Forums are back in action! ×

Challenge YOUR body image.

The cynic in me wants to say that sexuality on TV is OK because it usually involves beautiful people...nude beaches may expose us to that undesirable element - a non air brushed body that does not conform to the medias idea of beauty....and we can't have that now!

I was thinking something along these lines the other days and I was wondering if that's one of the main issue with Americans and body issues. For most Americans it seems that the only naked/near naked people they see are those in magazines all air brushed and perfect and so we're lead to believe that anything other than that is not good. Maybe if we were to accept nude beaches etc we'd actually get to see more typical bodies and realize that that's totally normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

We took the family to Iceland last year and I have to admit the first time in one of the communal (single sex) showers I felt a bit self conscious, but by the end of the 10 days I didn't even think twice about being nude in front of strangers - if felt totally normal and comfortable. It was quite amazing how you can change your perception in just one week.

This is exactly right. When you see people who aren't beautiful on tv being nearly nude, they are being made fun of. I don't even walk outside in shorts/skirts past my knee for this reason.  

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarf Half-Dragon Monk

Monk Apprentice. My Current Challenge.

STR: 1 | STA:1 | DEX: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 1 | CHA: 0

"Do or do not. There is no try." -Awesome Short Dude

I've had the conversations several times in Europe, trying to explain to friends why Americans can have tons of sexuality and violence on the TV but not nude beaches.  I've got no answers, except that we're not comfortable in our own skin and tend to transfer that discomfort to whomever...

Can't change the channel at the beach.

-

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

You have, but it's cool if you tell us again

[emoji1]

• Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Did I hear someone say "nude beach"? Aw man, this time last year I was on a nude beach in Montego Bay. That's my happy place, and not even being shaped like a cylinder wearing an inner tube could ruin my mood. Too bad I was too poor to go back this year. North Americans need to get over their body image issues and get on board with the nude beach, wobbly bits and all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The cynic in me wants to say that sexuality on TV is OK because it usually involves beautiful people...nude beaches may expose us to that undesirable element - a non air brushed body that does not conform to the medias idea of beauty....and we can't have that now!I was thinking something along these lines the other days and I was wondering if that's one of the main issue with Americans and body issues. For most Americans it seems that the only naked/near naked people they see are those in magazines all air brushed and perfect and so we're lead to believe that anything other than that is not good. Maybe if we were to accept nude beaches etc we'd actually get to see more typical bodies and realize that that's totally normal and nothing to be ashamed of.We took the family to Iceland last year and I have to admit the first time in one of the communal (single sex) showers I felt a bit self conscious, but by the end of the 10 days I didn't even think twice about being nude in front of strangers - if felt totally normal and comfortable. It was quite amazing how you can change your perception in just one week.

I agree. The more we are exposed to something, whether good or bad, the more acceptable it becomes.

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Did I hear someone say "nude beach"? Aw man, this time last year I was on a nude beach in Montego Bay. That's my happy place, and not even being shaped like a cylinder wearing an inner tube could ruin my mood. Too bad I was too poor to go back this year. North Americans need to get over their body image issues and get on board with the nude beach, wobbly bits and all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But then how will the poor ad industry take advantage of our insecurities?  

• Like 1

Took about two months of lurking and a new NF account but here it is.

Left side pictures were taken 15 months ago, right side pictures where taken today.

front comparison

side comparison

No idea about my body type, google search turned out to be really unhelpful! I'll try again tonight with the full picture where I don't look beheaded.

• Like 7

Left side pictures were taken 15 months ago, right side pictures where taken today.

No idea about my body type, google search turned out to be really unhelpful! I'll try again tonight with the full picture where I don't look beheaded.

Damn.... *2 thumbs way up*

• Like 4

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Throwing this out there - when I get brave enough to post a pic, it will be partially based upon how supportive you are of every picture on this thread.

O_O.... wow... *Walks off with big sh*t-eating grin*

I may have a cold, but you just made me feel a lot better... :-)

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

you look great! :D

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

You look fabulous. Great work!

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Thank you very much everybody! :)

I still can't believe that I uploaded progress pictures. I usually feel very low about myself and was very stressed about uploading them but your encouraging comments took some of the stress away.

By the way that's what google thinks I look like (NSFW).

mens-lonjo-open-back-mesh-briefs-side.jp

I couldn't find any picture I thought was close to mine. :/