Forums are back in action! ×

Coming to you live from somewhere in the middle of the Pacific

Howdy folks.

I'm not entirely sure how I stumbled across the site, but I liked what I read: articles on the Paleo diet, barefoot running, and generally just finding a fitness-oriented site that speaks my language. I'd been consider paleo and minimal running for a while, but Steve's writing kinda pushed me over the edge on both subjects.

About me: I'm a US Marine currently afloat in the middle of the Pacific on deployment. I'm in pretty good shape (I do 20 deadhang pullups, a max score on a core item in our physical fitness tests), but the last mile of my fitness goals are proving to be a lot harder. I'm 5'10" and 180-183 lbs. I'm comfortable at this weight but I'd like to trade about 8-10 lbs fat for muscle. I was always a big kid growing up, weighed 220 in college, and it still haunts my body. I want to see my abs (hell, so does my wife), and I want to get my 3 mile run time down from 24' to <21'. I've recruited my best friend and my brother as accountability partners, to harass me every day when I get online (and I return the favor; they've got goals of their own).

I've taken this deployment as an opportunity to shift hard into a paleo diet, I've packed a lot of beef jerky and nuts and homemade dried fruit. Too early to see any definite results yet, but I feel pretty good. On ship we've got cardio equipment everywhere, a small weight room that's usually completely packed, the flight deck to run laps, and a large open mat area downstairs with some medicine balls. Any suggestions on employing any of this stuff are welcome.

I really have no idea where to go from here on this forum, but you all seem like a friendly bunch so I figured I'd just jump in feet first. So hi!

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

I've got a pretty good mixture of exercises for mix-and-match that I usually recommend to people looking to strengthen their abs. You want it?

As for SEEING abs, paleo + general fitness is my current course of action, and we'll see where it gets me. Certainly it can't do worse than what I was already doing.

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Of course. Just post it here. I've got a few books with 12 week progressions with all manner of exercises, but I've been keeping it simple with 100 inverted punching bag situps every other day. If I don't get where I want to in the next couple of months, I may decide to mix it up a little. My abs don't seem to react the way they did when I was in my 20s. :-)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance