Forums are back in action! ×

Gaining Hamstring Flexibility

I've always wanted to be able to just bend over and touch my toes, no stretching required. I can do it after stretching for 30-60 seconds or after running for a bit, but not cold. Is there any way to increase the flexibility other than stretching whenever I remember to?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I can answer with what I've done: stretching thoroughly after running. I became very flexible in high school running cross country. We would stretch as a team for 15-20 minutes before running (I don't think that was very effective) and then stretch individually when we came back from our runs. I always dedicated another full 15-20 minutes to stretching after and became the most flexible guy on the team. Stretching to cool down after my muscles are warmed up definitely helped my cold-start flexibility.

Today I continue to do 15-20 minutes of static stretches after leg workouts/running. I'm slightly less flexible than high school when I was doing this stuff every day but still significantly more than the average guy.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Squats below parallel. Your hammies will become quite flexible.

Nice! I just began doing these again and I know going down that far that I am engaging my hamstrings more. It was actually the reason I was asking because I don't want to hurt something going down like that if my hamstrings are tight.

I can answer with what I've done: stretching thoroughly after running. I became very flexible in high school running cross country. We would stretch as a team for 15-20 minutes before running (I don't think that was very effective) and then stretch individually when we came back from our runs. I always dedicated another full 15-20 minutes to stretching after and became the most flexible guy on the team. Stretching to cool down after my muscles are warmed up definitely helped my cold-start flexibility.

Today I continue to do 15-20 minutes of static stretches after leg workouts/running. I'm slightly less flexible than high school when I was doing this stuff every day but still significantly more than the average guy.

I never stretch before running, but always after. The way I understand it is that our muscles are like rubber bands, much less prone to be damaged when stretched if they're warmed up first.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've started doing lots of ham stretches as mine are badly tight. I could hardly get past my knees a week ago - I'm almost down to the floor now - so satisfying. I've been greasing the groove with lots of seated and standing stretches and some basic yoga poses like down dog. I WILL get my hands flat on the floor by Christmas!