Forums are back in action! ×

Oregon Coast Nerd -- 90+ to lose

Hello Everyone,

I'm a 46 y.o. guy who recently relocated to the beautiful Central Oregon Coast.  It's an achievement unlocked a decade (possibly a lifetime) in the making.  Next achievement that I need to unlock I need help with.  I'm about 95lbs from my goal weight as of today and a bit of guidance would help me greatly.  The small community I live in has a gym to use, however it's a very expensive membership.  Plenty of roads with light traffic make walking and running easier than the city though, so that is an advantage.  

So, essentially a question to all of you who lost around 100 lbs, how'd you do it?  What was the hardest part?  What was the easiest?  Any insight would be awesome.

I'm sorry that I have very little for an introduction, my mind is racing in several different directions.

Happy Friday!!

~RJ

I went to the cliffs around central and southern Oregon when I was younger, around 19. One of the most picturesquely beautiful places I've been. I'm excited for you and your fulfillment of a long-standing goal.

Weight loss is not something I have had to battle with personally, but I know several who have and have helped a few of them in my time. There's a lot of different pathways to losing weight, and they all depend greatly on the individual. The first fight starts in the kitchen, and I think that's something most people here would agree with. Changing eating habits is one of the hardest things I, and most people I've worked with, have ever done on their quest for changes in their bodies. But the key is creating sustainable ways to eat, and not getting on something short-term that crashes your weight and drastically restricts your diet. It's a life-style change that should change and evolve with your growing interest and knowledge, not something done for just a few weeks or months. 

As far as exercise, there's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. Walking is tremendously good exercise, especially for those looking to lose the amount of weight you are. Running and jogging are great too, and depending on your ability levels, working toward something like interval training with running could be a great way to get things moving, but take that slow and make sure your heart is in good shape before anything too intense in that department. 

I personally always recommend weight lifting. There's an excellent article on this website that covers it far better than I could: What Burns More Calories: Cardio, Intervals, or Weight Training? by Steve Kamb. (I have personally trained someone more than 100 pounds over weight in lifting weights, and he responded incredibly well. Sadly, he would not manage his diet and this stunted his fat loss goals. He still lost over twenty pounds in around three months.)

The question you ask is a large one, and the time investment in figuring out how to do it is also large. It is very, very rewarding though. Keep asking questions. 

Best,

Mr. B

Level 1 Recruit

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHR: 0

Bodyweight: 181 lbs.

Current training max- Squat: 355 lbs. | Bench: 95 lbs.x15 (injury) | Deadlift: 375 lbs.

Group Challenge Thread