I could swim, walk, run, and do yoga.  But it couldn't last forever (unfortunately...that island is awesome!) and I've come back to Bangkok for 2 days before heading off to the Philippines for a month.  There are no parks around my hostel in Bangkok but I've covered some serious walking distance over the past 2 days so I'll call that a win in the exercise department.  

Eating has been pretty decent (though I'm still working at getting over my fear of street food which is crazy after 3 months of never having any issues when eating it) though I've had to resort to the 7-11 a few times for nuts/seeds and dinner tonight was spicy ground pork with veggies and boiled rice and some sunflower seeds.  Could be worse.  I did have a coolata from Dunkin' Donuts yeterday though (shhhhh don't tell - I was just so excited to find a little piece of home all the way on the other side of the world).  But I moved on and had a healthy lunch and dinner.  Success!

Fingers crossed I can quickly work out the food system in the Philippines.  Travel is always tough as you get used to what's good/healthy and then you leave and have to start all over again.  I'm going to the famous Rice Terraces almost as soon as I arrive which will involve a bit of hiking which I'm looking forward to.  Exercise/site seeing combo FTW!  

I've done alright the last few days!

I knew I was going to spend most of the day traveling yesterday so I found a bit of green space near my hostel and did a bodyweight circuit workout.  Then bought a breakfast of hardboiled eggs, boiled rice, and tomatoes and sunflower seeds for snacks for the plane.

There were a few unhealthy choices that came throughout the day (free ice cream on the plane and an offering of beer from new travel friends at my hostel in Manila) but overall I'd call the day a win!  

Now I'm off for a walk around the city for a little exploration.

What you are living right now is my goal! :)

Do it!  I will always encourage someone to travel.  It takes a lot of hard work and time but it's oh so worth it!  If you have any questions about it feel free to ask! (or visit my travel blog which you can find in my signature) 

When I got here to Manila I found a grocery store near my hostel so I bought some lettuce and a bunch of veggies and canned tuna for lunches (lasted 3 days).  Then at night there was a night market across the street where I could buy various meats on a stick and rice for about $1.50.  Been pretty proud of my food choices the last few days!  I also have a 9 hour bus ride tonight so I bought a bunch of nut snacks to tide me over through the night.

This morning I found a bit of green space to do a bodyweight circuit which was great!  I was absolutely dripping sweat because its so hot here in Manila but I felt awesome afterwards.  The plan initially was to do this every other day but I'm just starting out and finding that it takes an extra day for my muscles to become less sore so I can work out again.  Hopefully as I do this more I'll be able to get into an every other day routine.  Tomorrow though I'm going to be doing quite a bit of walking/hiking through the Batad rice terraces so that will be a fun/unique workout!

Do it! I will always encourage someone to travel. It takes a lot of hard work and time but it's oh so worth it! If you have any questions about it feel free to ask! (or visit my travel blog which you can find in my signature)

We travel as much as possible, but are planning on full time when my husband retires in 11 years. :) I will check out your blog. Mine is gfvagabond.blogspot.com

Battle Log    Challenges:  1, 2

Not the greatest eating day today but got in my meditation first thing this morning and had a nice long walk around Manila.  Going to try as hard as I can to eat well tomorrow but it's an all day travel day to Boracay Island.  In my walk today I did find a huge grocery store though so I should be able to find snacks to bring with me...hellooooo nuts.

I'm enjoying the Philippines but damn this traveling is exhausting and I think I desperately need a reboot.  I'm going to enjoy the rest of my time here but I'm sorely looking forward to getting back to Thailand and chilling out before heading to Singapore to continue the 'chilling'.  I've been sick for almost 3 years now (with still no doctor being able to tell me what's wrong) and while my symptoms are less than they were even a year and a half ago, they're still lingering and I'm sick and tired of it (literally and figuratively).  Now's the time to hunker down and get myself healthy again.  This whole travel thing is ME time.  Figuring out what i want.  More about myself.  And now figuring out how to make myself better and healthy and happy again.  I'm 26 dammit and I feel like i'm 60.  Unacceptable.  Time for things to change (and figures crossed that's possible).