Forums are back in action! ×

What made you smite today?

8 hours ago, Raincloak said:

in recent smite news, I had another anxiety/rumination attack at work and ended up leaving early.  My brain's self hatred is really starting to piss me off.  I'm trying to have a life here, this shouldn't be that hard.

:(  

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I'm tired of thinking that something is wrong with me because people don't understand what I'm saying; case in point for whatever reason the dock level of my building is locked down, if you work here in the building you can swipe and put in a four digit code to get in, however if you don't work for our building you can just swipe in and get let in, no one seems to understand why I'm a little bit peeved about that.

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

1 hour ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

I'm tired of thinking that something is wrong with me because people don't understand what I'm saying; case in point for whatever reason the dock level of my building is locked down, if you work here in the building you can swipe and put in a four digit code to get in, however if you don't work for our building you can just swipe in and get let in, no one seems to understand why I'm a little bit peeved about that.

That's just stupidity.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

My smite today is reserved for the "mayor" of the English Village I work at, and for one of the professors at the uni as well. A new, incredibly sweet friend of mine applied for a job at this place on my recommendation, got hired, and was really psyched to start work...and on her first day, the mayor pulled her aside to tell her that her (opaque, unpatterned, navy blue) tights were apparently too risque for work, which makes NO sense because most of the female staff regularly wears above the knee skirts with no tights, pantyhose, or crazy socks and tights, or skinny pants or leggings, and most of us have piercings and flashy jewelry and in my case half-dyed bright red hair, so I have no idea what the mayor was on about with her. She felt really discouraged after that, especially since today was pretty dead due to it still being spring break, so she felt like she couldn't show off how good she is at the job to cancel out getting lectured by the mayor. And then this professor, who is really condescending to anyone until they impress him (like, he kept talking about how none of us could get his taste in music or movies since we're all just kiddos...um, I have a master's in popular music studies and grew up listening to every and any kind of music and watching more movies than I probably should have, I do indeed know who the Rolling Stones are, jeez), and even more so to the "young" women. So of course today my friend was the only woman on staff who wasn't a full-timer, so he was REALLY condescending towards her, and it just gave her an overall bad impression and she's already saying if things don't get better, she's leaving in June when her trial contract is up. I love this job so, so much, and it's a perfect fit for her, and I just want to scream at the mayor and this professor for making her feel so down on her first day. SMITE. SO MUCH SMITE.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

The guy is probably just the "Mayor" in title only

"Jack I'm only an elected official, I can't make decisions by myself!"

She's not even that, she just came up with the concept of the English Village on campus so that's what we call her. Which, sadly, means she has far more power than the Mayor of Halloweentown :( Same fashion sense, though!

On 4/4/2017 at 4:48 PM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Sounds just like a control to ensure  folks who usually dont have a need to be in the building cannot enter without being "checked" first by whoever lets them in. (i.e. they dont have the pin, so they must ask) The badging just creates a log entry to document that they (well.. the card) entered the building, which prolly goes hand in hand with cctv cameras being in place in the area. 

Makes sense in theory.. of course kinda looses value if whoever lets them in doesnt really check who they let in. (.. whichof course happens all the time... so totally understand the facepalming this triggers)

... wow... I am actually starting to bore myself... jeez... time for lunch...

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

1 hour ago, Luds said:

Sounds just like a control to ensure  folks who usually dont have a need to be in the building cannot enter without being "checked" first by whoever lets them in. (i.e. they dont have the pin, so they must ask) The badging just creates a log entry to document that they (well.. the card) entered the building, which prolly goes hand in hand with cctv cameras being in place in the area. 

Makes sense in theory.. of course kinda looses value if whoever lets them in doesnt really check who they let in. (.. whichof course happens all the time... so totally understand the facepalming this triggers)

... wow... I am actually starting to bore myself... jeez... time for lunch...

Sounds to me like nobody is letting them in - they just swipe and walk in. While the people who are supposed to be in the building have to swipe and enter a pin before they can go in. Which makes no sense - it's making it harder for the people who are supposed to be there than for the people who aren't. It's the opposite of sense.

• Like 2

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Well, today marks the first time I ever received notice of termination by someone changing my computer password while I was in the bathroom.

Yes, really.  I'm kinda hurt they fired me, but that job was so shitty I'm kind of happy I don't have to fo it anymore.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

8 hours ago, Raincloak said:

Well, today marks the first time I ever received notice of termination by someone changing my computer password while I was in the bathroom.

Yes, really.  I'm kinda hurt they fired me, but that job was so shitty I'm kind of happy I don't have to fo it anymore.

What a crappy thing to do.

I'm kinda sad for you, but kinda not since you didn't want to be there.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 4/6/2017 at 2:26 PM, Tomu-san said:

Sounds to me like nobody is letting them in - they just swipe and walk in. While the people who are supposed to be in the building have to swipe and enter a pin before they can go in. Which makes no sense - it's making it harder for the people who are supposed to be there than for the people who aren't. It's the opposite of sense.

.. say what ?!!?! ... wow.. that is blooming bizarre :D

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

I'm gonna smite Spotify for mixing perfectly good rock tunes with lousy C-list songs in the same playlist.  Don't waste my precious bandwidth on the crappy music, ok?  I need to be in the groove.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raincloak said:

I'm gonna smite Spotify for mixing perfectly good rock tunes with lousy C-list songs in the same playlist.  Don't waste my precious bandwidth on the crappy music, ok?  I need to be in the groove.

How are you feeling about the whole job thing today?  Have you had time/space to put some perspective on it yet?

I dunno, depends whatcha mean by perspective.  I am enjoying my brief time off, doing some fun things I wanted to do but couldn't/didn't have energy for while working, and now it is time to get over my damn emotional hangups about job applications and get my ass another job.  Even if I hate it, at least I'd have money, which would solve one of my problems.

I decided to not tell my relatives I got fired, because they would react with advice I do not want, which would just make me more anxious.  I just wanna have some self righteous anger and then move on.  I don't wanna talk about what I "did wrong" and how I can be "different next time," because I've heard and discussed it all ad nauseam and I haven't found any cure-all solutions.  I know some of the mistakes I made, if not how to correct them, but it's no one else's problem to solve.

Today I'm calling in some debts and filing taxes and tidying the apartment, which got into pretty poor shape due to my crappy state of mind recently.  I still have a second part time job which isn't gonna support me long term, but between that and my meager savings, I have a safety margin of a couple months before I run out of rent money.  Job applications will begin this evening or tomorrow.

• Like 3

I have just spent AN HOUR on the phone trying to get my laptop returned to me. :angry:  It was sent away for repair and it was agreed (after about an hour or so of complaining) that the company would collect and return the laptop to me (they wanted me to take it into store, 200 miles away across the North Sea and a 12 hour ferry crossing) but now they're saying that they can't find any reference to that phone call and that I would have to arrange to have the laptop picked up and paid for myself. 

I am am not a happy bunny.  I will NEVER buy anything from PC World ever again!

Today I most industriously cleaned out my fridge, and scrubbed the icky produce drawer, and found some tidy organizing bins in which to stash my food.  Yay, Raincloak!

A while later, I noticed a fresh coat of sticky brown stuff all over everything in the fridge, including the produce I just put in the drawer.  Turns out the syrup bottle was leaking.  And now I have to clean the entire fridge again.

Fuck this, I'm going to bed.

2 hours ago, Raincloak said:

Today I most industriously cleaned out my fridge, and scrubbed the icky produce drawer, and found some tidy organizing bins in which to stash my food.  Yay, Raincloak!

A while later, I noticed a fresh coat of sticky brown stuff all over everything in the fridge, including the produce I just put in the drawer.  Turns out the syrup bottle was leaking.  And now I have to clean the entire fridge again.

Fuck this, I'm going to bed.

Ouch! 

Maple syrup? Blame Canada! Blame Canada!

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I hab a code.  It sucks.  Human rhinovirus and all its 99+ serotypes* can go fuck itself, preferably somewhere far away from my nasal tissues.

*Raincloak has been reading Wikipedia