Forums are back in action! ×

The 100 Most Influential People in Health and Fitness

It's troubling at best to see him on the same list as Dr. Oz, the Food Babe, and a whole other host of people that are associated with stuff like wholistic medicine, cleansing, detox and other non-scientific stuff...

That there is a whole bunch of good people on that list too, just makes it worse...sorry to be a downer...

PS: The list is a list of "influential" people, I know. This does not include any kind of "good/bad" influence thing, I realize, but still.

• Like 3

We the people need to make sure us and our friends are being influenced only by forces for good, and spread their word far and wide to combat the misinformation :) be the change! OK this is getting into bad motivational speech territory but that's one reason I will never be on one of these lists xD but we do need to make sure to set good examples of Steve acolytes and the more unhappy the starvation/detox fad people get, maybe they can find us and turn to a more effective way. Forward the rebellion ;D

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

I am happier about the fact that actual experts are included in the list, and it's not just all Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm actually surprised that some personalities who have their own special niches like Martin Rooney and Kelly Starrett (but no MacDougall, Tsatsouline, Rippetoe, Simmons, Thibaudeau, Enamait, Glassman, Jamieson, Shaul, etc) are in the list. Things seem to be looking better for the fitness industry.

Personally though I don't think I have anything against Dr. Oz or snake oil salesmen. They try to make money out of a product (i.e. hopes and dreams) that people are free to either purchase or not. Just another thing we have to deal with for having a free market and an unregulated supplement industry. The way I see it, if anyone is gullible and/or curious enough to buy these products, with or without research, economically the money can just be seen as a tax on the gullible/curious. Much like lottery tickets, where one is statistically much more likely to die in the process of purchasing the tickets than actually winning, and yet the people who host lotteries aren't really considered deceptive.

Besides, my aunt watches Dr. Oz and that's how I got her to look into the Paleo diet.

Yep, influential can be influential in a bad way.

Dr. Oz is in fact a "real" doctor (as in, he is licensed to practice medicine and I understand he still does do some cardiac surgery), though that doesn't make his shilling of unproven and unlikely to work supplements any better. There's no denying that he is influential, it's just unfortunate that he is.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

How on earth is Lyle McDonald not on that list?

The guy is the guru's guru. If Aragon and Norton make the list, McDonald absolutely has to.

Also, how on earth are Mike and Albert Lee not in the top 5/10, let alone even on the list? They founded myfitnesspal; their contribution absolutely blows away most of the list, myfitnesspal has a dominant position in the health/fitness industry.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

How on earth is Lyle McDonald not on that list?

The guy is the guru's guru. If Aragon and Norton make the list, McDonald absolutely has to.

Also, how on earth are Mike and Albert Lee not in the top 5/10, let alone even on the list? They founded myfitnesspal; their contribution absolutely blows away most of the list, myfitnesspal has a dominant position in the health/fitness industry.

The list is as political as it is fitness related.  How else could Michelle Obama be #1?  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Good call on the missing MFP guys, although i wouldn't have known their names.

Surprised Brad Pilon and Martin Berkhan are so low too.

There is a lot of fluff on that list but also a lot of people Steve should be proud to be among.

Would have thought Rippetoe and Mehdi might be on there too.

Sure she's had some influence, but to be #1?  C'mon.  She hasn't done that much.

She's pretty much the spearhead of the massive campaign against childhood obesity, which actually appears to be working to a degree. There's been a pretty big shift in the last 5-6 years in this area. With all the advertisements/public service announcements, she certainly has had the largest audience of anyone on the list.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

She's pretty much the spearhead of the massive campaign against childhood obesity, which actually appears to be working to a degree. There's been a pretty big shift in the last 5-6 years in this area. With all the advertisements/public service announcements, she certainly has had the largest audience of anyone on the list.

Let's just agree to disagree. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™