Forums are back in action! ×

I Did It

I have my gym induction tomorrow :D

I've been telling myself that bodyweight exercises in my room are enough for the past year, but I've not seen any improvement and it is so easy to sit down and play on Skyrim instead.

I figure that if I'm paying for a gym membership, failing to go would be a literal waste of money. With bodyweight exercises in my room, I don't actually lose anything when I end up playing Skyrim for five hours straight.

I do have a quick gym related question; I hate cardio with a passion and I was largely intending to alternate gym and swimming each day with a break on sunday. I was planning on doing almost exclusively free weight exercises whilst in the gym with little or no cardio or assisted machines. Would this be a bad idea?

Not at all, that is in my humble opinion and ideal mix of strength and conditioning. Swimming is a great recovery tool, as its light enough not to impede on neural recovery, but gets the blood flowing to the damaged muscle tissue to help it regrow.

You've got a really great attitude and mindset going, don't let PT's or gym rats discourage you or try to tell you how it should be done, you will reap the rewards for you hard efforts and adhering to sound exercise principles.

Don't forget to leverage the power of this community too, there are lots and lots of very knowledgeable folks here who will guide and support you in this.

Are you eating while your reading this?

Congrats. Definitely follow Steve's rules for getting work done at the gym. You are going to workout, not talk. Have a plan for your work, work your plan.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Congratulations!

I had a gym at home, just a basic Nautalis machine. But I couldn't ever get much done, I'd start a workout, then in between sets it occured to me I could go check my PC, or someother nonsense, and I ended up not coming back to finish the workout. I find going to a place for a specific purpose works best for me, sounds like you may be similar.

Good luck!

I've had decent results from working out in my room. You're right about it's to easy to sit down and play games instead. It was great prep work for joining a gym though! I was already decently strong and wasn't to embarrased when I started.

Hope that made sense. I'm not sure it did?

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

i totally agree with you about the money being a motivator. as for your question, i hate cardio to some degree as well but i think it often just involves some searching...and maybe the gym will open up doors you've never thought of. personally, i love the motivation that comes with taking a class. everything from step to kickboxing. you get a different workout every time and the instructors are very motivating. plus, the community aspect in a class gives me some extra oomph. also, if they have tvs you can plug into on the cardio machines those can be a good way to just zone out and put in 30 minutes pretty easily. swimming is great as well, of course, but, hey you're paying for it, why not try some new things?

i totally agree with you about the money being a motivator. as for your question, i hate cardio to some degree as well but i think it often just involves some searching...and maybe the gym will open up doors you've never thought of. personally, i love the motivation that comes with taking a class. everything from step to kickboxing. you get a different workout every time and the instructors are very motivating. plus, the community aspect in a class gives me some extra oomph. also, if they have tvs you can plug into on the cardio machines those can be a good way to just zone out and put in 30 minutes pretty easily. swimming is great as well, of course, but, hey you're paying for it, why not try some new things?

The swimming is part of the membership :D

Thanks for all the advice guys, I had been feeling nervous until now :)