Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for the ON switch.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lisa and I'm.....UGH.

So, my story in a nutshell....

Raised by a single mom that rewarded my sister and I with food.

I have always been overweight past the age of 5.

In 2009 at my heaviest (260lbs) I had the Gastric Lab Band surgery.

Within 2 years I went down to an unhealthy 176 before I had to have the band removed due to complications. 

Now in 2014 my weight has crept up to 210 lbs.  I am not happy with my health or my body.

I feel as though I know all there is to know out there on what it takes to get healthy in regards to what foods to eat, not eat, calories, activities etc.

However, I lack the willpower and motivation to get started.  I know that I am the only one that can control those feelings long term.  Which brings up my question...."Where is my ON switch?"

How do I get going and keep going....?

I can at times muster up what I need to get going...but when the weight doesn't magically melt off I get upset and eat and then hate myself and repeat.

I am actually going to see a Hypnotherapist to see if he can break through some mental barriers I have to flick that switch ON.

I welcome and feedback, opinions, advice.....

Thanks for listening...

Lisa

If you read the "wow, I lost xxx pounds!" stories, the one thing they all have in common is a trigger.  Something happens - for each person, it's a little different.  But that one pivotal moment is what motivated them to make their life changes.

I don't think it's something you can force, or engineer.  That said, you know what your triggers are, and that's a great first step.

You've talked about your battles with food - what kind of fitness/exercise programs have you tried?

If you read the "wow, I lost xxx pounds!" stories, the one thing they all have in common is a trigger.  Something happens - for each person, it's a little different.  But that one pivotal moment is what motivated them to make their life changes.

I don't think it's something you can force, or engineer.  That said, you know what your triggers are, and that's a great first step.

You've talked about your battles with food - what kind of fitness/exercise programs have you tried?

I agree...there seems to be a trigger that is unique to each person.  I figured since I have been through a somewhat life changing episode with my Lap Band - my quality of life was next to nothing- my trigger would have been knowing that I don't want to go back to that point in my life.  Living through that sacrifice and making it out alive, but I guess not.  I did Zumba, walking, your typical gym stuff, every diet you can think of....

As soon as I get home from work....first thing I want is a glass of wine and food...

That craving doesn't usually go away until I fall asleep at 10pm

I am hoping that my pivotal moment comes soon....just not sure I can wait that long.

=(

I'm a big fan of lists - it's how my brain works these days.

If I might suggest: make a list of the exercise approaches you've taken, and below each one, write down why you stopped.  Be as honest as you can, and as detailed as you can.  

The idea is to scrub the list and find out if the exercise is something you genuinely didn't like or want to do, versus something you created self-imposed stumbling blocks.  For example, if I don't have my gym bag packed and ready to go when I get home, I'm not going to the gym.  If I have to do any work besides changing clothes and grabbing my bag, it likely isn't going to happen.  Especially if I'm tired.  That's a self-imposed stumbling block for me, because I really do enjoy lifting weights.  I just have to shove myself over that initial hump.  Your stumbling blocks might be completely different - which is why you're making the list.

Also write down what you enjoyed about each exercise - what did you enjoy about Zumba?  About walking?  What was your "typical gym stuff"?

I can also sympathize with the "need to feed" as soon as I get home.  I'm also a tactile eater, which means I'm more likely to reach for chips, or something with a crunch - realizing that trigger, I keep a bag of wheat bran cereal on the shelf to take the edge off and give me that satisfying crunch.  What kind of food do you reach for when you get home?

Hey Lisa,

Your story rings very close to where im at in my journey. I went from 240lbs down to 160 in about a year, now im back up to 215.  I'm in the same boat as you, knowing what I need to do, how to do it but failing on the "getting started" and "keeping it going" aspects.  I tend to get depressed over stuff that's going on in my life and that leads to eating which leads to more depression. 

I am personally going to try and lean on these boards for support when im feeling weak.  I know what I need to do, I just need someone to help pull me in the right direction when I am about to falter. People in my life (wife, friends etc) are helping me as much as they can, but I find when people tell me no to whatever it is I want to eat or do I kind of rebel against them. In the past I found success reporting to people online who are dealing with the same issues that I currently am going through.  Its hard to explain that urge and craving to someone who can put down the lays potato chips after just 1 handful.

I am a newb to nerd fitness, hopefully we can find the support and assistance here to make the changes we need to make for good!  If you feel the urge to eat id say come on here and post it. I think that's what im going to try and do. Will see how it works.

Good luck! You have friends and support here!

• Like 2