Forums are back in action! ×

Ha, so I tried to think of some eye-catching video game reference for the title of this thread, but nothing was coming to mind.

Hey everyone! My name is Theresa and I am very much interested in joining a community and having support for my strength and fitness related goals! I am 20 years old and a senior, going to graduate in May 2012, at a university in eastern North Carolina.

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled upon this website, but somehow I found Spezzy's story. She is an absolute inspiration to hit the heavy weights - which is one of my goals to reach next semester.

A little history: two summers ago I did P90X for about 80 days but got absolutely burnt out and could not finish. It definitely got me into the best shape I'd ever been in (I've never played a sport or done anything remotely physical in my life) and I am extremely grateful for it. After the program, I continued a variation of exercises in my apartment's fitness center and was happy with my maintained results and continued progress. Unfortunately, in October of 2010, school got me extremely depressed and stressed out and I ended up stopping my workouts entirely and was eating emotionally. So I packed thirty pounds onto my 5'5'' medium sized frame.

I have not yet been able to lose the thirty pounds that I gained. Granted, I haven't really been trying to lose the weight until about July of this year. I have been trying to severely clean up my diet (paleo/primal: no dairy, some starchy tubers) and I am just starting some body weight exercises. I am also two weeks into the "couch to 5k" program (I am training for the Krispy Kreme Challenge in February).

Steve's articles have I guess finally ingrained it into my head that goals need to be S.M.A.R.T. I used to just think that was a silly waste of time whenever I learned about making SMART goals in school, but now I think I finally get it. Break up the goal into bite-sized, attackable and manageable pieces. Track everything and progress every week. I think I understand the fundamentals, so now to put it in place:

Currently my routine is taken nearly straight from Steve's Beginner Body Weight Routine:

- Circuit of squats, push-ups, lunges, rows, chin-ups, planks, and jumping jacks.

- Complete three sets of the circuit with two minute breaks in between sets.

I just finished my first one this morning :D

So on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I do my couch to 5k run. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are going to be this Beginner Body Weight workout. Sundays I walk for an hour and really focus on flexibility/mobility afterward.

I plan on either upping reps or changing the exercise to make them more intense every week in order to keep progressing.

Next semester, when I am taking way less credit hours, I am going to start hitting the gym to do deadlifts and squats, and I'm going to cut way down on the running (still going to keep sprints, though). I need to try and focus more on getting STRONGER and stop focusing so much on my weight. Although I definitely want to lose the fat I packed on, I need to stop focusing so much on that scale number.

So, any other college students out there? How about people doing bodyweight stuff? Anyone else in eastern North Carolina?

Oh, and I just thought I'd mention my favorite video games/series:

Metal Gear Solid series, Grand Theft Auto series, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Brothers on the N64

I am very excited to start reaching my goals and getting back to a healthier me! :D

Theresa

Two important questions to ask yourself every week:

Did I run faster and farther this week than I did last week?

Can I lift more weight and do more repetitions that I did last week?

My Quest for Functional Fitness and Health

My Fitocracy

My Tumblr

Hey Theresa, welcome to the forum.

It looks like you have done your homework and are ready to get into action. I have been doing primarily bodyweight exercises and running since I have joined up here and I have found a lot of great information in the forum. I think selecting goals that have meaning for you and are manageable are very important for your success and I think you are on the right track. Remember to also have fun goals and rest times to keep yourself in the game. I know for me college was the absolute worst time for my health. I had too many other things to distract me. Now I fight high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a high BMI. This year I have started to take back control of my health and I am glad to see a young person realizing the importance of their health and working on it before it gets away from them.

You will find a great group of people here from all walks of life ready to encourage you and support you in your journey to conquer your challenges.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Thanks guys! See, this is exactly what I love about this website/forum; everyone is so supportive and encouraging :)

I think soon I will post my workout log. It will be great to hear advice and suggestions from more knowledgeable people.

Theresa

Two important questions to ask yourself every week:

Did I run faster and farther this week than I did last week?

Can I lift more weight and do more repetitions that I did last week?

My Quest for Functional Fitness and Health

My Fitocracy

My Tumblr