Forums are back in action! ×

Hello...I'm a little lost (TOTALLY new looking for a bit of direction)

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness only yesterday and have been reading articles and poking around. I love the site! I have thought about joining the Nerd Fitness Academy, but do not know if it would be right for me. I am a disabled veteran, and as such it is a struggle to figure out how to keep fit & active with my injury.

Anyway, in the mean time, I was trying to figure out how to become a part of the community here. I saw the 6-week challenge that started only yesterday and would love to participate, but to be hoenst, I am pretty overwhelmed by all of the information in the forums.

Where/how do I start? I read the info on the 6-week challenge post, but I am kind of confused.

Would anyone be willing to help a totally newbie learn the ropes and start her adventure?! :-D

Thanks to everyone who read & replied!!

• Like 2

I'm not actually partaking in the adventures or the challenges or whatnot, but use the forums as a very good information base.

What I did want to say is there are quite a few vets, and some active duty folks, on here as well.

Welcome to the madhouse. :D

• Like 1

To start a challenge:

Devise your goals as per the challenge info post.

Go to the Recruit section and make a thread to write those goals down to share them with the community.

Then, update said thread with your progress throughout the challenge. At the end, assess how you did and whether you met your goals.

It's really that simple. :) Reading through other people's challenges can help give you some ideas on goals, layout, grading, etc.  Some folks get elaborate with themes, an over arching story and fancy formatting. I tend to lean toward the simpler side of things.

Good luck and welcome! Definitely ask more questions as you have them.

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness only yesterday and have been reading articles and poking around. I love the site! I have thought about joining the Nerd Fitness Academy, but do not know if it would be right for me. I am a disabled veteran, and as such it is a struggle to figure out how to keep fit & active with my injury.

Anyway, in the mean time, I was trying to figure out how to become a part of the community here. I saw the 6-week challenge that started only yesterday and would love to participate, but to be hoenst, I am pretty overwhelmed by all of the information in the forums.

Where/how do I start? I read the info on the 6-week challenge post, but I am kind of confused.

Would anyone be willing to help a totally newbie learn the ropes and start her adventure?! :-D

Thanks to everyone who read & replied!!

Read the guide book from the recruits. And if you feel like it jump in! Recruits walks you through many aspects of Nerd Fitness (setting up smart goals, how to do the signatures, minichallenges) I had no clue what I was getting into when I started last challenge, but recruits helped me through it. There are a ton of people from other guilds that helps Blaidd (the head of the recruits group) 

It can be a little overwhelming, there is a ton of information on here, but choose 3 goals, and go from there. 

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Thanks for the replies! Going to the Recruit guild area helped a lot! I am about to post my "Challenge Thread". This is what I came up with. I left "?" in the Reward area as I am new to the whole Stat Points (I've played tons of games with them but have never came up with a rubric for myself lol), so if anyone has any suggested Reward points for each of my quests, they would be GREATLY appreciated! Any advice or suggestions at all are welcome! :) Here is my Challenge...if I did it right lol:

Introduction:  Hello! I am Taylor and this is my first challenge.  I am a disabled veteran and used to be very athletic. Now, trying to be active with my injury is very challenging. I feel confident that with the help of Nerd Fitness, I can achieve my goals and once again be happy, healthy, and fit. I currently am a full-time student and work 30hrs/week at a desk in front of a computer. I want to become toned and lean again, eat healthy, and get rid of this sedimentary life-style!

Main Quest:  Participate in and complete a Spartan Race. This is a goal I have had for well over a year, and it is a dream I want to keep chasing.

Quest 1: Walk for (at least) 10 minutes a day, 7 days a week.  This should be an easy starting place for me as I have a dog and I have to take him out everyday anyway. Now, instead of just going back inside after he does his business, I will make it a point to actually WALK with him. (He's a lazy chihuahua but could use the exercise too!) Also, even if I walk 20 mins one day, that does not mean I can skip the next day! (I had to throw that rule in there for myself lol.)

Measurement: A = 10 min for 40-42 days, B = 10min 35-39 days, C = 10min 30-34 days

Reward: ?

Quest 2: I recently joined a gym that will be opening it's doors in mid-January. I am very excited. Once the gym is open, I want to go 3-4 times per week. BONUS: The gym is VERY close to my home and I could easily ride my bike there. The BONUS will be if I ride my bike there and back 2 times per week, EVERY WEEK that I go. (I'll give myself the first week the gym is open as a freebie to get used to a routine.)

Measurement: A = 3-4 gym workouts weekly, B = 2 gym workouts weekly, C = 1 gym workout weekly (I will keep track of when I go, and at the end of the challenge I will use an average of gym workouts to determine my grade.)

BONUS Reward: ?

Quest 3: Start planning out my meals in advance and cooking at home. I am REALLY bad at getting junk food because it's fast and convenient. I REALLY want to start cooking at home so I eat healthier and save money. BONUS: I ALWAYS skip breakfast because I am too tired or lazy. If I eat something for breakfast (candy or left over pizza does not count lol) EVERY DAY during this challenge, I will get the BONUS for this quest. (I will begin this quest officially on 01/12/2015 as I am a little late to the challenge and I need to plan & buy food this weekend! :) )

Measurement: A = 0-10 meals out, B = 11-20 meals out, C = 21-30 meals out

BONUS Reward:?

Life Quest: Be diligent, set a plan, and do not procrastinate in my studies! By the end of the challenge, I should have A's in all of my classes. However, Accounting 2 is a very difficult course and I may have a B by the end of this challenge, we will see. I am taking four classes.

Measurement: A = All A's, B = 3 A's and 1 B, C = 2 A's and 2 B's

Motivation:  I want to be healthy so I can have and maintain a high-quality of life. As I am only 24, this injury will be with me for a long time. If I do not get in shape, it will only get worse. I want to take care of myself and be healthy, happy, and confident! :-D

The stat points are explained in the campus tour mini challenges in the recruit thread, I think around week 3, so don't worry about it before then. I think how to edit the signature line is also that week (or was last challenge not sure if it changes challenge to challenge)

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda