Forums are back in action! ×

Camping? In a Tent? o_O

A fire is essential to the experience, but we always cook off of a camp stove, it's just a lot easier. MN doesn't allow gathering firewood and the stuff they sell for wood is more like kindling, so try to buy some wood from a local just outside the park (there'll be signs in someone's driveway). A hatchet to make kindling is a good idea.

Yeah my dad has this little propane stove he said I could borrow. It is, however, older than I am so that makes me a bit leery. thanks for the firewood tip!

Ok, I had to update this thread. Not sure if I should change my plans. I had budgeted $500 for this excursion from my tax return. Well January my Grandpa (really a father figure) was diagnosed with Mesothelioma and passed away last Friday. At the same time, I had some crazy 21 day digestive issue that resulted in quite a few medical bills. I burned through 7 days of PTO.

I think I need this vacation for me. But with all that's going on, I also think the safe route would be to not take this trip. So... I don't know...

Even if you are not going on your trip, it doesn't hurt to get familiar with the art of camping. And yoy can do that for next to nothing in your backyard or on a local camping. If you get used to the idea of sleeping outdoors it's a lot easier to just pick up your stuf and go!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matthijs, level 1 assassin

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Love camping. I usually try and get out at least once a year, no matter if it is a 4 hour drive to the mountains to camp next to a babbling brook, BTW you need to pee a lot when camping next to a babbling brook, or just down the road at a state park near me.

It is something that I think everyone should do at least once in their life. My new Girlfriend has never camped which surprises me since she loves the outdoors so much. So this spring I am taking her to the local state park, setting up the site and letting her experience it. The nice thing is there is civilization 5 minutes away from the campground so anything she decides she needs she can go get.

OMG take me with you! The hubster is NOT into camping..and I still want to do a backpacking trip someday...

EDIT: Just saw post about your grandfather. I am so sorry to hear :(

Camping is definitely a cheap option for a vaca...and if you crave that alone time it would be especially good. If you're concerned about cost then I would just cut the trip a little shorter than you had planned.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

So I reserved my campsite. August 5th - August 9th for better or worse I will be camping at Goosberry State Park. As a weird turn of events, my boyfriend will be joining me. <-- not sure how I feel about the circumstances involved in THAT one there.

Health problems be damned I am going to keep to my plans!

Husband and I backpack/whitewater raft/camp quite a bit. Pack sweats if you're near water, can get chilly. Hobo packs to throw on the fire are fun and super easy. Just google recipes. We also get a box of wine and remove the box, just bring the plastic holding the wine for some relaxation...mmm redneck style:)

Just make sure to put leftover food somewhere far away or up in the trees if your area has bears. Also, sleep with a knife in the tent. Bring some newspapers in case difficulty starting a fire-had to be creative w toilet paper once.

I'm sorry to hear...

just keep on trucking...

I love camping. I worked as a park attendent while in college. I got some new gear last year in hopes to get my sons interested in camping. We have had some test runs in the back yard. We have had a mixture of successes and failures. I am over a hundred pounds heavier now and almost 15 years older than when I was really doing it on a regular basis so I need an air mattress now. Fires are nothing. If it is a camping site then it may have a fire pit else you can build one in no time. They have these little starter logs for camping if you are too worried about getting it started.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

Husband and I backpack/whitewater raft/camp quite a bit. Pack sweats if you're near water, can get chilly. Hobo packs to throw on the fire are fun and super easy. Just google recipes. We also get a box of wine and remove the box, just bring the plastic holding the wine for some relaxation...mmm redneck style:)

Just make sure to put leftover food somewhere far away or up in the trees if your area has bears. Also, sleep with a knife in the tent. Bring some newspapers in case difficulty starting a fire-had to be creative w toilet paper once.

I'm sorry to hear...

Awesome advice, thanks! I'm a litle nervous about including the BF in my plans. We have wildly different ideas on "vacation" and "eating habits." Also I think he'd rather be in a hotel but it's too late for that. =P

Vacation plans are in jeopardy... have to find a creative way to let work allow me to take the extra time off since I used too much PTO so far this year also I had to use savings for an emergency. I am interviewing for a new job on Monday though... maybe they would allow me to take the vacation.

Working on selling all my old plus sized clothes and random junk I don't need for some funds. I also have some skills I might be able to monetize.

Yes, I like camping and have done a lot of it. Haven't been much lately because all my time lately is taken up with volunteering, mostly on weekends, which makes it difficult to get away.

There is a great organization called the Minnesota Rovers which I've been a member of for several years. I've been to the Boundary Waters with them and also to various other locations for camping and day trips. The group mostly does activities in MN, but also regionally and even further away. As an out of towner, membership is $10/year and I highly recommend it. Check out the activities page and you can see they do all kinds of outdoor activities all throughout the year. It's a really good way to do some fun outdoor stuff, especially when your significant other isn't really into that (mine isn't either.)

As mentioned previously, May can be quite cold in northern MN. A few years ago I was camping in the Boundary Waters the weekend before Memorial Day, and we were snowed on. To add insult to injury, there were wildfires in the area, so there was a total ban on campfires! Talk about cold, wet and miserable ...

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

When I lived in Minnesota (25 years of it), I often took my kids - and occasionally my then-spouse - camping in the state parks.

I just wanted to mention that state park camping, in MN, is pretty darned wonderful. No need to feel afraid of being "alone" there... camping people tend to look out for each other, and are friendly (for the most part).

I was a "purist" camper... in other words, I cooked over the camp fire. I had all my cast iron gear, and my campfire coffee percolator, and could whip up amazing gourmet meals (this was how I got the ex to go camping with me). I also, at that time, slept ON THE GROUND.

Now, when I go camping with my current (last, best) spouse, we take an air mattress, and real bedding. Yes, I sleep in sheets and blankets! Makes for a much better camping experience ~at my age~. Unfortunately, we don't camp often, due to some life issues. But, I can see it happening again! :)

Have fun... try a weekend a few times to get ready for the long trip...

I also, at that time, slept ON THE GROUND.

I was just coming here to post something along the lines of "Camp Paleo!"

I try to camp at least 5-6 times a year during the summer and usually once or twice during the wintertime just to mix it up. It's absolutely one of my favorite things to do particularly if you can find a good spot near some water.

As someone else said I wouldn't be too worried about feeling lonely if you're going to do a State Park. It's almost expected to have your neighbors drop by your fire particularly if you/they can hear the loud laughter that comes along with a fireside drink-fest.

If your job ends up presenting problems why not try an over-nighter near your home? Even if it's just one night you'll get some experience setting up camp and getting a fire going (much easier than it sounds, if all else fails just keep blowing on it, it WILL eventually get going).

If your area isn't too cold or you have a good heavy sleeping bag I'd totally suggest sleeping outside. There is nothing cooler than watching the stars move all night.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

~ Winston Churchill ~

LEVEL 1 HUME ADVENTURER

STR: 1 (+1) | DEX: 2 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 (+2) | CHA: 3

My Blog: All I Want For Christmas is Traps

Challenge: Josh Versus The Baboon Belly