Forums are back in action! ×

I've Been Standing in the Graveyard

Well on 12/2, I got the Respawn email and honestly, it was at that point, I realized I'd died. Let me explain - no there is too much, let me sum up.

This year I have been slipping back into old bad habits (a trip to Culver's here, a trip to Fritz's for a concrete with Reese's cups there).  The only thing I have ENTIRELY given up and stayed true to for more than four years is "no soda/sweetened drinks of any kind".  So there is a solid, long-term win.

In the past four years I've kept off 55lbs and at one time, had lost as much as 70lbs. I'm clocking in about 225 right now and should weigh about 185 so clearly there is some work left to do.  The hard hat needs to be put back on.  Yes keeping off 55lbs for that long, is a great thing.  But it's also like getting most of your epic gear in WoW but you're still waiting for the head/chest piece to drop.

A bit about me.  I'm a husband/dad and turning 45 next week.  How I've gotten healthier is by eating Primal, not strict Paleo (though those things are getting closer in definition now), and by increasing my movement.  Early on, for a bit, I did CrossFit but it wasn't something sustainable for me.

So how did I "die" and need to respawn?  I think, looking back at the combat log, I just lost heart, let my buffs fade and then stopped doing my "dailies" of a healthy life.  The thing is that life never stops.  Temptation never stops.  Those bosses never stop swinging.  And when I did, well ... I fell.  Its pretty simple.  I stopped, the bosses didn't.  I die.

"Don't stand in the fire"

I went from having lost 70-75lbs to now only having kept off 55.  I took a big hit.  But like Rocky said, "It's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can GET HIT and KEEP MOVING FORWARD."

This past week I've been "standing in the graveyard" deciding whether or not to rez.

Yesterday, I was laying in bed before I got up for the day and I thought of that quote above again too.

I thought of "life and its temptations" just like they were standing there in the room, watching me, taunting me, telling me I couldn't get back up and face them.  I thought of being a fat kid back in high school, being made fun of without my shirt on in gym class when we had to play "shirts and skins" for basketball.  I remember the laughing and that hurt. I could nearly hear that the old temptations were saying, "You can't get back up again.  This respawn thing is stupid.  Just a gimmick.  You made some headway for awhile but you're still gonna fall down.  Just.  Like.  You always.  Do."

And I thought about it.

Then I eased my legs over the bed's edge.  Put my feet on the floor.  And slowly, deliberately.  I stood up and said, "I'm still standin'.  I'm still breathin'.  I can still move.  So I'm still gonna fight".

So my plan:

• Tighten up the eating, cutting out the crap-ola again.
  • For awhile, until it becomes habit and I get a "feel" for it again, I will track my macronutrients on Paleotrack.com
  • Goals are: 
    • To keep my carbs under 50g per day which should be fairly easy to do with going back to eating meat and veggies mainly.
    • Start moving again.  This morning I started with kettlebells - something I wanted to get into for awhile.  This should be fun!

So today I wanted to log in and put this there.  Maybe it will help somebody else.  Maybe it's just me.  But I needed to share it.  Thanks for making a way to do so.

You meet your goals the same way you miss your goals, one decision at a time.  The key then is ...Make Better Decisions.

So how did I "die" and need to respawn?  I think, looking back at the combat log, I just lost heart, let my buffs fade and then stopped doing my "dailies" of a healthy life.  The thing is that life never stops.  Temptation never stops.  Those bosses never stop swinging.  And when I did, well ... I fell.  Its pretty simple.  I stopped, the bosses didn't.  I die.

"Don't stand in the fire"

I sense a kindred spirit here, I too died because I stood in the fire that life threw at me instead of getting out of the way.

I was informed at the beginning of November that I was being laid off at the end of November. That news stunned me, and I just gave up. I started drinking daily, eating lots of high sugar foods and stopped exercising.

I have decided that it is time to move out of the fire and do my dailies again.

• Like 1

Viking Warrior

LEVEL 2 | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

As a resto druid - PLEASE don't stand in the fire!! ;)

Don't let your brain and body talk you out of getting healthy - I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that it's SO hard to get back on the fitness horse and stay there because your body is complacent right now.  It takes work and pain and effort to level up, and you're going to want to resist it because it's hard.. but so so worth it.  I can honestly say NF has changed the way I view and tackle my fitness goals, it's excellent.

Definitely make a battle log to hold yourself accountable and meet other rebels that will cheer you on through the progress, and cast Rebirth on you when it seems all hope is lost.  You got this!!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  As a Dwarf Retribuation Paladin, I can stand in the fire a bit longer but then I run outta heals quickly.  Funny how life imitates gaming sometimes :)

• Like 1

You meet your goals the same way you miss your goals, one decision at a time.  The key then is ...Make Better Decisions.

I sense a kindred spirit here, I too died because I stood in the fire that life threw at me instead of getting out of the way.

I was informed at the beginning of November that I was being laid off at the end of November. That news stunned me, and I just gave up. I started drinking daily, eating lots of high sugar foods and stopped exercising.

I have decided that it is time to move out of the fire and do my dailies again.

So I have to ask, how do you get that super-cool progress bar in your signature?  Big fan of that.

Go to your profile settings, then select signature.

When you go to edit your signature there is an icon on the toolbar between the quote bubble and the twitter bubble. Use that to set your progress bars. You have to manually update them though.

1. Nerd Fitness Rebellion
  3. → My control panel
  5. → Settings
  7. → Signature
  • Like 1

Viking Warrior

LEVEL 2 | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 1