Forums are back in action! ×

Another dwarf springs from the stone

Hello, hello, fellow rebels!

Been lurking around here for a few months, and finally decided to join. I decided to take the name Stonefist on here, as it was my very first character, some fifteen+ years back. He was a dwarf warrior, and judging by my appearance (always been stocky, of late also bearded), preferences (malt beer and meat off the bone, yes please!) and goals (recently changed my life from pushing pens and computer buttons to a line of work that involves quite a bit more physical strength) so am I.

Started at an all-time high (low?) of 105 kg after quite some time where the most strenous physical activity I did was drag myself out of bed. Never was much into the whole fitness thing, especially the dreaded cardio (ugh!), but at least biking around had until then kept me in some semblance of shape.

So yeah, long (and probably familiar) story short: Changes were being made, including moving halfway across the world and decided that was as good a reason to drag my lazy bum off the couch as any, found Nerdfitness, and started with the BBWW, which promptly kicked my behind. Three months later, and I'm well past it, so looking for some more inspiration and advice here.

Nerd cred:

Twenty years or so of roleplaying (d20, White Wolf, etc.), most as a DM.

Literally a Tolkien fan from birth, my dad picked his books up in the late sixties.

Avid reader of anything remotely fantastical (scifi, fantasy, classic folktales etc. etc.)

Dwarf Warrior

Level 2| Str 4| Dex 1| Con 3| Sta 3| Wis 1| Cha 1|

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry"

Daily battle log

Current challenge

Hello, and thank you for the welcome!

Yeah, I've only deadlifted twice, and when I hit 195x5, I called it a day. A bit concerned about hurting myself, so I'd rather take it slow than get cocky and pull something.

Unfortunately (well, not really, I do enjoy that, too, just started doing balance assisted pistols, which I am reasonably proud of), I am limited to bodyweight stuff until I can make myself a lifting cage. I'm rather the grumpy, and most of all, tight-wad sort (hey, what'd you expect, I'm a dwarf!), so gyms are right out. I went in one once, to see what it was like, and let's just say I will never pay good money to be harassed and beleaguered with "advice" that even I know is woefully incorrect.

So yeah, currently my weight set-up consists of rubber mats to protect my basement floor, a barbell and your basic set of weights. I figure that without a spotter, that limits what I can do to deadlifts, rows and perhaps overhead-press.

Dwarf Warrior

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry"

Daily battle log

Current challenge

Mmm, yes. That's where the tight-wad bit comes in again. I am however, fortunate enough to have access to a welder, ironworking tools, cheap steel and I just downloaded the design from the StartingStrength website, so I figure one of my first quests will be hitting the "forge" and banging out a cage of my own.

Thank you for the well-wishes. I afraid I am still just a beardling (switched about half a year ago to full beard after having had just chops for years), but I hope to see it grow along with my PR's.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%