Forums are back in action! ×

Workout music and headphones

Stuff that's hard and fast. I'm using the earbuds that came with my Sony Walkman Mp3 player. They are the style where one side has a longer cord so you can wear it around the back and over the shoulder. I've found that when I'm lifting, this is the best way to wear it. When I run, I need to wear it in front.

The "finisher" track for my running playlist:

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

My workout soundtracks are all across the spectrum. Usually it's metal or hardcore, but I've had great workouts to ska, punk, neo-bluegrass, blues, anything. For me, it's more about a mood than rpms or whatever.

Lately I've been listening to more movie scores. The Dark Knight st? Like A Dog Chasing Cars? Oh, I've hit some really good lifts to that. :)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I can't say I'm a huge fan of metal and the like, but hey, might as well give it a go...

I did think about listening to some joe rogan podcasts (as a way to zone out when running, plus they're damn interesting) but my main problem is that if theres a song that I like playing, its damn hard for me not to sing along, and im not sure how well that would go down with anyone else who would be there...

I struggle with heavy metal because to me it just sounds like a wall of noise..

Progressive Rock/Metal is more my style... Two great bands that i can push myself to are Karnivool and Porcupine Tree

Here's Roquefort by Karnivool featuring the horns section from The Cat Empire, which i find to be quite epic :D

And Porcupine Tree's Shallow

I guess i'm lucky in that i've found music i like listening to that is also music i can work out to.

As for headphones, i like a lot of bass in my music, and i use the inner-ear style buds so that they don't fall out. If they do fall out, it means i'm working hard enough to sweat into my ears.

I just have a pair of skullcandy headphones that have lasted me a while and give decent quality for a decent price, considering what some real nice headphones set you back, i got a decent pair for 30-40 AUD.

Mitch S - Level 4 Scientist Adventurer

Wielding The Slightly Pointed Lute of Power and Dented Roman Helmet
STR :11 DEX :5 STA :7 CON :8.5 WIS :8 CHA :7
My first challenge : An Adventurer Underwater

My second challenge : Electric Boogaloo

Challenge Number 3 : On the Run
“Pray for rain all you like, but dig a well as you do it.†- Steven King The Dark Tower

Lately I've been listening to more movie scores. The Dark Knight st? Like A Dog Chasing Cars? Oh, I've hit some really good lifts to that. :)

I've been trialing this as well, Lord of the Ring's Uruk'hai theme is pretty good and i've discovered a new love for Daft Punk's Tron Legacy OST.

Mitch S - Level 4 Scientist Adventurer

Wielding The Slightly Pointed Lute of Power and Dented Roman Helmet
STR :11 DEX :5 STA :7 CON :8.5 WIS :8 CHA :7
My first challenge : An Adventurer Underwater

My second challenge : Electric Boogaloo

Challenge Number 3 : On the Run
“Pray for rain all you like, but dig a well as you do it.†- Steven King The Dark Tower

I'll probably catch some flak for this (puts flak jacket on*) but I'm a huge fan of D&B and dubstep and all sorts of electronic nonsense. I'll listen to rock and metal and stuff too, but really I just need the deep deep bass to get me going.

Generally, anything that would cause a mosh pit if occuring anywhere besides between my ears.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I have an irish punk pandora station Dropkick murphys flogging molly etc great for working out or having guinness ( though only once a week at most) :) when doing intervals i go with euro pop or techno (yah its a guilty peasure )

Lv 1 Half-Orc Adventurer

Str 3 | Dex 2 | Sta 3 | Con 2 | Wis 3 | Cha 2

As for headphones, I went out and bought one of the cordless Sony Walkman units and absolutely love it! No cords to get tangled, easy to operate, and it's only $50 instead of $150 for an iPod. I did a review on my website here: 51feetunder.wordpress.com Cheers

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I have to be subjected to the gym music when I work with my trainer, otherwise I bring my ipod. Yesterday they played "Everybody Dance Now" (not sure if that's the actual name, but...) Really. They did that. Sometimes I think that I need to anonomously drop some CDs off at the desk.

As far as music for me. I'm all over the place as far as genres... good beats, fast paced, and if they have some strong "I'm gonna kick your ass" lyrics, that's a bonus.

Guest Carjack

I don't have a portable player, so when I go in the gym I get bombarded by love songs and emo. If I'm lucky they'll be playing metal or any uplifting classic rock in the back room and my head won't feel like it's going to explode.

When I can actually choose what I work out to, it's old classic video game music. It's unorthodox, but it works for me.

I don't have a portable player, so when I go in the gym I get bombarded by love songs and emo. If I'm lucky they'll be playing metal or any uplifting classic rock in the back room and my head won't feel like it's going to explode.

When I can actually choose what I work out to, it's old classic video game music. It's unorthodox, but it works for me.

as soon as you said that all I could hear in my head was the theme from Bionic Commando for the NES!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I tend to listen to alt rock, its up beat and keeps me going. When I really want to start quitting I have 2 go tos. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger and if I am still not done my workout (say when I'm doing 5k) and REALLY want to finish no matter the cost (usually need a rest day after this), I go with Flirtin' with Disaster by Molly Hatchet. I had to finish my 5k on the treadmill the other day running at 5.6, and I put that on, pumped it to 7.5, and ran like hell for 2 minutes. Surprised the crap outta myself that I didn't fall off the treadmill, I never go that fast.

Edit:

this will sound stupid but is there a strap for an mp3 player that exists i can use to like...strap to me? i've been using duct tape. lol.

As for this, my wife has this thing that looks like a fanny pack, but its all elastic and the pocket expands form nothing to huge depending on what she puts in there. The elastic stops it from bouncing as you move. I have an iPod arm band, but I don't like to use it because the music is hard to control with it and when I reach across my chest to push buttons, it restricts my breathing as I run.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Followers of the Strength Squad thread know I did a stupid workout yesterday that was way outside my comfort zone. Here was the playlist for that silly little adventure. You may notice an.. escalation of intensity coinciding with the workout in question. There was some skipping so it mostly fit.

"..If your decisions include regret then it's already too late."

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs