Forums are back in action! ×

Training for Vibrams

So I've been thinking of getting Vibrams next year for when it gets warmer and I run outside again. In the time until then, I want to start strengthening my feet and calves and all that jazz.

I'm thinking that a good way to do this in winter in my apt would be to run up and down the steps in bare feet. I won't get the running technique or anything down yet, but going up and down the stairs on the balls of my feet should do it. The steps are carpeted, but I'm thinking the extra effort of going up and down rather than running across level ground should counteract that a bit.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I guess I am an outlier too, because I also just walked around barefoot before Vibrams. You could probably just take your shoes off when you get home and be set, and if you do body weight training at home then do that barefoot too. If you have the money you could get the KSO Treks, which I think are the hardest core hardcore VFF (they're inside is wool and the outside is kangaroo leather). Good luck either way, and congrats on deciding to purchase the most comfortable shoes you will ever own.

p.s. it just occurred to me that I read an article suggesting that going barefoot, and moving pencils from laying on the floor to a cup with only your toes are ways to strengthen your feet. I think it was in Men's Fitness, but don't hold me to either methods effectiveness.

You could try doing the 100-up challenge it's indoor-friendly and it's an interesting experiment. Besides this, I agree that walking around barefoot as much as possible is a great way to get started, with or without stairs. I'm working on an indoor barefoot exercise series for my site, but since you're a NF member, I'll give you a sneak-peak.

Go to your local carpet or hardware store and buy hallway runner protector (like this). It's essentially a plastic sheet with plastic spines on the bottom for holding onto the carpet and shouldn't cost much. They usually sell it by the yard/metre so grab a length that will suit your place. Place it upsidedown on the floor and walk/run on that. It'll be pretty uncomfortable, so bend your knees as much as you can and relax your feet. Try to lift them up instead of pushing them down. Do this for a few minutes each day and you'll be a barefoot runner from hell come summer.

Also, FYI, there's a new ultra-minimal VFF line called the SeeYa coming out next year so keep your eyes peeled!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

My shoes come off first thing when I get home, so walking around barefoot isn't an issue. I also where flippity flops all summer, which are flat and you kinda hafta curl your toes and land more on the middle of your foot to avoid kicking them off as you walk, so that might help as well.

I'll probably try some of those workouts and see how they help.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf