Forums are back in action! ×

Gaming through Skype

So my group is having to separate but we are talking about running the game through Skype or Roll20, does anyone have experience running a game like this? What should I be looking out for? How can I make this go smoother?

Argent, canton gules, chief dexter lion rampant or, armed and pizzled argent langued gules, sinister ramshead gules.

Shotokan Karate, Danzan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu, Fiorie Armizare

Roll20 is a good platform and also supports Google Hangouts. For starters, the DM should be prepared by uploading the maps/images and any monsters beforehand. Other than that, depends on how tactical vs narrative your game is. Trial and error my friend, the more you dig into it the easier it becomes in handling it

Lvl 65 Multitasker

it has no screensharing or something

but teamspeak is a lot better than skype for having group conversations

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

I used Roll20 when it first started.  the only issue I ever had was trying to figure out how to make the maps I wanted.  As the DM, I had to stay on top of my prep-work, as I couldn't just make up a map on the spot, like I tend to for in-person games.

If you just have one person out of town (like my current group), then Skype works fine.  I just turn on the camera as necessary so everyone can see the map.

As with all things gaming, YMMV, just play around with it and tweak things until it works for your group.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

it has no screensharing or something

but teamspeak is a lot better than skype for having group conversations

I'd go with Teamspeak as well, but I come from an MMO background rather than table tops.  I've gotten semi-paranoid about DDoS-ing through skype, which is all kinds of annoying.  

That said, for the table tops, skype would probably work just fine.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

My mates and I play some D&D via Skype every 2 weeks. Been doing it for awhile. It's not bad. But we find that you get a better atmosphere if you can all be on video chat. The issue there is that one persons bad connection can screw the whole thing. The DM should have a USB camera though, that way he can show the maps etc quite easily. As long as the camera quality is good.

Oddly, it can be more difficult in the beginning because you all talk over, when you can't see each other it makes it impossible to know when some one is about to speak, but that works itself out.

• Like 1

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Oddly, it can be more difficult in the beginning because you all talk over, when you can't see each other it makes it impossible to know when some one is about to speak, but that works itself out.

I actually wrote a paper for my Masters on this.  Specifically related to raiding in Warcraft, but the concepts are the same.  It's a really interesting dynamic.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I was looking into this last year. My boyfriend and I work EARLY and go to bed EARLY and thought maybe gaming with people online would work better than trying to find a mid-afternoon group of gamers here. The advice I got from everyone was to use roll20 for the actual gameplay, but use Google Hangouts or Skype for the video chat.

(Also, would anyone be interested in this?)

• Like 1

Oramac, that sounds really interesting. What subject was that for lol? I can't think of many where you can write about Warcraft raiding. What were your conclusions? (broadly lol :P )

Spoke to my DM, he gave up on Roll20 because he found it more extra effort and prefers the traditional method run over Skype.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

(Also, would anyone be interested in this?)

I would, but generally early means I'm at work.  :(  

Oramac, that sounds really interesting. What subject was that for lol? I can't think of many where you can write about Warcraft raiding. What were your conclusions? (broadly lol :tongue: )

Interestingly, it was for a marketing class.  The subject was non-traditional communication (or something like that).  I also went over using the Chat system, Emotes, Vent/TS/Skype, and Leet-speak.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

whitewineandcathair, It depends on day of the week but everyone in my group is a 9-5 profesional or grad student so we generally like to do every other Saturday from 11ish to 6ish. We are looking at a home brew old 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons game if you're interested we are in the planning stages. That goes for pretty much everyone but we'd want to cut it off at 6 players, we have 3 strong confirmations already

Argent, canton gules, chief dexter lion rampant or, armed and pizzled argent langued gules, sinister ramshead gules.

Shotokan Karate, Danzan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu, Fiorie Armizare

Since I got out of the navy we run all of our campaigns through roll 20 and talk via Skype. It's a really good platform once you learn it

Level 0 Human Ranger
STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

Follow me here: (you will probably have to be my friend to view, just add me and say you are from here and well motivate each other)

Food Log: MyFitnessPal

Workout Log: BodySpace

Current Challenge | Waking the Demon

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean