Forums are back in action! ×

i must be a monster...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

so the other day (yesterday on Thanksgiving I add) I was doing my push presses. Which was supposed to be 45 (the bar) and then 30lbs of weights on it. That's how i was remembering it. i went in early, through the weight on and when i picked it up to lift it I thought 'HOLY CRAP THIS IS HEAVY! I must be tired.'

So i do my set of 1x5 and put it down thinking again to myself "Good god that was hard. WTF?" then i count the weight. well I had put on 30lbs on EACH SIDE! not total. So instead of doing 75lbs i actually did 105lbs. I was like WIN BABY! And thus from now on I will be starting at 105lbs as I did 3x5 of that and 2x5 of 95lbs (form was slipping on the 105). I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I feel awesome.

congrats! First time I squated 245, it was by mistake...bad math. Doesn't matter. It counts.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

67alecto...been there too. Or showed up at the gym and realized I had mismatched shoes on. Definitely messes with your running stride.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Guest Snake McClain

best way to train that, when you haven't got a clue what you're lifting, that's how i got my 165kg deadlift :D

wow...that is a serious deadlift! damn.

congrats! First time I squated 245, it was by mistake...bad math. Doesn't matter. It counts.

Doesn't matter; still counts.

she put a bag on my head!

The flips side of that is when you lose track and put different weights on each side - so like 50lbs on one side and 75 on the other.

"Man, my left arm is feeling weak today!"

uhh...this would be pretty funny actually.

I mis-balanced my weights by mistake a few weeks back. I just set my 5RM on bench and was de-loading for my reverse grip bench, when I put up the first rep, it seemed waaaay off. I realized that one side was a bit off, about 25lbs off.

What a shocker that was.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Guest Snake McClain

why thanky much :) thats at 75kg BW as well :P (for you imperial types: 363lbs @ 165lbs BW) Chaos and Pain ftw

that is great motivation for me. i'm 190lbs and i'm only deadlifting 105lbs. I can't wait to make that kind of progress.

Guest Snake McClain

go for it it's an awesome feeling when you think 'yh i just picked up over double my bodyweight...' just gotta keep at it

I have push presses and squats again tonight. i'm considering trying to add 20 lbs to my squat just to see what happen. i feel the amount i'm doing is a good challenge but not quite exhausting. so i'm going to push a bit today. and hey if i can't do it i guess i just lower the weight right? no biggie. The only problem is i have to be able to do over 100 bw squats for my pro wrestling training. that is part of the warm up so i have been working that into the workouts too so i'm really sort of unsure the best way to do super heavy weights and do those and everything be effective.

Guest Snake McClain

100 bw squats in a row? crazy, try tabata bw squats to get you used to the burn, squat for 20 secs, rest for 10, rinse and repeat for 4 mins, great as a finisher but it takes a lot of will to do a second set :P

not doing 100 in a row YET! i can do around 60 straight out then i am pretty well plastered and need to do other stuff then i come do the other 40 as part of a "cool down" after lifting. I will be doing 100 in a row at some point soon though.

tabata squats....sounds awesome. this will be worked in. i should really think about trying this with all my bw workouts really. man this is a great idea. i just found my non lifting day workout i think.

100 bw squats in a row? crazy, try tabata bw squats to get you used to the burn, squat for 20 secs, rest for 10, rinse and repeat for 4 mins, great as a finisher but it takes a lot of will to do a second set :P

Used to do this in football camp to practice the pass protection stance. Damn does it burn. I got mine up to almost 2 minutes at one point if I remember correctly.

Edit: By the end you would have all the big guys in a row, down in the squat position looking like they were about to go number 2, yelling through the pain of being in the stance for so long. I wonder what those driving by thought of us.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain

By the end you would have all the big guys in a row, down in the squat position looking like they were about to go number 2, yelling through the pain of being in the stance for so long. I wonder what those driving by thought of us.

they were probably thinking, 'Work bran muffin. WORK!'

If it's what I was talking about, it's hold the squat position for 20.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf