Forums are back in action! ×

Hey guys - I'm reporting for duty!

I'm 22 (or will be tomorrow), female, Australian. Always been average-ish size wise, but never fit or athletic.
Through school, I was never into sports - too uncoordinated and unsure of myself. I hate failing at anything!

I'm not a gamer, but I've always read heaps. Like, I'd sit at lunch during school and read, or maybe play the piano. Anyway, at the start of 2014 I decided to 'get fit' because I was sick of having no stamina - a genetic blessing from my mum, and one I hate - and started doing cardio a few days a week. Went well, I had more energy and I was making great habits of getting out of bed and running.

But then, life got busy, and fitness took a backseat. I hadn't really gotten properly on the bandwagon again since until a few weeks back when I googled 'beginner bodyweight workout' and came straight to Steve's page.. and promptly spent a heap of time trawling through his fascinating site! I've completed that workout a few times now - just come through another busy patch in my life now and all set to dive in head first. Really, my initial goal was to build stamina so I could do great things in real life without crashing out, and now my secondary goal is to be strong. Obviously I'll need to work on something more concrete - for example, I'm a complete weakling and can't even do a proper pushup.

*Sorry for making this such a long intro*

Part 2 - diet. My brother struggles with his weight somewhat, and I've convinced him to try eating Paleo with me on weekdays. He's agreed... but now I'm going to need to do some planning/sorting out! Any tips for begginer Paleo eaters would be greatly appreciated.

As for race etc... I would have called myself a human (again, splendidly average :)), but maybe I'm an Elf. And one thing I'm sure of, I want to be an Assassin, and parkour looks seriously cool. Okay, two things then!

Thanks all for allowing me in - I'll do my best to support the team!

• Like 1

LilLucia

Level 2 | Wood Elf, Assassin in training

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

STR: 4.1 | DEX: 1.37 | STA: 1.37 | CON: 8.55 | WIS: 4.0 | CHA: 1.0

The first rung of the ladder: Challenge #1

Maintaining the ground & my sanity: Challenge #2

“A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.†— Helen Keller

I'm a confused musician/writer/reader/introvert/nerd, in training to be an awesome wife/nurse/tutor/mom.

Thanks both!

So far, I was just thinking of continuing with the bodyweight workout, building upper body strength etc. Then I'd like to work on jumps and so on.

How did you start out, Ocelot?

• Like 2

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

“A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.†— Helen Keller

I'm a confused musician/writer/reader/introvert/nerd, in training to be an awesome wife/nurse/tutor/mom.

I'm not sure I remember how I started out here. Lemme go and look at my first posts.

Hmm, it seems I was aiming for 'clean eating' (that can't have lasted long) calorie counting and obsessing about protein/sugar intake (I don't do that any more, but it did help when I was trying to lose weight) I was also running a few miles most days (definitely not doing that now!) lifting very light weights (gotta start somewhere). It wasn't til I moved onto some serious bodyweight training (pull ups, push ups and pistol squats) and stopped depriving myself (and also stopped overdoing cardio!!!) that I finally lost the weight that had been bugging me for a couple of years. Everyone's journey is different, but I would definitely recommend concentrating on protein, good nutrition (by which I mean ENOUGH FOOD and high quality, vitamin containing food like fruit and veg) and strength training- just because that's what worked for me, but also it's the same basics that a lot of other successful people seem to follow.

• Like 2

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

I'm not sure I remember how I started out here. Lemme go and look at my first posts.

Hmm, it seems I was aiming for 'clean eating' (that can't have lasted long) calorie counting and obsessing about protein/sugar intake (I don't do that any more, but it did help when I was trying to lose weight) I was also running a few miles most days (definitely not doing that now!) lifting very light weights (gotta start somewhere). It wasn't til I moved onto some serious bodyweight training (pull ups, push ups and pistol squats) and stopped depriving myself (and also stopped overdoing cardio!!!) that I finally lost the weight that had been bugging me for a couple of years. Everyone's journey is different, but I would definitely recommend concentrating on protein, good nutrition (by which I mean ENOUGH FOOD and high quality, vitamin containing food like fruit and veg) and strength training- just because that's what worked for me, but also it's the same basics that a lot of other successful people seem to follow.

Great, thanks for that.

I can't wait to be flexible and strong. So gonna do this :)

• Like 1

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

BTW you can train push ups and pull ups even if you can't do one (I couldn't when I started)

Push ups - start on your knees!

Pull ups - do negatives, where you use a stool or something to get up to the bar/branch/whatever and take hold, then let your legs hang and lower yourself down as slowly as you can. OR, do pull ups from a horizontal position, using the edge of a table.

Work through a program of sets for those lighter moves, and you'll eventually be able to do the real thing!

• Like 3

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Hey there lillucia! Glad to have you on board :D

Seeing as you're new here, I felt it might be helpful to mention Accountabilibuddy groups. Within the whole of the Rebellion, there are smaller groups in which you can join; and they're a great way to get extra support, and make new friends :)

Here's the link to the Accountabilibuddies thread.

Oh, and THE DAI-GURREN BRIGADE is always open to new members, so feel free to stop by if you want :rapture:

Anyways, like I said, I'm glad you're here! The journey ahead will be a long one, but don't worry, because everyone here at NF will be with you, every step of the way! So let your courage burn bright, and go kick some ass!!! :triumphant:

• Like 1

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Sounds awesome - thanks so much Will!

Whee.. I spy an Assassin Initiates group! :D

And Will, I had a poke around your legends.. I love your writing! Perhaps I can work some of mine in too :)

Look out today... here I come!!

• Like 1

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

Sounds awesome - thanks so much Will!

Whee.. I spy an Assassin Initiates group! :D

And Will, I had a poke around your legends.. I love your writing! Perhaps I can work some of mine in too :)

Look out today... here I come!!

No problem, I'm glad I could help :)

Awesome! Sounds like you've found yourself a good group :encouragement:

Thanks! Ooh, that sounds neat; so what kind of writing are you thinking of doing? :rapture:

Now that's a great attitude to have! Let's go :triumphant:

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

wOOt! more assassins!

Hello Lilucia, happy belated birthday!

Mark Sisson's marksdailyapple.com is what got me into paleo. Check it out.

As for pushups, there's this book called 'You Are Your Own Gym' (you can google YAYOG) that is The Bible of bodyweight if you ask me. It has a nice progression of pushups that will eventually get you to the proper pushup and beyond… you should look that up too

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Mark Lauren - FOX "Good Day Atlanta (July 1, 2010): http://youtu.be/3mi7pZncY4Q

not the best video, but at least it'll give you an idea on where to start your pushup training. :D

I started here a while back (wall pushups). I can do 10 regular ones in a row now. So there is nothing stopping you from doing the same.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Awesome, thanks so much erosan! You've all made me feel so welcome :D

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER