Forums are back in action! ×

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit

I am very much like a hobbit--except in my body build!  I like comfort, 2nd (and 3rd!) breakfasts, lots of nice people around me and not much adventure in my life.  I am 43 years old, and the mother of 3 really awesome nerdlets, as well as the unofficial mom of 5 more (2 of them live with us full time, the others are here 80% of the time--I am not exaggerating this!).  I don't look very overweight, because I was blessed with an amazon build--I am 5'10 with extremely long legs, which make it almost impossible to find pants that fit!  However, I have been steadily gaining weight for the last 10 years, mostly because of my sedentary life choices--(I have always hated exercise) and my complete lack of will power where sugar is involved. 

Last fall, several things changed in my life.  I changed from home-schooling my two oldest children when they chose to enroll in an awesome Vocational High School in a town about 30 minutes away.  I also teach an early morning scripture study class for teens in my home, so it made sense for me to drive my 3 (2 biological + the extra one who lives with us) and their 3 friends to school in the morning--and one of the other moms usually picks them up.  In October, my sweet husband asked if I might want to join the YMCA in the town their school is located in (I wasn't aware that there WAS a "Y" in that town!) , but I checked it out, and it was a perfect fit for me!

The reason it was so perfect is a little odd--I love it because it is pretty old, a bit shabby and not really "gym-like"!  In another nearby town, they have a brand spanking new "Y", filled with  lots of very daunting equipment, and busy, physically fit, really intimidating people!  MY "Y" has nice equipment, but a much more laid back attitude, and most of the people who are exercising at the same time I am are very old guys, who don't intimidate me at all!  So, I started, very gently, to exercise a bit (I drop the kids off at school and drive over, so I have a nice habit pattern!). 

I began with doing an 8 minute walk on the treadmill (which has an automatic 2 minute cooldown, so I only spent 10 minutes).  Then, I joined the M-W-F "Aquadance" class, which is filled with old ladies (I am by far the youngest class mate!).  However, it is a nice stretch, and a good workout which is fun and enjoyable, and since I am in the water--nobody can tell how terrible I am at the dance steps!  (I am getting better all the time, though!).  I also joined the T-Th Qi Gong class, where I am also the youngest. Then I met with a trainer, and started using the machines.  I haven't lost any weight, but I am getting stronger, and (best of all!), my hips, neck and back don't hurt, and I am actually enjoying and looking forward to the exercising!

I still only spend between 8-10 minutes on the treadmill, but I listen to music and put a little bit of dancing into it and I never do the same exact thing--I vary the speed and the incline, so it isn't just "same old, same old", which I am discovering is DEATH for me!  I like the freedom of not "HAVING" to do a certain routine--if I am busy or just not in the mood, I will do something different, but I do SOMETHING ACTIVE every day. 

I found Nerd Fitness around the same time, but I have been putting off joining, both for financial and emotional reasons--it takes me a long time to decide!  But, I think it really is a perfect fit, and I joined officially on Monday, and have done enough quests to get to level 2!

My biggest motivation for fitness is not losing weight, or eating better, even though I know both of those things will bless my life.  The biggest reason is I need to strengthen my core and my arms, because my youngest child has pretty severe Special Needs, and has to be carried a lot, and I want to be strong enough to help her without hurting myself.  However, the way I see it, there really isn't a downside to this adventure! 

• Like 1

Aquadance sounds adorkably fun. Water has a nice way of supporting weary joints without giving you anything to tangle up in / crash into.

Have you heard of the "Walking to Mordor" challenge? If you're on a treadmill and a LOTR fan you should def check it out.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.