Forums are back in action! ×

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like you felt better for the family fun time, the super nap hopefully helped you bat whatever plague was trying to down you.

Naps and family fun time make everything better. 

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

^^^ The world needs more of this philosophy 

:) existential liberal American Catholics (70's era variety) are probably rare. 

19 hours ago, deftona said:

I was going to ask how you know what this feels like but what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. I'm glad the magical llama kisses made you feel better. 

You're acting as if that isn't a typical Friday night. Although I admit, we usually don't involve a llama. 

19 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

So true... and it is an honour to be trusted and deemed able to help those kids who are hiding in the back, then to see their faces light up when you explain something to them in a way that helps them to understand and also enjoy the outing. Thanks Sloth, I needed to hear this again today.

:) 

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You sure you didn't sneak a jelly donut and made everyone do pushups while you ate it?

No, but that would have made everything worthwhile. 

6 hours ago, Jakkals said:

If you are like me, you will never learn. I've given up on self control once I got started.

You call that a short ride!!!?

You're probably right, if I haven't learned in near 50 years, it probably won't happen. :( 

A short ride is 15-29 miles (24 - 47 km). Once you get used to biking, it takes more and more to be satisfied. Really anything under two hours. 

18 minutes ago, Xena said:

I love the sloth philosophy of life!

Weird that you woke up so sore. Hopefully no more days like that for a while (except the napping part, that sounded lovely).

Probably a virus.  Today I woke up fatigued and sore throat. I blame hanging out with new kindergarteners with new germs. 

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

5/14/17 Sunday - Mother's Day

Like I said I woke up with plague symptoms - weak, fatigued, woozy. We went to our usual Mother's Day brunch. Service was terrible which upset mother sloth and I couldn't eat much.  It was still enjoyable for everyone once Mrs. Sloth got another waiter involved and was able to relax. I think we'll end up somewhere else next year. I tried to nap, but the kids wouldn't let me without Mrs. Sloth to scare them off. 

Mrs. Sloth dropped off Twinkle (the Maltese poo) with her new owners. I hope she's doing okay.  She was most likely in the same kennel with Twylla (the Shih Tzu) for the last 11 or 12 years. Twylla is kind of freaking out and she's in an environment she knows.

We took the training wheels off of Slothboy's bike and he is riding solo now. I went on a short, slow ride in the late afternoon. I got a flat tire a block from home.  

Training: 

Yoga - no.

KBs - no.

Ridning - 15 miles in a long time. Plan was for 40, but I didn't think that was prident. 

Eating - I'm eating a vat of Apple Jacks as I tap this out. Why is this in the house? I'm the only one in the house who'll eat this crap and no one claims to have bought it. Otherwise okay. 

Spending- I don't want to talk about it. 

• Like 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

54 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We took the training wheels off of Slothboy's bike and he is riding solo now. 

Way to go Slothboy!  Pretty soon he is going to want to start tagging along on your "short" rides :)

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

5/14/17 Sunday - Mother's Day

Like I said I woke up with plague symptoms - weak, fatigued, woozy.

I got a flat tire a block from home.  

Bummer on both counts. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Eating - I'm eating a vat of Apple Jacks as I tap this out. Why is this in the house? I'm the only one in the house who'll eat this crap and no one claims to have bought it. Otherwise okay. 

Lord, how true that statement is. My wife bought a 12 pack of Surge when Coke re-released it last year I think. I ended up drinking 11 of the 12 cans in a 4-5 month span. So what happened? She, of course, bought another 12 pack. Ugh... now it sits in our fridge tempting me every time I open it. In moments of strength, I'm tempted to pour some down the drain. But then I'd get yelled at for being wasteful or I'd feel guilty for getting away with being wasteful.

Spending- I don't want to talk about it. 

Sorry man. Out of curiosity, if you've done a budget, what are your monthly expenses at in terms of a percentage of your overall income? No worries, if you haven't done a budget, or just don't want to talk about that stuff publicly. 

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Way to go Slothboy!  Pretty soon he is going to want to start tagging along on your "short" rides :)

I think he was reluctant to take the training wheels off because he thought I would make him go mountain biking. 

1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

How's the plague?

It's alright. I opted to sleep in this morning; I'll get some kind of workout in this afternoon.

54 minutes ago, Rooks said:

Bummer on both counts. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lord, how true that statement is. My wife bought a 12 pack of Surge when Coke re-released it last year I think. I ended up drinking 11 of the 12 cans in a 4-5 month span. So what happened? She, of course, bought another 12 pack. Ugh... now it sits in our fridge tempting me every time I open it. In moments of strength, I'm tempted to pour some down the drain. But then I'd get yelled at for being wasteful or I'd feel guilty for getting away with being wasteful.

Sorry man. Out of curiosity, if you've done a budget, what are your monthly expenses at in terms of a percentage of your overall income? No worries, if you haven't done a budget, or just don't want to talk about that stuff publicly. 

A 12 pack in 4-5 months is pretty good will power. 

No I don't have a budget. When I get paid I automatically put a big chunk into Mrs. Sloth's acct for household expenses and a big chunk into savings so we can afford not to work over the summer. I then put all of the bills that will come out of my acct into the ledger for the next two weeks. After all of that I have appx 10% that is purely discretionary. Restaurants, Target, and bike shops consume that quickly. Mother's Day put me in the red so I'll be depleting the savings. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

No I don't have a budget. When I get paid I automatically put a big chunk into Mrs. Sloth's acct for household expenses and a big chunk into savings so we can afford not to work over the summer. I then put all of the bills that will come out of my acct into the ledger for the next two weeks. After all of that I have appx 10% that is purely discretionary. Restaurants, Target, and bike shops consume that quickly. Mother's Day put me in the red so I'll be depleting the savings.

That actually sounds like a pretty good budget. :) You understand where 90% of your money is going. Well actually 100% of your money, but 90% is dedicating to the "important" stuff. I put that in quotes because having a fun purchase now and then is important as well. 

So I'll ask a secondary question. What would be the hope or goal of spending less? Is there a long term big expense you'd like to make? Or it just a nebulous "I waste money. I should stop that." Don't take it the wrong way if that is the goal. That's a good idea, but it might help to put direction into the goal if that is the case. 

Also, my apologies if this has all been outlined previously. I suck at keeping up with threads.

If I spend less I can pay more toward debt which frees up money.

If I spend less I don't have to raid the savings account which means I have funds for emergencies and won't acquire more debt and I am sure to have enough summer money.

I've never paid enough attention to my money. Right now I'm trying to build the habit of keeping my checking account balanced and not use the credit card.

I think I suck at outlining stuff. I just blurt it out on the page and change my mind about it next week.

Having said that, my current goals are:

Yoga - near daily habit, it keeps the pain away which allows me to train.

KBs- near daily Simple & Sinister alternated with Strength Aerobics, I move better, am stronger, and am more durable when I have a KB habit. I'm thinking about swapping a Strength Aerobics day for sledgehammering just because I like it.

Eating - don't eat the crap that makes me sick. This is surprisingly hard given all the negative reinforcement.

Spending - keep my accts balanced, live within my means.

• Like 7

Yesterday I received an email from Mt Borah Epic reminding me there's less than 3 weeks until the race. Holy crisp did it freak me out. I am no where near ready for 37 off road miles. 

This

morning I got up at 4;30 to get some miles in but there was a thunderstorm. I tried to write up an awesome plan to get me ready, but all I could come up with is daily yoga so I can train, daily KB so I don't break, and daily riding for endurance. 

1 down, 19 to go. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Yesterday I received an email from Mt Borah Epic reminding me there's less than 3 weeks until the race. Holy crisp did it freak me out. I am no where near ready for 37 off road miles. 

This

morning I got up at 4;30 to get some miles in but there was a thunderstorm. I tried to write up an awesome plan to get me ready, but all I could come up with is daily yoga so I can train, daily KB so I don't break, and daily riding for endurance. 

1 down, 19 to go. 

Sometimes simplicity is awesomeness. Looks like a very good plan to me. 

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 2017-5-15 at 9:40 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

If I spend less I can pay more toward debt which frees up money.

If I spend less I don't have to raid the savings account which means I have funds for emergencies and won't acquire more debt and I am sure to have enough summer money.

I've never paid enough attention to my money. Right now I'm trying to build the habit of keeping my checking account balanced and not use the credit card.

I think I suck at outlining stuff. I just blurt it out on the page and change my mind about it next week.

Having said that, my current goals are:

Yoga - near daily habit, it keeps the pain away which allows me to train.

KBs- near daily Simple & Sinister alternated with Strength Aerobics, I move better, am stronger, and am more durable when I have a KB habit. I'm thinking about swapping a Strength Aerobics day for sledgehammering just because I like it.

Eating - don't eat the crap that makes me sick. This is surprisingly hard given all the negative reinforcement.

Spending - keep my accts balanced, live within my means.

I've just started keeping a closer eye on my money.  (Then my boiler has broken and it's £500+ for new parts and labour....)  I have similar aims in that I'm trying not to fritter so I have money for things I actually properly want to do, and can save, both long and short term.  An extra £100/month off the mortgage pays it off 3 years earlier, so I'm doing that.  And drip feeding each month a little into an investment product, as I wanted to dip my toes into investment for a while and I've read that doing it this way is good as you're never putting all your money in at a peak or trough.  This month hasn't been great, but it's been interesting to see that I spend on crap emotionally too (as well as eat it).  So the aim here too is to cut that out.  Also, and again similarly, I'm finding it's really easy to keep to the budget where I'm accurate (so yoga class x amount a week, personal training another, train fare another, etc etc).  I'm even more or less keeping to my food budget.  What's hard is the 'pocket money' bit.  Because it's easier here to say sod it and blow a load I shouldn't.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:45 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

As as a bonus for you, here's the sloth philosophy of life, slightly updated for NF - Life is like a tough mudder.  It's a pile of shit and much tougher than it needs to be. But if you keep slogging away you'll probably end up alright. When you come across someone who needs help you should offer it; there's usually a huge leverage, a small effort on your part makes someone else's life much easier. 

can I adopt this saying?

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

There's a Simpsons moment where the principal is sanding in front of an auditorium and the kids are off the chain.  He says, "Well, I've counted down from ten.  Nothing else I can do."  That's my whole life right now. I skimmed an article that came across my reader claiming teachers are so worn out because of decision fatigue and from trying not to snap when dealing with students. I can't say it's wrong. 

It's been raining in my hood.  I haven't ridden in the last two days.  If it's raining again tonight I'll take the trainer back out and suffer. 

5/16/17 Tuesday

Training:

Yoga Studio - 15 minutes. 

strength aerobics - 10X1/1 clean/OH press/lunge at 16kg  + 5X1/1 at 20 kg in 15 minutes. 

Riding - no, raining.

Eating - like a chump.

5/17/17 Wednesday

Training:

Yoga Studio - 15 minutes

S&S - 5X1/1 KB swings at 20kg in ~ 10 min. & 4X1/1 get ups at 16 kg + 1X1/1 at 20kg. 

Riding - no, raining. 

Eating - I was given most of a box of chocolate chip cookies. There aren't any left. @Jakkals was right, I'll never learn. 

I know my numbers aren't big, but I'm pretty happy with how KBs are coming along.

I downloaded the Yoga Studio app so I could yoga in the yard without buying a portable DVD player. It was $5. I prefer pirate yoga, but if you can tolerate soothing yoga I reccommend it. My gripes are that it doesn't have a countdown timer and the default class is 15 or 30 minutes and I like 20 minutes. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

There's a Simpsons moment where the principal is sanding in front of an auditorium and the kids are off the chain.  He says, "Well, I've counted down from ten.  Nothing else I can do."  That's my whole life right now. I skimmed an article that came across my reader claiming teachers are so worn out because of decision fatigue and from trying not to snap when dealing with students. I can't say it's wrong. 

my beau's mum is teacher, and my own mum was a sub for a while.  I've heard some horror stories.  I can't even imagine what it's like to have to put up with their crap.  and I like kids!  D:

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

On 5/18/2017 at 8:48 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

There aren't any left. @Jakkals was right, I'll never learn. 

I have found giving the box to someone else to hide away works. I do have the self discipline not to go and search for it, but every time I want I have to ask. My box of easter chocolates is still mostly intact. 

But once I find it, it's gone. Unless I tell people to find another hiding place.

• Like 3

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I was given the opportunity to teach band at Upper elementary level one year. Trapped in a room with kids trying to play clarinet or trumpet for the first time. Ye gods. And these were kids who wanted to learn. Still was very hard to get them to focus. I don't know how teachers do it day after day. You have my admiration.

• Like 2
On 5/16/2017 at 6:15 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sometimes simplicity is awesomeness. Looks like a very good plan to me. 

Thanks.  The hard part is following a plan.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:47 PM, Xena said:

The girl who can't remember to drink water won't throw stones on this one.

I never touch the stuff.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:01 AM, LouCarJo said:

I've just started keeping a closer eye on my money.  (Then my boiler has broken and it's £500+ for new parts and labour....)  I have similar aims in that I'm trying not to fritter so I have money for things I actually properly want to do, and can save, both long and short term.  An extra £100/month off the mortgage pays it off 3 years earlier, so I'm doing that.  And drip feeding each month a little into an investment product, as I wanted to dip my toes into investment for a while and I've read that doing it this way is good as you're never putting all your money in at a peak or trough.  This month hasn't been great, but it's been interesting to see that I spend on crap emotionally too (as well as eat it).  So the aim here too is to cut that out.  Also, and again similarly, I'm finding it's really easy to keep to the budget where I'm accurate (so yoga class x amount a week, personal training another, train fare another, etc etc).  I'm even more or less keeping to my food budget.  What's hard is the 'pocket money' bit.  Because it's easier here to say sod it and blow a load I shouldn't.

It sounds like you're doing well.  Yes, emotional spending is an easy way to go far into debt.

On 5/17/2017 at 10:28 AM, cracked_belle said:

can I adopt this saying?

:) Pay it forward might be easier to rememeber.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:26 PM, cracked_belle said:

my beau's mum is teacher, and my own mum was a sub for a while.  I've heard some horror stories.  I can't even imagine what it's like to have to put up with their crap.  and I like kids!  D:

Don't mind me, I'm just feeling whiny again.  Subbing is terrible, I bet you've heard some horror stories.

On 5/19/2017 at 2:33 PM, Jakkals said:

I have found giving the box to someone else to hide away works. I do have the self discipline not to go and search for it, but every time I want I have to ask. My box of easter chocolates is still mostly intact. 

But once I find it, it's gone. Unless I tell people to find another hiding place.

The missus reminds me that I'm not good at moderation, but I am good at not doing the thing at all.  I threw out all the treat that only I eat and am going cold turkey on sweets again. 

On 5/20/2017 at 0:01 AM, Emma said:

I was given the opportunity to teach band at Upper elementary level one year. Trapped in a room with kids trying to play clarinet or trumpet for the first time. Ye gods. And these were kids who wanted to learn. Still was very hard to get them to focus. I don't know how teachers do it day after day. You have my admiration.

Band seems like a hard class to teach.  Too many students doing too many different things with too much noise and you're stuck in the front of the room.  Good for you though.

• Like 2

Let's try to catch this up.

Thursday - I did all the things, ate like a dickhead.

Friday - We went on a field trip to what is basically an indoors boy scout camp.  The kids did reasonably well and I got to do a little archery and climb a wall.

I did none of the things (unexpected family stuff), ate like a dickhead.

Saturday - I did none of the things because I was sick as Hell from eating like a dickhead.  We finally bought the new fridge we've been needing.  Because Mrs. Sloth is smart she waited for a good sale and doubled up coupons at Home Depot.  It ended up costing half of what I was expecting.

I am totally cutting out the slothbelly triggers again.  I can't be trusted with moderation.

It has been freezing and raining for at least a week and looks like it will keep doing so.  Around here we don't ride on wet trails.  I don't think I'll get a mountain bike ride in before the race.  That should be interesting.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Around here we don't ride on wet trails.  

Is that because of erosion concerns or something else?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

23 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Because Mrs. Sloth is smart she waited for a good sale and doubled up coupons at Home Depot.  It ended up costing half of what I was expecting.

Oh woot! woot! for Mrs. Sloth.

Sorry you are missing out on a lot of rides outside due to the weather.

Holidays are close, aren't they? (or is it singular?)

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 5/21/2017 at 10:48 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Is that because of erosion concerns or something else?

Yes.  I live in the city, so I mostly ride at urban parks and the trails get overused.  Our trails are built on loamy soil that holds water really well.  When they're ridden wet they rut deeply and they get reallly wide, also fun features get washed out or demolished.

There's a trail about two hours north of me built on mine tailings. It drains so quickly you can ride in the rain and not see standing water.  That's an emergency option if I need to make sure I'm still used to my bike's handling.

21 hours ago, Xena said:

I wish the article had given a magic cure for what to do about the stress.

Oh wait, there kind of is one...

Reveal hidden contents

summer vacation (much needed!!)

Hah.  I thought there'd be a picture of beer.  That's been my go-to for the last couple of years.  The article was suggesting I put as much as possible on auto-pilot and I'm sure there'll be follow-up articles about that.

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I feel you on this.

How much school is left?

16.5 student-contact days.  They're making us go until June 15 this year.  Taking a gigantic pay cut and moving up to Ely is looking more and more appealing (school is closed during tourist season, Memorial Day to Labor Day).

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh woot! woot! for Mrs. Sloth.

Sorry you are missing out on a lot of rides outside due to the weather.

Holidays are close, aren't they? (or is it singular?)

Yep, she's the smart one.  The sun came out today.  The kids have classes so I won't ride, but I'll at least get outside to mow the lawn.  A little over three weeks away.

Y'all should ignore me and my whinings for the next three weeks.  I'll get through this.

• Like 4