Forums are back in action! ×

C:\New Recruits\Men\Samuel-aka-Dr.Chrome

Hey there !

I'm Samuel. IRL names are'nt badass enough to be nicknames, so you may just call me Dr. Chrome (Insert evil laugh right here) I'll first warn you that I'm french speaking so I may make some mistakes.

I guess I'm geeky enough to fit in here. I've been looking for a good support group for a I love participating in forums ! So here I am.

I'm 21 and I want to get fit and healthy. I' ve been trying to improve my health for a while but it's like a roller coaster, I'm having motivation for a week and then loosing it for a month and so on. I know I have to watch myself because my dad and my grand fathers have diabetes and there is many heart problem in my family. I know I can prevent those and I hope I will! If I cant help my family to be more healthy it would be very good too!

I've always been chubby, but moving from my parent's and living by myself, cooking by myself got things worse. I've moved from 160 pounds (3 years ago), when I've left home, to 185 as of today. Since I'm in med school, studying to be a doctor, I think I have some kind of duty to show a good lifestyle and healthy habits. I like to understand how exactly my body work and I think this is something we all share as nerds.

I've started tracking calories on Myplate for 3 days and I'm walking a lot. I seek, here on Nerd Fitness, tips to improve my nutrition, to exercise more and to keep up my motivation !

I hope to see you around :)

Welcome! I started on myplate (it's a great tool for tracking calories!) and I started with walking and short burst of jogging (I couldn't job 1/4 mile straight at first), working my way up as my repertory system and leg muscles caught up. It works, I lost weight and got in better shape. Just know it's a long process, so stick with it. Good luck!

P.S. You'll hear a lot about the paleo diet and eating tons of protein here. Myplate has a nice graph in the lower right that shows the percentages of calories you get from protein, fat, and carbs. A big thing that helped me was try to keep carbs below 30% and protein above 30% on a daily basis.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Welcome to the forum. Since most people graduate college @ 22 b4 they go to med school, are you like Doogie Howser?

Wow a medical show with young NPH... Why have I never heard of this ! But no, unfortunately, I'm not any kind of genius, I'm just Canadian :P After high school, in Quebec, we can do an intensive science 2 years "pre-university" program. With hard work, good grades and a cool resume, we can get in med school right after !

@CoreyD Yeah I like Myplate ! I got the Iphone app, it's really convenient ! Were you doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) on purpose when walking/jogging ? I'm intrigued with it and I'm looking up for info about it :)

I consider Paleo, I think the idea of it is cool, but I love pasta sooo much.. Y.Y It's gonna be very hard to stick to paleo, but I'll give it a try, maybe next week!

Dude! Why do we not have this in Ontario!

Stupid Quebec and their fancy advantages *grumbles*

Just remember that paleo is not the be-all-end-all that some can make it out to be. Make sure you find what's right for YOU. :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Dude! Why do we not have this in Ontario!

Stupid Quebec and their fancy advantages *grumbles*

Just remember that paleo is not the be-all-end-all that some can make it out to be. Make sure you find what's right for YOU. :)

Yeah I have to agree that it is quite unfair ! At best, we can start med school at 19, it is ridiculously low compared to the RoC or US. Quebecers never do anything like RoC, for the best and for the worst :P

About paleo, I guess I will tweak it a bit. Can't give up on pasta and I don't want to get what some people have reported as "wheat intolerance" when I'm eating at someone's or anything :s

The whole wheat/gluten thing impacts like 1% of the population, and tends to get over representation, because no one brags on teh internetz about how paleo didn't make them feel awesome :P

19... considering most people in RoC are 21-22, thats if they get in on their first try. I still love visiting quebec though! I will never get over the idea of having a tap from a keg right at the table you sit at :D

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I didn't really do HIIT, it was walking with an interval of slow jogging until i couldn't jog anymore then back down to walking until I recovered, rinse and repeat for 3 miles. As I got in better shape, the jogging portions got longer, the walking shorter, and it became jogging mixed with a little walking instead of the other way around. Before I knew it I was jogging for 30 minutes straight. Now when I do jog, it's intervals of quick jogging with rest periods of slow jogging, I never have to go down to a walk.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The reason why I don't do HIIT is because the intensity is too high. Calorie-burning and energy expenditure is a function of work performed. Low intensity running allows me to perform the work of moving my entire BW for as long as my muscles and heart will allow. HIIT on the other hand is so intense that lactic acid saturation happens way too fast within muscle to maximize calorie burn. I have the same concern with Crossfit. I view HIIT and crossfit as a strength/endurance blend with emphasis on strength. Whereas low intensity running/walking optimizes calories burned. I like to eat, so I tend to want to maximize calorie burn efficiency.

Right now I estimate that I am burning 5,500-6,000kcal per week. I don't think I could achieve this with a high intensity workout. It's just a matter of what your goals are.

I'm sure many people will disagree, but I am willing to reconsider in the face of a robust argument.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

The whole wheat/gluten thing impacts like 1% of the population

Oh really ? I hope I'm the 99% then. (lolol!)

My last attempt at jogging was quite a failure (Exhausted and out of breath after 10 minutes) but if I allow myself to walk before getting to this point and keep going it may be better ! Thanks for your opinion about HIIT ETFnerd, I've seen contradictory information about wich is better so I'm still making my mind. Any exercise at all will be a good start but I'd like to optimize my fat burning for now :)

LISS is the way to go for beginners. A C25K program or something similar is a good starting point. Only once you've 'built' your aerobic engine can you start working on the anaerobic nitro boost :P

That's how I worked up to running from walking too. Seems like a sensible approach, although I feel for the folks who have shin splints (ouch!).

I had some of the worst shin splints I ever heard of when I started, I couldn't walk a gentle incline for a 1/4 mile at one point without having to stop due to the pain because I let my muscles atrophy so much. After I started running about a mile straight, they were the major factor in limiting how far I could run, not breath. It took me another 3 months or so to get to the point where I could run 3 miles without pain. I probably can't do it anymore, which is why I'm going to add some running and sprinting back into my routine so that I can work out and condition my lower legs.

Chrome, I really can't recommend enough just setting a mileage goal for yourself. Mine was 3 miles, which took about 45 minutes at my worst. Just run as much of it as you can and walk the rest, you'll improve. Just make sure you finish the distance. Before long you'll be running the whole thing.

500 / 330 / 625

HIIT on the other hand is so intense that lactose saturation happens way too fast within muscle to maximize calorie burn.

Sorry, meant to say lactic acid. I don't know what I was thinking last night...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Howdy!

Interval training helped me to get my distance run up from under 1/4 mile before getting winded to 2 miles. As for shin splints, I don't get them when I run toe-heel (like when running barefoot), I just get a super intense calf workout.

I'm curious about this pre-U system. I'm (supposedly) working on a term paper about how accreditation/subsidies in higher education reduce innovation, and that's exactly the sort of thing that should be more prevalent.

I'm curious about this pre-U system. I'm (supposedly) working on a term paper about how accreditation/subsidies in higher education reduce innovation, and that's exactly the sort of thing that should be more prevalent.

If you want more information you can start here ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP or here http://www.fedecegeps.qc.ca/english/what-is-a-cegep/ or just ask me :)

Paleo diet, bare foot running... I should get one of those bear fur pantie and go hunt squirrels \o/