Forums are back in action! ×

Ready for Adventure

Hi all!

I'm really excited to spend 2015 focusing on health and fitness.  I've never been an athlete (always picked last in gym class, etc... I'm sure many of you can relate) but at various points I have been in fairly decent shape. Now that I'm in grad school (I'm getting a master's in environmental science), I spend a lot more time at the library than at the gym, and my weight is starting to creep up on me.

My goal is to treat fitness as something FUN. In the past I would go to the gym or go for a run like it was a chore. I liked having done it, but I didn't like doing it. The athletic-type things that I enjoyed doing (hiking, skiing) were either too expensive or required too much travel time. I briefly joined a CrossFit gym and LOVED it, but had to stop after a few months because it was too expensive. I just got a car of my own for the first time ever (at age 26!--before now I've always lived in big cities with extensive public transit), which paradoxically I think will help me with my health and fitness goals because it will make it easier to access fun fitness activities. With the car, I can now easily go hiking on weekends, head to the climbing gym, or go to the "real" grocery store to get fresh meat and veggies.

I also REALLY REALLY love cooking. I hope to exchange some tasty, healthy recipes with some of you!

Also, if anyone is familiar with southern Connecticut, I'd love some ideas for places to go hiking. I live in New Haven.  :)

Caprette

Level 0 Dryad

{STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0}

Current Challenge

Hi there,

Although I still haven't done nearly as many hikes since moving to CT as I would like, I do have a few hiking suggestions for you.  The closest to you, and also one of the better hikes I have done in CT is Sleeping Giant.  There is a stone tower at the top, and you get a really great view out over the water from up there.  Another good one on the southern half of the state is Devil's Hopyard.  The trails there aren't terribly difficult, but it has a scenic overlook that looks out over a valley that is pretty cool.  Also the waterfall is pretty great, especially if you hit it during spring.  Other than that, most of my suggestions would require going further north or west, but hopefully those will be a good start for you.

Current Challenge - ßean limps into the Assassins Guild Daily Battle Log - ßean's Daily Grind No Soda Challenge: 365 Days | Current: 175 Days (Updated 07/19/15)

47.95%
47.95%

Hi Bean! Thanks for the suggestions. Sleeping Giant was already pretty high on my list--back in September a few people from my program rode their bikes out there. I didn't go with them because it sounded too far for me to bike and then hike, but it sounded like fun. I haven't heard of Devil's Hopyard, so I will check it out!

Caprette

Level 0 Dryad

{STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0}

Current Challenge