Forums are back in action! ×

Skyrim

Oh man. Picked it up on Friday, went to the gym Saturday morning and promptly came back to dive in for the afternoon.

About 8 or 9 hours in, I went into an abandoned wing of a palace and unexpectedly wound up on a side quest, inside the mind of a psychotic long-dead emperor who was being possessed by the demon prince of madness.

...this game is awesome.

I just realized there was a off topic board, only been here a few days. My wife is going away for the weekend, so I expect to put in 20 hours + on this game Friday-Sunday. I'm switching it up this time around as I always played a warrior in Morrowind and Oblivion, I'm going with a Mage now. MUCH harder.

Possible spoiler (highlight to read): "I took the long was around to see the Graybeards and ran into a sabercat at level 4, I had to reload 5 times before I could beat that thing with my initial spells (haven't bought anything more powerful yet, wanna make my way to the Mage College first). Even then I got lucky. you die so fast without armor! I'm gonna have to load up on protection spells."

Anyway, I'll be posting throughout the weekend on my nutrition to get any tips on things I could change/do easier. I'll stop by here as well and update if the thread gets going.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain

i'm not going to lie. this game makes me sad. not because of the game itself but because of the fact that i'm too poor to a)own a game system or tv it can play on or B) have the game. This can change by christmas...maybe. lol

Ps3 or xbox version? Which is best?

It's kinda hard to get a reliable comparison from anyone other than a professional game reviewer as anyone else probably doesn't own a copy on more than a single system (xbox, ps3, pc). Usually however the PC versions are the best for games from this series as they lag less than the consoles and you can tailor the game to how you want to play it with all the custom stuff you can get into on the PC.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain

It's kinda hard to get a reliable comparison from anyone other than a professional game reviewer as anyone else probably doesn't own a copy on more than a single system (xbox, ps3, pc). Usually however the PC versions are the best for games from this series as they lag less than the consoles and you can tailor the game to how you want to play it with all the custom stuff you can get into on the PC.

Well i certainly won't be playing on pc. I have thing with keyboards.

I can't wait to get my hands on this but unfortunately with about 5 different deadlines looming in the next 4-5 weeks and then exams in January it's going to have to wait a while. Luckily though I get a week off after exams in January and usually do something to treat myself (new game, holiday etc.) and this year I think this is going to be top of my list (although Dark Souls and Gears of War 3 may also get a look in). Watching a video review of it the day it came out did nothing to help quell my desire to play it

Guest Snake McClain

I can't wait to get my hands on this but unfortunately with about 5 different deadlines looming in the next 4-5 weeks and then exams in January it's going to have to wait a while. Luckily though I get a week off after exams in January and usually do something to treat myself (new game, holiday etc.) and this year I think this is going to be top of my list (although Dark Souls and Gears of War 3 may also get a look in). Watching a video review of it the day it came out did nothing to help quell my desire to play it

i've heard good things on dark souls.

I heard good things about it as well. As for Gears of War 3, it'll be 30 bucks at Walmart on Black Friday. If I can't get it there, I'll wait a few months until I finish with Skyrim and burn out on BF3.

500 / 330 / 625

i'm not going to lie. this game makes me sad. not because of the game itself but because of the fact that i'm too poor to a)own a game system or tv it can play on or B) have the game. This can change by christmas...maybe. lol

I might be biased, since I've only ever owned Playstations, but the PS3, from what I've read, is meant to be less laggy for most games, usually has slightly better graphics and doesn't break as often.

The argument for the Xbox is usually that the multiplayer is better and it has more exclusives (though it seems about even to me, I've never wanted a game and not been able to play it). It's also cheaper and more people own them (hence better multiplayer, cheaper used games).

I personally chose the PS3 because I never play multiplayer and don't buy that many games, but like things to work and last. Plus, it had Metal Gear Solid 4 and I had to have that.

I want to play Skyrim very badly. But my PS3 and TV are at home, I don't have enough time to really enjoy it, I never completed Oblivion (always got distracted halfway through) and I'd rather wait until it comes down in price...it looks incredible though. I'm very jealous of my friends who had the foresight to take their consoles with them (or have super-PCs).

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

Guest Snake McClain

I might be biased, since I've only ever owned Playstations, but the PS3, from what I've read, is meant to be less laggy for most games, usually has slightly better graphics and doesn't break as often.

The argument for the Xbox is usually that the multiplayer is better and it has more exclusives (though it seems about even to me, I've never wanted a game and not been able to play it). It's also cheaper and more people own them (hence better multiplayer, cheaper used games).

I personally chose the PS3 because I never play multiplayer and don't buy that many games, but like things to work and last. Plus, it had Metal Gear Solid 4 and I had to have that.

I want to play Skyrim very badly. But my PS3 and TV are at home, I don't have enough time to really enjoy it, I never completed Oblivion (always got distracted halfway through) and I'd rather wait until it comes down in price...it looks incredible though. I'm very jealous of my friends who had the foresight to take their consoles with them (or have super-PCs).

I agree. PS3 has everything I want to play EXCEPT one game. Forza 4. That game is almost an xbox seller for me. But MGS4, infamous, drake's games, and skyrim on a ps3...hard rain (say what you want)...there are just too many games on that end of the scale to get me to not buy it. plus a blu ray player. almost no choice at all.

If it's time constraints, don't do it, too addicting.

500 / 330 / 625

I caved. Downloading off steam now, forseeing hours of pleasant escapism followed by a hollow-eyed tomorrow. But hey.

I don't think I'd want to be a vampire werewolf anyway, it's too immortal magic ninja princess mermaid. Plus, the angst and personal confusion when it comes to vampires vs werewolves.

I put in 20+ hours between Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday morning then switched to BF3. Got from lvl 4 to 17 I think and killed somewhere along the line of 7 dragons and one dragon priest. Those priests be hard.

500 / 330 / 625

Guest Snake McClain

I literally just got a free ps3 like two days ago. the disc drive is bad and i'm going to order a new one this weekend from ebay or wherever if the price is right. Then i need a controller. After that I'll be playing some sky rim. gonna be a couple weeks it seems though.

Guest Snake McClain

I daren't buy this game - I'm pretty certain it would take a significant portion of my life. I remember the first time I played Fallout 3....a medieval version of that with random dragons?!...bye bye life.

Pretty much the same feelings i have. except for the fact i'm going to buy it and anytime i'm not at work or at the gym i'll be home playing this game. because i have nothing else to do at home. I think I sunk over 100 game hours into fallout 3.

I have to write a grad paper this weekend on shaped charges, so I probably won't get to play. however, I am taking a break from it to have my annual Risk night with my old high school buddies.

500 / 330 / 625