Forums are back in action! ×

5x5 Program Help?? Thanks in advance

Hey Guys;

Just signed up, I am a complete newb to the whole gym thing. I'm posting here because since starting the gym I have read loads of articles on the internet, most of which contradict each other and I'm kind of confused.

I am 22, 6ft tall and 145lbs so I'm pretty skinny. I have been going to the gym for a solid three days a week since October. I am doing a 5x5 program because I've heard its a good beginners program and builds strength and mass muscle. I have seen slight gains but nothing massive. I'm just worried I'm not training enough or the exercises aren't varied enough.

Here is my routine:

Tuesday:

Dumbbell Chest press 20kg in each hand 5x5

Bent over one-armed dumbbell rows 24kg 5x5

Standing military press 25kg barbell

14kg dumbbell curls 5x5

Friday:

Incline Dumbbell chest press 18kg in each hand 5x5

Bent over one-armed dumbbell row 24kg 5x5

Standing Military Press 25kg barbell

Standing Tricep extensions 14kg 5x5

Sunday:

Flat dumbbell chest press 20kg each hand 5x5

Bent over one-armed dumbbell row 24kg 5x5

Standing Military press 25kg barbell

Pull ups 2 sets to failure

I am starting to add push-ups and decline sit-ups.

I have gotten stronger from the time I have been going to the gym as when I first started I was struggling with 12.5kg dumbbells in each hand on the chest press. Likewise with the rows etc.

I am just worried because I see other guys training specific muscles on different days and they do like 3 exercises on their chest. I feel like I'm not doing enough but I am knackered  when I leave the gym.

So I guess long story short should I stick with what I am doing or switch it up to a different program? My plan was to get to lifting 30 kg on the chest press and then changing to a different routine?

I don't want to be massive or really ripped. Just strong and have not such skinny arms. Ideally Usain Bolt's size. I have attached a photo.

I know that diet is a big part and I am trying to eat more but I struggle what with work. I am eating about 2000 calories a day.

Finally I am not training my legs yet as I play a lot of football so they are a good size and not proportionate to my torso.

Thanks for taking the time to read this essay and any advice which you might have.

Cheers,

Jon

post-36389-0-70787300-1423509332_thumb.j

First, looking like Usain Bolt's gonna take more muscle than you think!

Second, 2,000 calories isn't enough for someone of your size to put on muscle.  You'll probably need closer to 2,500-3,000.  You were able to gain strength at the beginning because your first adaptations had more to do with your nervous system than the size of your muscles.  Now that you've been training for a few months, becoming stronger will increasingly rely on eating, resting, and growing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your program, minus the lack of leg exercises.  To get stronger/add muscle, you need to keep trying to progress the weight.  In order to do that, you need to give your body some building blocks in the form of calories.  You can add more exercises if you like, but they aren't the limiter right now: calories are.

• Like 2

So, a couple of things: guys in the gym doing three different exercises for the same muscle group are trying to get bigger.  Not necessarily for performance, but usually to look good.  Bodybuilders, in other words.  Not always true, but usually.  And that's not what you're aiming for.  Their goals are not yours.

For the bent over row, I recommend the Pendlay barbell row to work on your back.

To "bulk" your arms, you need to work both the bicep and the tricep - the tricep is actually 75% of your arm mass, if memory serves.  You don't want to build strength in your arms (per se), but you want some size and definition, so change your dumbbell bicep curl to: three sets of 12, until failure.  Throw in a tricep exercise - like a dumbbell tricep kickback, or a cable press-down, or even dumbbell skullcrushers.

EtA: I see you've got tricep extensions already added in.  Start doing your bicep curls and tricep extensions all three days.  Keep in mind, these are mostly vanity exercises.

And JPrev is absolutely right - doing squats will make your legs bigger, but they will also make you a lot stronger, which in turn produces better results on the athletic field.

Also - calories.  2,000 is what is recommended for the average male - you need to have an uptick in your protein, just as JPrev recommended.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot JPrev and TMedina! I just felt like I was wasting my time but at least I know I'm on the right tracks. I will take on board both of your comments. Just one last question with regards to the calories; Is there any natural weight gain products that you would recommend to be able to get the extra calories or am I better off just trying to eat a lot more? I try to eat clean foods like pasta, brown rice etc would it be bad to get extra calories from unhealthy foods or is that just stupid? Also I was looking into protein bars for added protein as I'm not hitting the amount people on the internet say I should be getting.

Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

• Like 1

Without a doubt, the best, most efficient, healthiest option is: food!

Really, just eat more.  Your body only wants a few things to build muscle: excess calories, carbs, and protein (no need to go crazy on protein; call it ~1g per lb of bodyweight), stimulus, and rest.  You can get those things however you like; ice cream is a favorite bulking food for some.  Eating "junk" food, whatever that term might mean to you, in moderation is fine.  Just don't let it crowd out all the other things you need: fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc.  Try to have some variety.

• Like 2