Forums are back in action! ×

Hey!

My name is Emily. I found Nerd Fitness a few months ago, and even though I only looked at like two articles, it was pretty much the thing that motivated me completely. Before NF, I was at 250lbs before I turned 24 and just keep getting more and more depressed over it, and not going to the gym as often as I should. Now, I've quit (soda) pop (it's been about 4 months now!), I started getting better about going to the gym 3 days a week to run (I use the treadmill..shhh), now I'm going 4 days as well as attending strength classes at my gym...I've even dropped 30lbs. However, as I am moving forward, I keep coming back to this site..then the forums. And I realized, that I don't know a whole lot of people that I can really talk to about any of this..so here I am! Hello! :)

Okay so that's as it is now, but here are some of my goals:

Be able to run a 5k.

Go out into the weight room and be able to lift some of the heavier dumbells/barbells...and not hurt myself.

Get to 200lbs.

Join a Capoeira school (I currently consider myself training to train Capoeira....I took martial arts for 7 years, and it was fantastic and totally me)

Try incorporating more paleo recipes into my life (I live with a very very picky eater so this is pretty difficult... but he's trying :D)

MORE ARTWORK (you think this wouldn't be hard, but it is)

The nerd things:

SCA! Middle Kingdom, name: Malie Vale.

I lean more on the Nintendo side of video games, mostly Zelda (which is in fact..my life) and Pokemon, but lately have been playing more things like Monster Hunter and Bloodborne.

Soft spot for clones/stormtroopers.

• Like 2

Emily. 24. Level 2. Artist. Looking to lose 100 65 55 lbs!

Art Blog

"Your reality, sir, is nothing but lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!" -Baron Munchausen

Lose 100 lbs

45%
45%

Congratulations on all of your progress! It sounds like you've already accomplished amazing things and your upcoming goals all sound fun. I've always thought SCA would be pretty neat. How awesome is it?

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Congrats on your current progress :D Are you looking for a 5k program or just something to get you to those distances ( Zombies Run! is a really cool running game/app but it's not a structured program). Additionally, can you talk to someone in your gym? They usually offer a free 1 hour session with a PT and you can ask them some basic barbell/dumbell movements to get you going in that area!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Thanks, you guys! :D It's been a lot tough, fun work! I'm lucky to have a very awesome support group (my parents and boyfriend) so that helps a lot too. :)

Artemis- the SCA is great! I love it. The people in the SCA are like family, and there is just so much stuff to learn about and do. It's very involved. All that being said, I have been going to SCA events since I was 12, but I've never actually done any of the fighting in wars. I like heraldy/coat of arms stuff. If it's something that you're interested in you should find a local group! (http://www.sca.org/geography/findsca.html)  It's definitely something worth looking into if you are interested in medieval history.

Slates- I'm not looking for any programs..I kind of didn't think about it! I'm trying to go the distance..I can go 2 miles, but that is still really pretty rough for me. I honestly haven't really thought about using apps while running besides music ones. I will have to check that out.  As for the Personal Trainers..I grabbed a pamphlet and it doesn't have any information on like..a one little session for free, but they do offer classes, which I am taking advantage of. The strength class that I am taking now, we just used a weighted bar (no added weights) for the first time on friday and that was pretty helpful... :D I think my next step is just getting over the mental fear.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

Art Blog

"Your reality, sir, is nothing but lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!" -Baron Munchausen

Lose 100 lbs

45%
45%

mostly Zelda (which is in fact..my life)

O_O.. I apologize for all the things I did to Zelda/You when I was a kid playing that... game. Do you have any stories about Ganondorf then? *Sits down crosslegged, eagerly waiting*

Welcome... as has been said, you already seem to have a good start on your goals.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Ha! Is that how I said it? Well..I mean. It actually would be awesome to be Zelda. Maybe for a day. Or something. And as for Ganondorf, I actually like him a lot too. I really want there to be a game where it starts out with him being a friend to Link and Zelda then gets corrupted by power...that pig. Maybe it's too Kingdom Hearts-y now that I'm thinking about it, but I really really want it to happen!

I should probably stop. I could actually talk about those games all day long. I used to spend nights just researching religion in Hyrule for fun. Oops.

And also, thanks! :D

Art Blog

Lose 100 lbs

45%
45%

Ha! Is that how I said it? Well..I mean. It actually would be awesome to be Zelda. Maybe for a day. Or something. And as for Ganondorf, I actually like him a lot too. I really want there to be a game where it starts out with him being a friend to Link and Zelda then gets corrupted by power...that pig. Maybe it's too Kingdom Hearts-y now that I'm thinking about it, but I really really want it to happen!

I should probably stop. I could actually talk about those games all day long. I used to spend nights just researching religion in Hyrule for fun. Oops.

And also, thanks! :D

To be honest, you probably could have said any incarnation of "Zelda's life is mine" and I'd twist it a bit. You'll learn soon enough if you hang out here... :-)

Also, this is your thread, talk about games all you want.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Hi! Sorry for taking so long to respond. O:

I feel like this is a hard question..Especially since I'm not doing it! (soon, soon) I think Capoeira is very beautiful, flips and handstands aside, from what I've seen..I love the very controlled movements, I really love the whole like..get in a circle and drum and sing sort of thing. I really like the history that goes with it, and I've also heard that the history and the language are essential to learning Capoeira..which is also awesome!

I was home schooled until high school, and my "PE" activities were martial arts..I really enjoyed it! It was definitely a part of who I was, and helped me a lot with confidence issues. So coming from that background, and as an "adult", I think I would love to venture out into something more involved like Capoeira, to see more of what my body can do, etc. :) I hope that made some sort of sense haha.

Oh, also, there's that scene in the third season Avatar the Last Airbender that involves some Capoeira based animations and that encourages me more.

Art Blog

Lose 100 lbs

45%
45%