Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all! I'm new here and excited to have a place to type down all of the physical things I have decided to focus on. 6'2, 200lb and ready to rock, my metabolism has naturally started to diminish, but I'm just getting started. A month ago I signed up for two martial arts classes (same dojo) that pretty much teaches me in the ways of Samurai in feudal Japan. More recently I have realized that intense leg strength is required for much of the sword kata, so I have also gotten a gym membership at Planet Fitness to get my legs in gear. Further, on Friday's I would like to start going to open gymnastics for 2 hours to work on my flexibility as well as being comfortable while in the air. There are definitely things I need to work on, such as commitment, discipline, and proper eating habits. My worst enemy I have discovered is that I am entirely too lazy. Often I will sleep anywhere between 10-15 hours a night, or dip down to 5-6 when I'm feeling really good.

Any advice for a lvl 1?

Ooblik

Level 0

Human Monk

Aikido 9th kyu

IntroductionChallenge 1

"I know you are tired, but come. This is the way." ~Rumi

I've got around a decade or better of experience with Japanese martial arts, and am happy to hear you're taking your training seriously. Leg strength is definitely important. On a mechanical level, the best advice I can give you is to pay very close attention to your shoulders and elbows. I have tendinitis in my rotator cuff and elbow from my non-dominant side sword arm from stopping cuts thousands upon thousands of times. Research mobility drills for your upper body and do them before sword work. 

Also, congratulations on your gym membership. Eventually you may find planet fitness is limiting, if you decide you would like to deadlift. It's a tremendous exercise for leg and back strength, with a large carryover to ground combat. For now though, enjoy the gym and explore it as much as you can! 

If you're struggling with discipline and diet, challenging yourself to learn and use MyFitnessPal is something you might find beneficial. 

Hope to see you around! I'll be following your challenge. Good luck!

Mr. B

Edit: also, after reading your challenge thread, I thought I would throw you a link to www.bugei.com as a solid source for traditional katana on a budget. 

Level 1 Recruit

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHR: 0

Bodyweight: 181 lbs.

Current training max- Squat: 355 lbs. | Bench: 95 lbs.x15 (injury) | Deadlift: 375 lbs.

Group Challenge Thread