Forums are back in action! ×

Well, I'm excited to finally find a community of nerds with serious fitness goals and looking forward to sharing my progress with you and helping to support yours as well. A little background:

I grew up outside Philly, went to Drexel University, and currently have a B.S. in mechanical Engineering. Working on my Masters at Stevens Institute of Technology part time while I work.

In highschool I played football and was in shape, weighing in at around 205. Between not being active through college and working at DQ part time after senior year, I was 265 by the time I graduated. By cutting out fast food and soda and cooking every night (my wife really), i dropped down to 253. I wanted to get fit and tried the 4-hour body low carb diet and took up running and actually had success and got down into the low 230's, but that diet wasn't sustainable and I got busy with the wedding and gained everything back. I'm now 251 again.

So, my new diet is going to be almost pure paleo for breakfast and lunch and whatever my wife cooks for dinner, where she will try to keep carbs to a minimum. I'm going to focus on gaining muscle and strength as I actually enjoy weight lifting (not so much running), with short runs interspersed where I can. I'm starting with the stronglifts 5x5 program and going from there.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

word up, coreyd! welcome to the forums - sounds like you've got a really clear idea of how you're going to tackle this thing, which is awesome. excited to see how you do :)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Thanks for the support guys! I have a wedding in 3 weeks to go to, so I'll probably update a little before that and once a month from there.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf