Forums are back in action! ×

what makes you a nerd?

Guest Snake McClain

awesome post (wrath of?) kahn

Indirectly. And further indication of my nerdiness....

Back in the mid-90s, I decided to get an @Yahoo.com address (which is still my main one) because ISPs were still in flux and I wanted a singular email address.

I spent about 30 minutes trying usernames, but all were taken....

In the background, the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy) started playing the Star Trek episode that introduced Kahn - Space Seed.

While kahn@yahoo.com was taken, I realized at that point, I needed to come up with something more unique because everything was taken. I remember my first Marvel Super Heroes character Guardian - his "Health" stat was 265 (F:In A:Mn S:Mn E:Mn) so I mashed it up and it worked - kahn265@yahoo.com

Since then I can be found on boards as either "kahn265" or "Rachael Storm" (Because of my City of Heroes character who was loosely based on Guardian).

Further nerdiness.

Wow, I love this thread!

I'm not actually smart enough to be a nerd, but consider myself a geek (duh!). This is due to many things, but I'll list a few:

1. I will watch just about any documentary.

2. I am a cartoon freak! Except, I don't watch anime.

3. I know what Invader Zim is, and I've seen every episode multiple times.

4. I have a Gir tattoo!

5. I'm obsessed with BBT.

6. I knew I found my geekmate within days of dating because we watched a documentary about cephalopods without speaking or blinking and it was the best night ever.

7. I collect old beat up hardcover books. The more worn the spine, the better. I specifically look for old library books...

8. My computer is pink with rhinestones because it was designed by a drag queen!!!!

9. I'm here!

And I'm sure there's much, much more...

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

it's funny. i grew up thinking of myself as a nerd because i did well in school and didn't fit in with the "cool kids" (ah, 4th grade). as i've gotten older, though, my friends have gotten nerdier and they now make fun of me for not being nerdy enough. i can't win! lol

ways i am not a nerd:

-was only into video games for a year (nes and tetris on gameboy...which i think still works)

-i don't "get" anime

-i haven't seen and don't care for much of the cult sci-fi out there (i've only seen a couple of the star wars movies and only a few episodes of star trek)

-i know know jack squat about computers/technology. i am the person that calls tech support because i can't figure out where the power button is.

-i don't stay up to date on politics like i should

-i don't read much for pleasure

ways i am a nerd:

-love to challenge my brain (crosswords are one of my favorites even though i suck at them)

-was in the colorguard in high school and part of college - band geek

-have seen weird al yankovich in concert 3 times (yeah, be jealous!)

-love love love ghostbusters 1 and 2 (don't you date hate on the sequel)

-read a book on feng shui in high school and now assess anywhere i plan to live by those standards

-i've become a sociology and real estate nerd over the years. i grab every "free information" brochure on a home for sale available and i'm endlessly fascinated by race/ethnic/religious/political issues and the people involved.

-i love musical theatre

-sarcastic and self-depricating sense of humor

-bascially, i just love hearing new ideas and love people who think for themselves

ways i am not a nerd:

-was only into video games for a year (nes and tetris on gameboy...which i think still works)

-i don't "get" anime

-i haven't seen and don't care for much of the cult sci-fi out there (i've only seen a couple of the star wars movies and only a few episodes of star trek)

-i know know jack squat about computers/technology. i am the person that calls tech support because i can't figure out where the power button is.

-i don't stay up to date on politics like i should

-i don't read much for pleasure

This list could have also been titled "ways Angela is not a nerd"

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Why am I a nerd? Oh good lord...

I was a member of the History Club in College

I used to be a band nerd, i played the trombone in middle school

I used to be president of the "Anime Club" in Highschool

I still watch anime from time to time.

For four years in a row I went to Anime Weekend Atlanta

I play Warhammer 40k

I read Warhammer 40k novels

I have seen every single Monty Python movie...multiple times.

I play lots and lots of video games mainly centered around FPS and RTS

I have built my own computer before

I have been known to quote internet meme's before

I joined the army and went into intelligence...basically one of the nerdiest stereotypes in the army

I have marched a platoon to the cadence of "Always look on the bright side of life"

I am friends with ebm1224...so that also qualifies me as a nerd

You want a workout? Sprinting to a bunker during a rocket attack is one helluva workout! :-D

This thread is cracking me up! I guess I will toss out my Nerd Creds:

1. I am the guy that shows ebm where the power button is located on the computer.

2. I married a women that DVRs Weird Al's concert on CC and I enjoyed watching it with her.

3. I have been able to share my love of comic book super heroes with my 6 year old daughter. (I haven't shared my comic books with her yet. I'm not crazy!)

4. I always cheer for the underdog.

5. Doctor WHO is awesome!

6. This is the only fitness group that I actually feel comfortable with.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Hmm what are my interests....

Been into Star Trek since I was tiny

Webcomics!

Books and books and books

Cosplaying (again, webcomics—also part of why I want to shape up)

International fairytales/folklore—my true love

There's probably more but these are the main ones. My username is short for The Vision, marvel superhero. He's not my favorite but I wanted to keep some anonymity. I'm no superhero know-it-all, i've only been reading comics for a couple of months

Man this doesn't make me sound too nerdy in comparison to some people...

HA, this is a great thread. My creds:

1. I was never popular in school, mostly because I was in all the AP/honors classes, a band geek (clarinet FTW!), and definitely not one of the pretty girls

2. I've loved computers since my dad got a family Acer back in 1994. I built my first website when I was 14.

3. I read A LOT. I used to read even more.

4. I read nonfiction books on astrophysics and neuroscience. Even though I don't have to.

5. Joss Whedon is my hero.

6. I love sci-fi shows and movies and Battlestar Galactica is my favorite TV show ever

7. I game (currently re-playing Starcraft II while I wait impatiently for the expansion to come out)

8. I have shown up to a midnight sale of a new Harry Potter book in costume

Ok, I think that last one seals the deal, actually, so I won't go on =)

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Guest Snake McClain

Hmm what are my interests....

Been into Star Trek since I was tiny

Webcomics!

Books and books and books

Cosplaying (again, webcomics—also part of why I want to shape up)

International fairytales/folklore—my true love

There's probably more but these are the main ones. My username is short for The Vision, marvel superhero. He's not my favorite but I wanted to keep some anonymity. I'm no superhero know-it-all, i've only been reading comics for a couple of months

Man this doesn't make me sound too nerdy in comparison to some people...

I think I just fell in love.

Only on this forum would you find a comment that makes it sound like someone doesn't feel nerdy enough :)

I am one of those people.

Yes! The band jokes, I loves them!

Man I play guitar and i only know five positions. :(