Forums are back in action! ×

Klara Kim enters the room.

Hi folks! 

I'm a long-time reader of Nerd Fitness (4 or 5 years!), but haven't really participated into the community. I'm currently coming out the other side of a massive reboot of my life (ending a nearly decade long relationship; loss of my home business; loss of, well, my home and lifestyle; and the pit of depression that followed) and I decided since everything else in my life had changed, perhaps I'd look at how I approached my fitness.

Where am I starting? I'm 35, I'd call my RP race a gnome--I'm 5 foot tall, and within the average weight for my height--though on the high end of that, but not very strong or enduring. I eat pretty healthily. I was a pescetarian for almost 10 years, and while I've recently introduced some land and air meat back into my diet, I still lean toward plant protein and seafood most of the time. I don't really care for sweets, I don't drink soda, but I do have a weakness for cheesy cracker things (like Goldfish, Cheeze-its, and Cheetohs), which I combat by not keeping in the house*.  Most of my past fitness has been urban walking. I recently sold my car, so now I walk all over to get my errands done.

Where do I want to go? I'm looking to build long-distance stamina. I love walking, and can do it forever, but getting to some of the locations I want to can take hours. Lately, I've started walking/jogging intervals. I discovered a route near my house to a park I love (but is too far to walk without clearing my schedule), is just about a perfect 5k length. So right now I have the single goal of being able to jog the whole 5k. After I achieve that, I'll set the next goal.

My new beau (henceforth "the Gryffindor") is a hiking and canoeing enthusiast. I'm hoping that increasing my strength will also help me keep up with him when we go on the trails ^_^

Nerd-wise, I'm a second generation gamer. My father had his Atari 2600 and his NES, and in his retirement wrote scripts and bought a massive Alienware computer and became world champion for a Facebook game. Yes, I am serious, and he not only got the title, I believe he been holding it for a couple of years. Me, I was playing that Atari as soon as I could hold the controller, and grew up on the S/NES. The last console I played with any regularity was my PS2, but that's mostly because the MMO City of Heroes (RIP) consumed my life for a few years. I haven't found another consuming MMO since, and because I know I'm my father's daughter, I've been trying to avoid them--some people can play MMOs responsibly, but I'm not one of them XD

Meanwhile, I've been playing table-top games since I was 12, and I'm currently in 3 ongoing TT games, and I play in and help run a Steampunk Live Action RP in my city of Seattle. I love Harry Potter and Doctor Who. Most of my reading these days tends to be self-help books (re: depression, rebooting), but enjoy my fantasy novels, too.

I've been a speculative fiction writer for a long, long time, but it got put on the wayside the last several years due to Life Happening. As I've shut down my previous home business (in fiber arts--I'm also an avid knitter/spinner/dyer), I've put writing back in the forefront of my professional ambitions.

And... I think that was quite long-winded enough :) Hi! 

*Sometimes my friends bring cheesy crackers to game night because they know I like them, and that way I can have some, but access to all of it.

• Like 3

Current Goal: Be able to jog a continuous 5k 

Daily Battle Log

Klara goes the Distance - My first 6 Week Challenge (in progress)

@klarakimstories

Thanks! Since I came in half-way through the current Challenge, I figured I'd join in on the next one, setting goals based on where I am by then. I have been stalking the Scout board a bit, although I figure I'll be in the Recruits first ^_^

Daily Battle Log

@klarakimstories

Welcome Klara! Life reboots can be an amazing thing, even if the circumstances that caused them are usually difficult. I hope you find lots of encouragement here - so far it seems like a great community for support in all things. 

I too have a weakness for cheesy cracker things (I will devour a whole bag of cheez-its if left unattended with them hahaha) so I've been looking into less junky alternatives. If cheese can still be a part of your diet, it looks like you can bake cheese (either pre-shreded or from a block) into little crisps that could work as a chip/cracker substitute. (Like this recipe.) I actually did this once when I was eating a ketogenic based diet, and I made a taco shell out of cheese! Pure protein cheesy goodness. The technique for making the crisp crispy and not mushy takes a bit of fiddling though. 

Although I am allergic to running myself (eventually I will work on this) I admire your goal and I think that is awesome that you want to run a 5k. That fact that you have a route nearby to practice on is fantastic. :D

I am just getting into table top gaming myself, my brother is part of a pathfinder group I'm thinking of joining. Steampunk liveaction RPing sounds like SO MUCH fun though! When I'm at Emerald City Comicon each year I see groups of Steampunk RPers, and I'm always in awe of their outfits etc. 

Anyway, welcome to nerdfitness! I hope you find what you are looking for here. 

Thanks so much for the encouragement and tips on cheesy crackers, Kath! ^_^ 

I don't really want to run a 5k (marathon), per se, as just to run 5k. Although I'm very tempted by the Beat the Blerch 10k later this year....

(The Gryffindor tried to entice me into Warrior Dash this summer, but we'll be abroad when it happens. Alas!)

If you live near Seattle or Kitsap County, I can get you information the Steampunk LARP. I suspect the Steampunkers you see at ECCC (particularly the ones on stilts) are friends/acquaintances. Me and the Gryffindor may get to ECCC next weekend, but we don't have tickets, so we'll just be hanging out outside and admiring costumes XD

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log

@klarakimstories

I totally understand, just running 5k itself would be an awesome accomplishment. And omg, the blerch, I've never heard of that - and it looks hilarious. The comic that inspired it is on point and a great inspiration at the same time. I AM THE BLERCH haha. I have heard of warrior dash! I want to do that myself as a far-off goal, don't think I'm in shape enough to go jumping over fire quite yet. ;)

I live in Snohomish County, & don't know if I could dedicate myself to a LARPing group right now, but I would love some info on it. Maybe I could join you guys in the future! :D

The comic has definitely been part of my inspiration to try running after being a devout walker. I definitely would need to train for Warrior Dash. I'm a big wimp and running won't do much for my arm strength no matter how fast or far I got ;)

The Seattle LARP is monthly (second Saturday). Here is our Facebook page. (As a note, "Klara Kim" is not my legal name, if you decide to come to a game, PM me and we'll get it sorted :) )

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log

@klarakimstories