Forums are back in action! ×

Hi,

I'm Ithil, I'm 24 and currently working on my master's thesis. I used to play soccer and run long distance in high school but it all ended during one day when during a soccer game an opponent stepped on my ankle twisting it and it tore most of the ligaments in my ankle. I wasn't given a good prognosis if I'd gone to surgery so with 1,5 years of physiotherapy it recovered so that I was able to walk but re-twisted it countless of times each year and needed crutches anywhere between 5-10+ times per year for many weeks. Three years back (six years since the injury) I decided that it was too much and I was suffering while the ankle controlled my life undergoing the surgery. Thanks to my great surgeon after a year of physiotherapy I walk normally now, only bad thing is that since there originally were ripped nerves too when the injury happened there's permanent nerve damage. Last year I hurt my other ankle+shoulder both of which need now physiotherapy but are recovered in a place where I've consulted doctors and all sort of exercise is okay unless it involves heavy weights or is a contact sport, any activity also isn't allowed to cause pain. I still need weekly physiotherapy for the shoulder but on other days exercises are okay.

There's though another health twist: I have an autoimmune+a nerve pain issue on my face+a couple of more conditions causing chronic pain so I'm basically on scale 0-10 in level 5 pain in any given moment. This makes it bit different for me to exercise: all is okay uness it makes my pain go higher than the normal level I'm on, this means I have to assess if the pain I feel for example in my leg is my normal type of pain or if it's a sign of a coming injury. I hope this doesn't sound too weird, sometimes explaining chronic pain can be bit tricky as I'm so used to having my pain in anywhere between 5-10 so I can't see it as an abnormality. Pain though isn't with my conditions a sign of damage, it's just a sign that my pain system itself doesn't function normally so as long as I make sure that there's no extra pain when moving all is fine.

The reason why I signed in Nerd Fitness was that I want to exercise more and start running again for the first time since the first injury. It scares me a lot since it's eight or nine years since that. I need to ease my body slowly into that as my calves have been a problem when trying short stints of running. I also enjoy walking and exercise biking but finding a suitable workout routine is in process too. I'm interested in yoga or other similar things but I'm not a group exercise person so going to a class is a really spooky idea, I don't know what to do with that. I also want to start eating healthier.

I'm eager to know any kind of new people and obtain people to help with my journey, especially valuable would be any kind of support from other people whose exercise is made difficult by pain or a physical condition. I though value all sort of support and tips so don't be silent just because you don't have any health issues yourself. Also I'm a lot more than my health situation, it's just quite critical backgroud to explain why my exercises need to be bit different. I have a lot of other things (like 5 pets, a fiancé and my studies) in my live so my health is just a teeny part of it so don't let it scare you away, I won't bite!

LV 2 Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 7 | CON: 8 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Challenges: 1, 2

Running/biking 30-60 min: 0/12

0%
0%

Yoga or flexibility practice: 0/15

0%
0%

Physiotherapy sessions: 6/96

6%
6%

1 h reading: 3/42

7%
7%

Welcome and good luck with everything. I don't have a lot of advice on the injury side of things but I'm sure someone will chime in. :)

• Like 1

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Hello, hello! Welcome to the Rebellion. I'm sorry you had so many injuries happen to you, and I admire that you are dealing with them so well, without giving up!

I wanted to say, I am also interested in learning yoga, but hate gym classes. Then I found this website: DoYogaWithMe.com

It's like having a very patient yogi you can carry in your pocket (on your phone). Just find a routine that appeals to you, and watch the instructor to find out how its done. No gym classes necessary!

• Like 1

Hello, hello! Welcome to the Rebellion. I'm sorry you had so many injuries happen to you, and I admire that you are dealing with them so well, without giving up!

I wanted to say, I am also interested in learning yoga, but hate gym classes. Then I found this website: DoYogaWithMe.com

It's like having a very patient yogi you can carry in your pocket (on your phone). Just find a routine that appeals to you, and watch the instructor to find out how its done. No gym classes necessary!

Thanks! Giving up isn't an option, during recovery sitting on the couch was necessary but that quite fast becomes boring. I can either wallow in pain or try to live my life as normally as I can and somehow the latter alternative sounds better.

The yoga link is great, I hate gym classes (but not gyms in general, I find training in there relaxing) but really want to try it. Thanks for linking it, I'll definitely try it!

• Like 1

LV 2 Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 7 | CON: 8 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Challenges: 1, 2

Running/biking 30-60 min: 0/12

0%
0%

Yoga or flexibility practice: 0/15

0%
0%

Physiotherapy sessions: 6/96

6%